Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
Hang in there bro, get well even the best riders go down it's having the courage to get back up!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Todd!! I didn't think ya'll had curves in Texas? :0

Don't beat yourself up man! I came to this site,due
to a recent crash,kinda like yours in the injury dept.
Ive crashed a lot!! Road Atlanta,Talladega,and several
street crashes on the road,and a few bad dirt bike offs.

This current one has my shoulder and left arm in agony every day.
Its been a few months,and I drive a 10 speed tractor trailer nightly.
I'm old,broken,sore,and unsure I will ever be 100 % again,but I'm not quitting!!

On the wife advice..ease into it..A good evening out,few drinks,and just start talking
about what your gonna ride when your healed up.She may object at first,then start making deals!
Tell her what your gonna do to not crash again,and be honest about what riding does for you.
Stay with it,and heal up!!:devil

edit..sorry..saw your in WI. wth you doing in WI? that aint Texas :_)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hello all, sorry I haven't posted any updates in a few days/week.
I'm doing much better.
I was so happy to have gone back to work this last Friday for about 6 hours, and intend to be full time tomorrow and on.
Moreout of stubbornness than toughness I think, I already took my self off the narcotics a few days ago- (still have plenty left btw). Just ibuprofen and claritin/allergy this morning.
The worst of my pains was my right arm radiculopathy(neatr impingement pain), not all the fractures I have in my back, ribs and scpaula/shoulder blade.-
Thank you for my 'family' here too.

Todd!! I didn't think ya'll had curves in Texas? :0

Don't beat yourself up man! I came to this site,due
to a recent crash,kinda like yours in the injury dept.
Ive crashed a lot!! Road Atlanta,Talladega,and several
street crashes on the road,and a few bad dirt bike offs.

This current one has my shoulder and left arm in agony every day.
Its been a few months,and I drive a 10 speed tractor trailer nightly.
I'm old,broken,sore,and unsure I will ever be 100 % again,but I'm not quitting!!

On the wife advice..ease into it..A good evening out,few drinks,and just start talking
about what your gonna ride when your healed up.She may object at first,then start making deals!
Tell her what your gonna do to not crash again,and be honest about what riding does for you.
Stay with it,and heal up!!:devil

edit..sorry..saw your in WI. wth you doing in WI? that aint Texas :_)
Thanks for your kind words, I hope your injuries continue to heal well too.

Awww, man, that sucks. I'm glad you're alive to tell the tale. Tell me, though, as you were crashing, were you more worried about yourself or your bike? It was the latter for myself, which is why I asked. Here's to a speedy recovery. Your wife may relent in time if you don't have kids, but if you do, I wouldn't count on it. Maybe time for a two seater sports car instead?
NOw that you ask, I think the split second it happened- more for my mint condition K5 than myself, I managed to bounce off a bunch of trees flying thru the air at about 60-70ish? The bike was stopped by one tree in it's tracks, kept going and if I posted those pics of the tank flattened- that took a lot of force- I had just filled up with gas too- I was suprised it didn't burst open, catch fire- then I could have callled it a 'crash and burn'! I was completely unconscious for about 2 minutes they told me right away, but was breathing. I 'woke' with bad arm and back pain (ribs, back and scapula fractures)- and was still just more worried about my bike. I actually thought I was going to get up and dust it off and make it to the group tide I was going to! THAT was not happening at that point however.

That sucks, man! Stay with us on the forum even if you don't keep riding.
Thanks- great family you all are

Hope you're coping ok Todd. Crashes are a bitch.
I think a few of us have had some bad situations in motorcycling.
Everyone eventually has a cross road they come to.
I've been down hard a couple times and a handful of smaller stuff.
I started riding pretty young, I've had more bikes than I can remember.
I crashed about 8-9 years ago, thats when I broke my ribs and cracked clavicle. Forgot my wrist was broken also.
I managed to ride the bike home afterwards in pain.

Laid up for a while, after I had got home, I couldnt even get out of bed the next day, was busted up worse than I knew.

If it werent for my shear love of riding, an not remembering what it was like to not ride, I might have stopped.

But here I am today, riding track mostly.
That choice is always yours to make, no one can tell you different.
Whatever you choose, own it and simply be happy.

