Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on doing my first track day this summer. I just ordered and got my back protector, the Knox Aegis 6-plate back protector.

First off, I wanted something that had articulation, adjustability, and ventilation. This back protector offers it all, in a very nice package. I have some pictures below, and here's some questions I have:

Does it look okay? Am I mounting it correctly on my back? Are the straps too high? Does it look long enough? Should I return it and exchange it for a longer one (the next longest one is 25mm longer)? I wanted a back protector I could wear on the streets too, and so I didn't want it sticking out from under my jacket, but should I have gone with a longer one?

Pics:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is it comfortable? Does it feel secure? If so then it's fine. I think if it stuck out the bottom of your jacket you'd probably look pretty gay. But you should probably be more concerned with protection...that IS what they are for right? Just my 2 cents. But what do I know...My tracks are the OC freeways. :arsenal

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it comfortable? Does it feel secure? If so then it's fine. I think if it stuck out the bottom of your jacket you'd probably look pretty gay. But you should probably be more concerned with protection...that IS what they are for right? Just my 2 cents. But what do I know...My tracks are the OC freeways. :arsenal
I AM concerned about protection, but I'm also concerned if I'm wearing it properly! I definitely didn't want it hanging out of my street jacket, but I still wanted the most protection possible.

It's very comfortable, more so than it looks like. It's also very secure, and has very good articulation.

I think I'll do a product review for this back protector... :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree... I would like to see the back protector cover more of the tailbone area, but if you need it to fit under your jacket when street riding, what you have might be the right length. On the track, however, the tailbone section is an area that is quite vulnerable during a getoff.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks too small in lenght...

But also at the same time you don't want it too long, because when you have your leathers on, riding, it's going want to push up, when they push up it interfers with your helmet...

But yes the one your wearing is too small.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks too small in lenght...

But also at the same time you don't want it too long, because when you have your leathers on, riding, it's going want to push up, when they push up it interfers with your helmet...

But yes the one your wearing is too small.
You think so? It sits right above my tailbone. I would like it to cover a little lower, but the next size up goes too low. Like I've said, I also want to use it on the streets, and don't want it showing when I'm in my street jacket.

·
Registered
707 Posts
looks short to me. should be just a bit further down from what I can see. But it can be hard to find a back protector that fits exactly like you want it too. Next size up might be too big. You shouldnt give a crap if if hangs below your jacket. Mine does, but it fits right. Fit first, looks second.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:lol:Dude, I think you got the wrong back protector. If you are right about the 6 plate. Looks like that one is for the ladies, at least thats how SPTG advertises it. I know they promote this product pretty hard.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4156
Actually, I called and spoke to one of the guys there, before I ordered it from them. He told me that it's NOT lady specific, but that it states it's for ladies because it's a shorter version.

He said that since I'm not that tall, it would be fine on me. When I get my leathers, I don't want my leathers to be pushing up on the tailbone piece when I'm in the riding position. It seems like I'm right in between the six and seven-plate versions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the same back protector, and mine is lower covering some of my tail bone. I wear 2 piece leathers for the track, and the twisties, and the lower part does stick out a little from the jacket, but I would rather have the kidney and tail bone protection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts