Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm heading to Southern California and i'm loading my bike that morning and then stopping in sac for the night (not riding) then i'm heading for So Cal that morning which is like a 7 hour drive to where i'm heading.

My question is, is it bad for the forks to have that much stress on them for so long?? i'm talking about 30 hours..

i guess i could just take them off the trailer for the night.

help a brotha out! ha.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ya, dont strap the bike down with a ton of compression on the suspension. Even if you dont take the bikes out at night, it might not be a bad idea to loosen the straps a little just to take some tension off the suspension.

Some people will swear it causes no harm at all, no matter how tight and how long they are strapped. Then you get other people that say there forks started leaking the next day, or even while still straped down. So maybe it just depends on the condition of your fork seals? I dunno. I figure better save then sorry, atleast let it rest while your not traveling.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You'll be fine! My bike was strapped for a solid 24 hours in the back of my truck when I picked it up! Like others have said, you can let up on the tension at night. Just don't park somewhere super obvious because I'm sure you'd like to come back in the morning and your bike to still be there!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I had mine strapped for like 4 days on the way to Daytona this year. Yeah I know I took my sweet ass time. Then got their early and waited another day. But it's all good! I dont recall the manual having a timeframe it just says how to do it.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
I spend too much money on my street bike's suspension and track bike suspension so I never compress them and use ST Strapless Stand

·
Registered
180 Posts
hey man im glad you asked this question. im getting ready for a big move from san antonio texas to sacramento myself. how are you trailering the bike? a uhaul? im moving all my things so i think im gonna get a 5x8 uhaul (enclosed) and strap the bike down in there with tiedowns along with all my other crap.

damn its gonna be a long ass drive.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i say just to be safe un strap them at night and just set them on the kickstand if possible. also you might want to chain them to the trailer with a strong chain and lock and make sure the trailer is locked onto your vehicle to hinder any theft

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
i say just to be safe un strap them at night and just set them on the kickstand if possible. also you might want to chain them to the trailer with a strong chain and lock and make sure the trailer is locked onto your vehicle to hinder any theft
Or just sleep in the truck with a gun........

·
Registered
555 Posts
now the base of these stands don't need to be mounted in the floor? :headscrat
yes they do theres a little mounting plate you cant see that the top part you see slides and locks into, there very simple as are the pitbull ones as well. these style stands are so much more stable then straps since its going through the structure of the bike.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
now the base of these stands don't need to be mounted in the floor? :headscrat
Yep, that's the only unfortunate part of owning/using one of these stands...you have to commit to whatever you are mounting it to.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you compress the suspension too for too long (24 hrs), than you will run the risk of blowing the fork seals. I have made that mistake. Just don't compress the forks much and release the presssure on them when you stop for the night.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you compress the suspension too for too long (24 hrs), than you will run the risk of blowing the fork seals. I have made that mistake. Just don't compress the forks much and release the presssure on them when you stop for the night.
Okay good to know, my trip will take approx three days so that alot of travelling time the bike will have to be strapped down

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I think you ran into bad luck or an isolated incident. I know dozens of people who strapp the bike down for days at a time with no ill effects. I dont make it a habit, but I do see a potential for a problem of repeated/extended times.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think you ran into bad luck or an isolated incident. I know dozens of people who strapp the bike down for days at a time with no ill effects. I dont make it a habit, but I do see a potential for a problem of repeated/extended times.
I think a LOT of it depends on how much compression is put on the suspension when its strapped down. If you run your straps straight down and then crank them down hard you will have a ton of compression on the forks. If you run your straps at more of an angel then you can still get them pretty tight but with less compression on the suspension. I think it really all comes down to how FAR the forks are compressed, and for how long.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
yeah well i guess if i get trailer that is set in stone then i'll figure that out
I have two ST Stands in my enclosed trailer. It create alot more space without have straps criss-crossing everywherre and the bikes are literally 2 inches apart. That in itself created more room for both my pit bikes in the trailer instead of one in the trailer and the other in the bed of the truck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.