Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
then they will fear you
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread on a different topic sparked an opinion of mine and didnt want to thread jack so thought it be good to bring up seperately and get some op's.
I think most all of us like a the nice crisp mean sound of a sportbike. However I do think such a thing as too loud. The average sportbike with the aversge aftermarket pipes pretty much sound somewhat similar and in the same basic neighborhood of sound quality and level. Some may get a bit louder while some not so much but for the most part a good clean sound that is not overwhelming at all while pulling outta the driveway and getting outta the neighborhood yet gets a bit mean sounding to mach the rpm/speed while getting on the main roads and hiwys. All great to my ears and nothing sounds better to me.
I'll compare this to the wekend worrior on the cruiser who can break windows while just at idle. The bike sounds the same in 1st gear at 2thou rpm as it does in 5th gear at 5thou rpm. I'm not a cruiser hater but it doesn't make any sense, no sinc between the sound and what the bike is doing. Just plain loud ugly noise. Every so often a sportbike comes along that is also much too loud. Will usually sound better than a cruiser but still not in my opinion a good sound at all. Also in its own way is just much too loud of sensless noise.
While I love to hear the sweet music made by our sportbikes, I just dont think being exessively loud sounds good at all. I think you reach a point where it takes away from the awesomenes of the bike instead of adding to it.
Now this is all just my opinion but it's also why some municipalities enforce motorcycle noise laws and why others are trying to get them enforced. Lets face it. If ur neighbor pulled his bike out at 5 am every morning to comute to work and it shook ur house, rattled ur windows and woke up ur kids you would want to go outside with a bat in ur friggin underware and pound him and his bike into cookie crumbs. Being excessively loud will be the cause to ruin it for all when you wont be able to even put respectable aftermakets on our bikes.
What do you think? Do you like the sound of excessively loud bikes and do you think it is what will do us all in in the end.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I like loud, i have a loud bike and a loud car so if i hear one it doesnt bother me. However with noise comes the complaints, and also people think you are going faster than you are just because its loud. But its just like everything else in this world and that is someone out there will have a problem with it no matter what it is. There is always those who have to complain, and for them i just go by and dont pay any attention to them because nothing will ever please them. Jealousy, emotions, and just plain stupidity contribute to this, but in the end i dont think it will cause any problems in the terms you are saying and if it does there will be mass uproar from it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Im with you man! I was in the bay area last weekend (I wasnt on my bike unfortunately but they were everywhere) and was passed by a guy on a gsxr. Bike was clean with its factory colors and all but DAMN it sounded like the guy was runnin no exhaust--just straight off the headers. Probably only throwing 6 or 7 grand RPM's but at 130dB thats ridiculous. I could hear him 10cars ahead of me with my windows up! Just my 2cents--I love the sound of my Yoshimura R-55

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think there are different types of loud and whilst I love the sound of a sportsbike at full throttle, the sound of a scooter with an open pipe really does grind my teeth.
Certainly if my neighbour was rev'ing the nuts off his GSXR 1000 with an open Akrapovic on a Sunday morning I'd say that was too loud, but if he went past me on the road full throttle, I'd say "Go, go GO!!"
Loud pipes do have a safety aspect too. If a car driver hears you coming before you get there, he's less likely to pull out in front of you or put you in any danger because he didn't know you were there. If you filter past traffic and have ever had a car pull out to do a U turn, you'll know what I mean. I like to let everyone know I coming so they can give me a clear path.
No, sportbikes which have loud pipes sound sweet to me so long as they are loud at the right times in the right circumstances.

Loud scooters and some loud cruisers....now that's too loud!!!

·
Operation ... squid
9,341 Posts
louder is better!!! :arsenal

·
Registered
57 Posts
I hate the gurgerling throat sound that those really loud harley guys seem to love, dont see how you want to "cruise" listening to that all day, espically with no helmet like they all do here in FL.

For sportbikes I like them loud, my 08 600 still has stock exhaust and I HATE it, next to other bikes I cant even hear mine running, kills me. I like to hear every RPM but dont want me ears to bleed either. A guy i ride with has a kawi with Roaring Toyz exhaust, basically a race fit slash cut and its on the verge of being too loud in my opinion but I still like it. Akro even for being a shorty is too quite for my taste, I like something in the middle I guess.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I miss my loud pipe

I had the hotbodies megaphone exhaust on my old k7 600 and loved it but i never thought about all those people on my block having to wake up to that noise and its probably why I got pulled over twice in the same month. I got a new bike a k6 1000 with the carbon fiber yoshi and its not as loud but I like it I can hear the other bikes next to me now.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I like it loud personally, hell I'm still runnin' outta my cat box so it's pretty noisy but it sounds good to me and the other guys I ride with like it too. I just haven't had the extra cash to get a slip on but I had to rip those restrictive stock cans off. I especially love it when some ass clown is ahead of me on the cell phone not paying attention, drop it down in 1st or 2nd and ride beside their window for a few miles!

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I like loud, sh!t trying to get mine louder during the off season(new headers, slash cut tip- no baffles exiting right under the peg should do the joband to bad I gotta keep the stock exhaust for inspection.). I had a chance to ride a 1450 ci harley with a nice set of vance & hines on it that thing was loud, the kind of loud you feel rumbling everything in your body and that was just idling. that was a nice different ride, loud but very nice a real head turner. I don't knowI just like loud but some crusiers do sound stupid being loud.

:arsenal

·
then they will fear you
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well the truth said about loud being safer I do agree with and as said in my origonal post I like the sweet music made by most sportbikes. I personally have the yosh r-77 on my 07 1k and its perfect sounding to me. loud enough yet not crazy and it's respectable at idle or when I pull out at 5:30am.
Being in nyc for my daily comute I can testify a million times how revin it up a bit has definately saved my ass but thats in nyc street traffic and usually besides other vehicles at low speed. Truth is when on the hiwy which I am also on every day, a bike even with very loud sound is not usually noticed until it passess or gets next to another vehicle. I am also in my car alot of the comuting days and at hiway speed between the sound of trucks and sound of wheeles on the heavy traveled turnpike ya just don't hear even the loudest bikes when they are behind you. Its really more when they are passing or in front of you and in that case you will usualy hear even a moderate sounding bike. So safety reasons are legit but excessively loud doesnt really do any more for that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Speaking of inspections. I don't have a horn. So when a stupid cager is trying to change lanes into me I just rev the hell out of it and they quickly realize there is more going on than their text messages. 99 750 header and an m4.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I like it loud personally, hell I'm still runnin' outta my cat box so it's pretty noisy but it sounds good to me and the other guys I ride with like it too. I just haven't had the extra cash to get a slip on but I had to rip those restrictive stock cans off. I especially love it when some ass clown is ahead of me on the cell phone not paying attention, drop it down in 1st or 2nd and ride beside their window for a few miles!
Yeah, that will teach em. I'll bet they appreciate sport bikes now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts