Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
SuperMod of the North
26,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Leroy what is your take on the subject? Ask Chicken what he thinks too.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Damn. I will type out a rant why Rush is not number 1 tomorrow for now is there anyone else that made it out of Canada?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Is it OK to say I've never heard of the band in the OP?
As we all realize buy now though, I don't know much.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
As much as I appreciate the honorary Canadian citizenship, I am not that close to it. This is my work computer, and am typically running a VPN into our main office in Illinois. I am in Northwest Indiana... I have worked in Toronto many times, and LOVED it every time. Canadians are among the nicest people I have ever met.

As for Rush,I do like the first album, but, I am most definitely more into the Peart written Rush. Caress of Steel, 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Just some really great music in the mid-late 70's.
My best friend was (still is) a Geddy Lee wannabe when we were kids (actually turned out to be a REALLY good bass player). Anyway, he played the crap out of Rush, and killed them for me for many years. I hated them. Took a long time before I could really listen to them again.
Rush is one of THOSE groups. You either love them, or you HATE them. There isn't much in between... Their accomplishments as a band are not easily matched.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
You know, I realize this is not a Rush thread, but we should really have a thread on them.
So many good songs with great lyrics and instrumentals!
Tom Sawyer- I rest my case. Limelight, etc.

I have seen them in Concert once in Houston, it was awesome.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well seems like the Hip are not well known. OK. I suppose the onus is on me to make my case then.

Hang on while I organize my plan of attack.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
SuperMod of the North
26,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Alright, lets introduce the Hip for those who aren't familiar. Formed in Kingston Ontario in 1984 and they have had the same members since. Like Rush thier first couple albums were straight forward gritty rock albums. Here's one off each.

Like Rush they moved to a more artistic direction. The Hip songs were filled with Canadian history and references which was what endeared them to us.

More in a bit.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
SuperMod of the North
26,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
That is a great album all around. Pigeon Camera is one of my favorites too.

Sticking with Rush is understandable. There are a lot of parallels between the two.
Both had the same members with the exception of Neil Peart taking over for John Rutsey as drummer for Rush after the first album.
Both bands lost a member to the same type of brain cancer and never played again with out them.
Both came out of Ontario and called Toronto home
Both were active in humanitarian efforts and social issues.

When the news that Gord Downie, the lead singer of the Hip, had been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer they did one final tour as a thank you and good bye. Every show ripped our hearts out but we watched anyway. The final show in their home town of Kingston is incredible. (Fuck, who is cutting onions in here.) The CBC, Canada's national television station aired it for free with out commercials. They didn't even bleep out anything, just gave them the air fir as long as they needed it. When he died (3 years ago this past Saturday) Canada literally cried. I know I did. I immediately had our hotel flag at half mast and kept it there until after his funeral. They lowered the flag on the peace tower in Ottawa. Everyone knows where they were when they found out.

Sadly when Neil died this past year there was not the same out pouring of grief. We knew we had lost a great musician and Canadian but nothing compared to losing Gord.

Reactions: Leroy Brown

·
SuperMod of the North
26,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I figured you were going Rush too. No Celine is famous but for all her talent is really just a lounge act in Vegas.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I watched the documentary about the Hip and that final goodbye tour. It was heart wrenching to watch. Especially as the first Mrs Oz passed away from brain cancer at 31.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sorry for your loss Oz. I lost my grandfather to brain cancer and it is a cruel disease.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
There are three good ones. Long Time Running is the one you both are referring to I think. There is also the full final show in Kingston which you watch after Long Time Running. They also put out a limited edition DVD box set in 2005 called Hipeponymous. I have an unopened copy that contains two good CDs a full 2004 concert in Toronto and some backstage documentary footage. Can't bear to open it now.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You should open it and enjoy it's contents! I ordered the limited release of Tools latest and paid 50 dollars for it. Opened it the minute it showed up. I don't get the unopened toys mentality. Unless you plan to sell it I guess. But that has never been the case when I ask people about doing that.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
No, I will never sell it. I will likely open it this winter.

One individual I should make sure is represented in a Canadian music thread is Stompin Tom Connors. Old school hard core drinkin music. This is east coast country music from the 60's. He is called stompin Tom because he stomps his left heel to keep time...you can see him standing on a piece of plywood in the second video so the nails on his boots didn't destroy the stage. He would actually stomp through it and start a new one.

This one starts out slow, stick with it it picks up. See if he names your town.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts