Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I know this is kind of a general question as some tech inspectors may be more strict then others but thought I'd ask anyways. Like 10 plus years ago I highsided and the tab in the frame that holds the shifter bolt broke off. I had a guy off craigslist weld it back on and he put a brace on it for extra strength. I've checked the weld over the years and it hasn't held up that well but with the brace on the gear shift is on there solidly, been ridding it for over 10 years with no movement or issues. Would I pass tech inspection with this? I recently moved next to Summit Point race track and really wanting to do a few track days this year. Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Clean it.

Waiting for some real track day junkies we have around here.

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
I doubt you would have any problem. It's looks to be a good repair and I don't think any tech inspection would even notice it.

They do usually grab the clip ons and pegs and give them a good pull to make sure they are tight. Most tech inspections are about a minute in my experience.

Their main concerns are tires, brake pads, leaking forks, chain tension and any other loose parts on the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I doubt you would have any problem. It's looks to be a good repair and I don't think any tech inspection would even notice it.

They do usually grab the clip ons and pegs and give them a good pull to make sure they are tight. Most tech inspections are about a minute in my experience.

Their main concerns are tires, brake pads, leaking forks, chain tension and any other loose parts on the bike.
That is great news! I was worried since technically that tab is part of the frame they would consider it frame damage and structurally or something unsound. It's on there good and doesn't move around, I've been banging on it to change gears for 10+ years without any movement. It is pretty hard to notice especially most people would never noticed unless I point it out so I got that going for it:sneaky:.

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
A large portion of track only bikes are salvage bikes. And many track bikes are crashed and rebuilt.

Not that they are junk or unsafe, but many are not without a scratch or frame dent.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
15 Posts
That thing is a ticking time bomb, replace the main frame immediately.
seriously though, that guy off of Craigslist did a really good job, it's fine. I was a rider/member of MARRC in the early 90's and enjoyed Summit Pt. raceway, its an awesome course, a lot like Grattan in Michigan. Their big concern is fluids on the track surface. Tire wear, brakes, chain tension, peg and clip-on tightness are casually checked too but leaking forks and cases were the focus. Im not sure if they still do this but back then water cooled bikes had to run straight water vs coolant (i didn't care because i was running an air/oil '89 750, gsxr of course). Regardless, I don't think it will do you any good to bring any attention to it, just in case. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts