Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 01 gsxr600 and the FI light comes on sporadically. I found out that the bike has it's own trouble code tool on the bike, when you jump the connections on the available adaptor. When I did this, the code C00 came up. From the information that I have found, the code merely means no defect has occured. I was hoping someone might have some suggestions as to what may or may not need to be done to fix the problem. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
crank bike up and do the dealer mode and it should trigger a error also look to see where the line is to the left of it and it should be in the middle of the C- it should look like that

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
if your seeing -C00 then nothing is wrong, you have to do it when the FI light is on or your not going to get a code, next time your riding around and the light comes on, pull over, don't turn off bike and jump the connector to get the code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I managed to run the dealer mode when the FI light was on and brought up the code -C28. I haven't been able to find a repair manual on the bike, locally, yet, and was wondering if anybody knew what this code represents. I would appreciate any help to be offered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
code

I found out that the code represents the secondary throttle valve actuator. If anybody might by chance know what could be causing this problem, I would again appreciate any help that can be offered.

·
Registered
543 Posts
secondary throttle valve, sounds like a sensor went bad, only thing i can come up with...i'm sure ski or moto will be able to tell u exactly they should be on soon.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
thalgott.2 said:
I found out that the code represents the secondary throttle valve actuator. If anybody might by chance know what could be causing this problem, I would again appreciate any help that can be offered.
make sure your gettin a full 12 volts to your actuator, and if you r not then check relays or fuses and if those are good...then check wiring....if all those are good then its probally your actuator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my partner recently took his 04 1000 back to the dealer for the same prob he has about 2k miles on it and yes it was a FI sensor. Could be the same thing on yours.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
It is more than likely the secondary throttle valve actuator sensor or a connection at it. Does it do it during the frist engine diagnostic phase. A bad sensor usually will do it when you hear the fuel pump priming. Check all your connections going to the throttle bodies to make sure they are dry and clean. Like was said checkthe voltage to them.

and most of all

GET A MANUAL

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
'05 750 problems

Ok, well, I need the service manual, but since i have dial up, and it will take 2 days to download, maybe someone can help...

Where is the 2nd throttle valve actuator (C28 fault code) located on the bike?
I am a competent electrician, so I will troubleshoot it before I buy one, but shit, don't know where it is or what it looks like...I am assuming it's on top of the motor, prob near the airbox

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
i was having the same problem.... all i needed to do was adjust the secondary throttle position sensor. you will need an ohm meter, an allen wrench to open up your gas tank, a torx bit for the TPS, and a screwdriver for the airbox lid. its a simple fix. remove your airbox lid and filter, unplug the sensor for your STV and by hand close the secondary butterflies (make sure the bike is off) your ohm meter should be placed across the yellow and black wires coming from the sensor. with the butterflies closed you should read 800 ohms and with the butterflies fully open you should read 3900 (or 3.9K) ohms. if you dont know how to use an ohm meter find a buddy that does. digital ones are the easiest to operate and read. if you arent within those ranges you will need to loosten ( do not fully remove) the screw holding the TPS and just rotate the TPS until you get it dialed in on the ohm meter. then tighten the screw back down. put your bike back together and give it a test run.

good luck

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
the secondary throttle sensor is on the right side of your bike attached to the throttle bodies. its a small black round sensor that has 1 torx screw holding it in place. there will be two of them when you look under your tank on the #4 throttle body. the one on top is for the secondary butterflies and the one on bottom is for yout primary ones. the primary is adjusted the same way as the secondary but with your bike ignition on but not running. in dealer mode you will see -C00 (or -C28 if you havent fixed your secondary TPS) on the gauges. the little line in front of the C will move when you move the primary TPS sensor. when the throttle is closed you want the - in the center of the C.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Ok, so basically when I loosen the butterflies, I just ensure that the closed position reads the one # and the open the other...makes sense...so basically the code is telling you that the valves are out of position? Ok, well, I used to do helicopter avionic electrical work, so I am pretty sure i can figure the gixxer out...dude, thanks a lot for the info, my buddy is going to be super happy if he doesn't end up having to fork over a ton of cash for a part for an almost brand-new bike...

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
its funny you say you have done avionics work in heilos... thats what i do now. actually right now i teach marines and sailors how to fix avionics systems. im a SSGT in the USMC

you dont need to loosten the butterflies. just the sensor on the side. remember to not take it all the way off because it will be a pain to get re-aligned. by being out of alignment its thinking the valves are more open than what they really are and will cause a mid/high end sputter in your RPM range.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Yeah, Hon. Discharged Sgt US Army...good shit man...working on the helos is pimp work, especially instructing. I did a stint of instructor work at the army radioman school at fort gordon, was frusterating at times, but mostly a coosh job. At least with computers and radios, you usually get at least one air conditioner so you 'don't fry the circuits'... :thumbup:

anyway, I jotted down what you said, gonna try to fix that tomorrow evening after class. Thanks again dude

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hey, e-mailed you...thanks bro

1 - 20 of 21 Posts