Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so ive done 3 track days on my single compound pilot powers, and its about time to start looking into a new set of tires. I'm thinking about going with a type of d.o.t race tire.

last track day i got bumped into the intermediate class and i dont think the pp's can hold much more, even the cr's said im not going to be able to run much fast times on those tires safely and i very rarely ride on the street now but i would like to be able to do so when i want and not have to worry about tires that only handle at all when are up to temp.

so what do you guys think would be a next step up and i dont think i would like to go withe the pilot power 2ct's ive just heard a lot of negatives about them. thanks

·
Registered
707 Posts
trust me the PP's can handle you. Intermediate level dosnt call for bucking up for a race tire. PP's will warm up after one lap.

My advice is to buy what you can find for a good price. Dont waste your money on expensive rubber. PP 2 CT's are highly regarded. Maybe go that route. Super Corsa III's are also a very good DOT tire for the track. More pricey though. Again, I would buy what you can find for a good price.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
I agree with greenguy. Intermediate level does not warrant the use the of DOT race tires that will also require tire warmers to make them last. Pilot Power and Diablo Corsa III can handle even mid-pack race pace in the novice club level. Trust me, you aren't going to out ride the tires yet. I don't know how many new intermediate level riders I see at trackdays with $400 DOT race tires, with no warmers, and they are slow to the point they aren't getting enough heat in the DOT race tires to get them to stick properly. The top 3-5 intermediate guys probably could start to feel the difference in DOT's and may benefit from them. Today's track/street tires are very capable. World Superbike 600 class races on Diablo Corsa III as their spec tire if that says anything about how good they are. You should watch them guys push it on those tires.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
The next level

How about the michelin power race medium rear for the intermediate level with no tire warmers? I have been rockin the PP 2cts in the intermediate level and haven't had any issues or have over ridden them. I was told I should start looking for a track tire by an instructor/CR.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
How about the michelin power race medium rear for the intermediate level with no tire warmers? I have been rockin the PP 2cts in the intermediate level and haven't had any issues or have over ridden them. I was told I should start looking for a track tire by an instructor/CR.
Michelin Power Race tires are pretty old compared to the new tires out today. I use to use them about 3 seasons ago and never really liked them. They should be used with a warmer to prolong their life as they are still a race tire designed not to heat cycle more than a handful of times. Whether you would need to step up would depend on your pace at the tracks you ride. I'm sure I've never been on the tracks in your area so I'm not going to say you need them.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Im going to sound like a hypocrite here, but I am a mid level rider and I do have PP race, but....I only got them because I found rears for $115. Left over stock from last year and a B.O.D. from i think 3/08. My front is a PP One. I dont have warmers either. I know these prefer them, but it was a planed on purchase. Only to prolong tire life, not to get an amazing first lap. I wasnt blown away by them as a side note. I figure I will get about 3 track days on them. Less than a DOT but I spent $280 for a full set.

Actually when I do the math, I probably am worse off. You figure about 5 days on DOTS at $330. $66/day. 3 days on Race. $93/day.

Son of a bitch

Im saying Corsa III's for the win. You could always sell them on ebay when done too

·
Registered
376 Posts
so ive done 3 track days on my single compound pilot powers, and its about time to start looking into a new set of tires. I'm thinking about going with a type of d.o.t race tire.

last track day i got bumped into the intermediate class and i dont think the pp's can hold much more, even the cr's said im not going to be able to run much fast times on those tires safely and i very rarely ride on the street now but i would like to be able to do so when i want and not have to worry about tires that only handle at all when are up to temp.

so what do you guys think would be a next step up and i dont think i would like to go withe the pilot power 2ct's ive just heard a lot of negatives about them. thanks
I used pilot pp 2ct's for three track days and one novice race lots of tread left but after floging them for 3 track days I noticed they were getting greasy when warmed up,i was disappointed catching a guy and then watch him get on the gas earlier than me every corner and pull away as my tire spun up, I started running race tires, caught that guy again in the second race and worked him pretty soundly and dropped another 2 seconds off my lap times with no set up or practice with race tires. yes pp's or corsa's would work but they are not the best, if you can afford it race tires and warmers are what you want.I am by no means the fastest guy on the track (midpack intermediate lap times) but i feel a huge benefit to race tires,you can try a set of takeoffs first for cheap and see how that works for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been riding Pilot Power medium com with no tire warmers and they stick like crazy. It all depends if your aggressive enough to keep them warm. They were really nice and even to. I was debating going to slicks this year but I will give it one more season as I do not have the $$$$$ to a generator and tire warmers.

·
Registered
272 Posts
keep the PP on there. everyone always thinks they need to jump to race rubber all the time. nowaday hybrid tires are a lot better then people realize. right now all a race tire will do for you is probably not heat up correctly enough, make you feel cool b/c you have tire warmers all the time, and then also make you actually never learn throttle control b/c you never actually out rode to any lvl the street tire you had.

and i'd stay away from any older style michelin pr series or anything. if you want sticky go and lasting go dunlop. and for whom ever was thinking slicks... Why? you gain nothing all you do is lose if there happens to be water. You can't out ride a DOT and DOT's are for all intents and purposes nothing more then a slick with a few minor grooves.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
keep the PP on there. everyone always thinks they need to jump to race rubber all the time. nowaday hybrid tires are a lot better then people realize. right now all a race tire will do for you is probably not heat up correctly enough, make you feel cool b/c you have tire warmers all the time, and then also make you actually never learn throttle control b/c you never actually out rode to any lvl the street tire you had.

and i'd stay away from any older style michelin pr series or anything. if you want sticky go and lasting go dunlop. and for whom ever was thinking slicks... Why? you gain nothing all you do is lose if there happens to be water. You can't out ride a DOT and DOT's are for all intents and purposes nothing more then a slick with a few minor grooves.
Temporary thread jack. Gimpsta, heard you "chalk-lined" the bike in T7 at TWS. Is it a total loss? You were railing on that bike the last time we were out there and you were just messing around. By the way, I think you need elbow pucks now the way you're leaning nowadays :lol: Pretty sick to watch you touch an elbow :bowdown:

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I run Pirelli's - Diablo Supercorsa's and Supercorsa Pro's - ran a set of Diablo slicks and LOVED THEM! But i am racing and using warmers an so on!

For mid-level and below Pirelli Supercorsa III's!!! But the PP or PP2CT's will be good also!! What ever you find a better deal on!

·
Registered
155 Posts
trust me the PP's can handle you. Intermediate level dosnt call for bucking up for a race tire. PP's will warm up after one lap.

My advice is to buy what you can find for a good price. Dont waste your money on expensive rubber. PP 2 CT's are highly regarded. Maybe go that route. Super Corsa III's are also a very good DOT tire for the track. More pricey though. Again, I would buy what you can find for a good price.
+1 :thumbup:
(That is really good straight forward advice. IMO)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea i understand what you guys are saying about the pp and i do agree they are a great tire but i am running at the mid to higher level in the intermediate group with nesba if anyone on here is is the mid-atlantic region ive probly been out there. im just trying to figure out what would be per say one step up. I know that im not going to need a full out race tire but the regular pp get super slimy by the end of the day and i can feel the front and rear sliding a lot.
thanks to all for the input though, i think i need to dial in my suspension and hopefully that should help a a lil

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
This is a You da man question, are we better off spending money on up grading the suspension or better tires? I am guessing a new shock and springs will be about the same as tire warmers and a generator.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If ya ain't racing, you don't need a race tire. They are only meant to be run once, you need warmers to keep them fresh and they only last 2-4 days tops. DC-III's or a comparable track day tire is what you need. I have raced for several years and can't out ride one of those tires at a track day and you will get 2X the life out of them at least.

Z

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.