Hope you get feeling better soon and see good improvement. Sometimes it seems like it takes forever, but looking back, it will seem shorter.
Holler later bro.
Thank you for your kind words and sharing some of your incredible story also.

That sucks to hear. Glad you took ownership of it....best way not to repeat it.

First couple of days hurt the most, but thats just the body making a game plan for recovery. Just take it one day at a time, and you will heal. Each day will be better than the last.

Here's to your speedy and full recovery :cheers:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Thanks for the kind words

Sucks about your off. Glad you are able to tell your story. Taking ownership says a lot about your character. Hoping for a speedy recovery and getting back on two wheels soon.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Thanks- Twas nobodies fault but mine. I'm blessed nothing except a few trees in the woods- not someones lawn/garden was else that was injured.
The friend who also crashed on the same corner about 100 feet in front of me had managed to get more speed bleed off before his crash- and he is repairing his bike (his net finds for his apriia will be abot $1200 he says), and his physical injuries were not as severe as mine.
We had our Sena headsets on with each other at the time; he says he called for me, made it over to me, and thought I was dead- says he really freaked out- I'm feel bad for him for that.
he then said he loosed my chin strap a bit and say I was breathing and pulled me off of a tree a was draped over ( I had flown FAR from my bike ). He said I was incompletely out for about 2 minutes. I now remember him telling me that while I was laying on the ground, but when I got in the ambulance, and at the trauma bay at the level 1 trauma center here in Milwaukee- I was GCS 15- (basically means talking correctly/answering questions, eyes were OK, and I cold move extremities and localize pains)
I told them I did not pass out- when it turns out I had lost consciousness big time.
So essentially- I have/had a major concussion- my ~ 2 month old HJC helmet saved alot upstairs.

Oh man so sorry to hear this Todd...I know I have definitely been there all it takes is time and you'll be better than before..because you are wiser now. Another silver lining to this which may apply, you now have the option of turning your cashed bike into a track bike!

About the wife, mine was anti bike too when my shattered forearm was mending.....8 weeks after that I had another bike in the garage..I couldn't even ride it home I had to have my boy pick it up for me....so if she knows how much it means to you she will see the light....

God Bless and here's to a quick and painless recovery :tits:
Thank you for your kind words.
Possibly- I've been considering- State Farm is putting it on Net auction- and there estimate for it salvage is $1406. I'd love to get and keep it, there are still a few good parts- but the engine is still perfect with no fluid/casing leaks!- I'll be working on that too, but without a nearly total rebuild- I wopld never put it on the street or any track.
My wife may come around too- she knows me too well after 22yrs of marriage.

I agree. I hate to say it, but someone who loves you won't try to stop you from doing what you love. Accidents happen and you're still here.
Thank you for the kind words- agreed.

Sweetness!! did you have accessories coverage?? I got an extra $3100 for mine and then bought the bike back with $1500 of it. I suggest everyone add this to their policy.
They are giving me some 100% for accessories/upgrades- so they say also. I've only had it since last september, and got it already so nice- I'm coming up with several hundred dollars I think they'll agree to also.
They already estimated $1406 on online auction- technically, I still have the title in my name, but I'm sure I have to give up my rights when they salvage it. I'm still trying to work on getting it back too before it's gone. The engine- has some mods, runs perfect- and currently has 14,600 miles on it.

For those I didn't quote, thank you just as much.
I'm sorry I'm missing you at Deals Gap this year-
Thank you for the love of this family,
I wish you all the best,
Todd

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
Good to hear you're doing well. I'm impressed you're back to work already, but I can empathize that sitting around the house is no fun.

Yes, coming across a motionless rider is no fun. A friend of mine whiskey throttled though a mud puddle on his DR650 about 10 miles from nowhere last year. He climbed a 5 ft bank and ended up against a tree with the bike on him.

I was about 100' behind him to stay out of the dust and when I came of over the crest of the hill, he was just gone. When I went another 50 ft, I finally saw the bike back in the brush and he wasn't moving. As I climbed the bank he spoke to me and that was a great relief.

After getting the bike and him down the bank, we rode the 20 miles to the hospital with his broken left ankle. It was either that or an hour plus wait for an ambulance and another hour riding in the back of said ambulance over a rough, rocky forest road. Neither one is fun.

I realized I needed to take some updated first aid courses.

Later I found I had just caught him going off road on my gopro.

Reactions: conner98

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thank you for those kind words and story John.

Again, thank all of the family here also- it really helps.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Thank you for those kind words and story John.

Again, thank all of the family here also- it really helps.
Auction?? They won't just sell it to you directly???? I dealt with Progressive and they were great..very easy to deal with. I spoke to the same adjuster the whole time and all I had to say was "can I buy the bike back ?" The next day he gave me a quote on the claim payments for the bike with and without me buying it back. You should def get fist dibs on your own bike.

Do you have any pics of the bike after the crash? Mine was a high side so it was pretty bad. Rear subframe was cracked in two places so instant total loss. Buying it back just to sell the parts alone would have been worth it. Buying it back and rebuilding it into something that will make me a better/faster/safer rider was awesome!!

I really hope it works out how you want it to.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Auction?? They won't just sell it to you directly???? I dealt with Progressive and they were great..very easy to deal with. I spoke to the same adjuster the whole time and all I had to say was "can I buy the bike back ?" The next day he gave me a quote on the claim payments for the bike with and without me buying it back. You should def get fist dibs on your own bike.

Do you have any pics of the bike after the crash? Mine was a high side so it was pretty bad. Rear subframe was cracked in two places so instant total loss. Buying it back just to sell the parts alone would have been worth it. Buying it back and rebuilding it into something that will make me a better/faster/safer rider was awesome!!

I really hope it works out how you want it to.
TY- I'm trying to go that route.
I'm not as lawyer- but they haven't paid out anything yet, and the title is legal in my name, I'm still here,
it's still my bike!

Reactions: Newyork

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
OK, Today was 1 week back at work! In all honesty, I went back too soon after my 'Concussion with Loss of consciousness'
I've recovered enough now, to realize how off I was and how Big a HIT my head, and spine/back really took.

After humming and hawing though- I've made my decision (after talking to the rider/friend who first trailered my crashed bike to his truck mechanic shop)-

I'M REBUILDING IT!!

With the payout minus the salvage to get it back- I still get about $3500 back, to rebuild it with!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ya may have realized how partial I am to the blue/white OEM fariing paint scheme combo I had,
and sort of proud like we all are of how clean that bike was, and how well it ran.

Well, days after my crash I could still use the computer/laptop some, and began looking for something like I had. A K5/6 Blue/white- nearly mint, w/ low miles. (Did I want any cheese to go with that whine?)

Well last night, I checked a neighboring town, and, I may have found one!
But until I HAVE IT, I'll chill.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
There was a K5 LiterBike in the back of my truck last night.

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
Bike fairy?

Reactions: Predat-R

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Look what showed up in the back of my truck last night!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Was it the 05' in Madison or Rockford?
Saw them recently figured you might bite on them
YES? Maybe, It was actually in Iowa, but we took trucked it to work in WI.
It was a 7 hr. round trip to get this bike.

He had it with him in Prairie du Chien WI.

Says he's only had it 3-4 wks.- The guy flips bikes, Title was not in his name, etc.
Vin's matched, shouldn't be a problem for me though.

It was in the Madison CL., but not Milw. one.

When I mend, we'll have to ride some- slow in the driveway!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Congrats, Bike looks in mint condition. Give this one a little more love.:wink
Thanks, and it is in great condition too.
Can't wait to go over it a little and transfer a few parts to it too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Kudos to you for getting it into the pickup after what you went through.
You better tell the wife soon cuz it's gonna slip somehow.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Glad you took my advice

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Well look at you! lol :grin

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Kudos to you for getting it into the pickup after what you went through.
You better tell the wife soon cuz it's gonna slip somehow.
Thanks hd,
but no way did I get it into, out of the truck, or test drove it. My buddy who rides an s1000rr went with me and test drove it for me,:|

Glad you took my advice
It was all your advice NIck- that's what I"m tell'n my wife anywho:grin

Well look at you! lol :grin
Yea, go figure. :wink

Racerx- your literbike with your paint job looks awesome

21 - 40 of 51 Posts