Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Here it goes. lol From what I have read Suzuki used the spark timing to control the retardation in gears one through three. Everybody says that the tre's wont work on the carbed srads because it is not fuel injected. Here is my question! If the timing is retarded due to the timing of the spark then why wont the tre work on the carbed srad. The resistance is added to the electrical system which is what contols the spark so why wont it work. I hope that this makes sense to somebody other than me. Thanks for your time

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The carbed bikes weren't purposely retarded in the first few gears, so there would be no need to advance them back to normal. There are other ways of advancing timing on a carbed bike though.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It wont work. You're talking computing here not electric resistance. You are going to speed tons of money to do something we did 10-20 years ago for peanuts. An advancer for your srad is about 50 bucks, and does the job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay that all makes sense and I knew about the ignition advance plate but then what does the item at the link below do for you.

http://direct.nikkoracing.com/boutique_us/fiche_produit.cfm?ref=GP-S637&type=1&code_lg=lg_us&num=1

somebody Please shed some light on this for me please lol

this is what the website says about it

G-Pack Suzuki

Nikko Racing developed the G-Pack module to optimise the performance of engines to the maximum. Particularly during the phases of acceleration from low to mid range.
G-Pack was especially developed to bypass the RPM-limitator installed by the manufacturers in order to conform with local regulations imposed in a number of countries.
The result of this research : maximum torque and power with exceptional acceleration in the low and mid range permitting full exploitation of your engine power band resulting in greater riding pleasures.
G-Pack is composed of an electronic box with dimensions of 45X45X16 mm. It is installed in a few minutes in between the connectors and the ignition box (CDI) of the motorcycle. On account of the compatible pins, it is connected to the original electric circuit without any changes or modifications.
G-Pack can be disconnected in a moment and your motorcycle restored to its original configuration.
Warning : G-Pack changes engine's characteristics and performance

·
Registered
469 Posts
RPM limiter is not the same as ignition timing. You are starting down a road that will lead you to a crash, lol. You seem to want to put performance mods without understanding what they "do." Changing your timing AND increasing the rev limit may lead to valve float and or explosive destruction!

I'm not trying to insult you, not at all. Most everyone, even squids, want mods. Most newbies do the "normal" "popular" mods. Don't do things that you don't understand. You're on the right track asking advise here. You should also stop by a local shop and talk with some mechs.

There are some great people here. Most know more than I, so feel free to ask away.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
You know, it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense pouring a ton of money in to performance modifications in an older bike with older technology. From a strictly economic standpoint, by the time you've put a Nikko G pack, or other CDI timing advancers, jetting, suspension mods and the like for small incremental gains, and the cost of short engine life, you might as well have sold your bike and bought a newer EFI bike which STOCK performs better in every respect than the SRAD you've modified.

My vote would be to keep your SRAD as a commuter and fun riding bike, and get a used, newer model gsxr as your performance toy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay thanks for the advise and I am new to motorcycles and I dont know a whole lot about the internal machine. I thank you guys for your time and patience you have been very helpful

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.