Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I want to install a quad lock stem mount, but I'm not sure how to take this middle silver piece out of the stem since I bought it like this. Still a noob and learning.

·
Super Moderator
10,290 Posts
Welcome.

That silver piece in the very center is not OEM. Someone has some type of adapter stuck in there.

The spindle is clear all the way through so you should be able to get a long screw driver or similar in from the bottom and push it out.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome.

That silver piece in the very center is not OEM. Someone has some type of adapter stuck in there.

The spindle is clear all the way through so you should be able to get a long screw driver or similar in from the bottom and push it out.
Hello and thanks.

I'm a bit confused there's something I can push at the bottom and the adapter will come out?

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
2,783 Posts
What he's saying is you should be able to use some sort of a tool from the bottom and push it up from the bottom. Most likely need to remove the wheel and fender to do so. If you're not worried about destroying it, I'd try and drill it. With some luck, the bit will grab and spin it out. What bike is this? Maybe we can see what OEM looks like.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,441 Posts
I am seeing small tabs inside. My first inclination would be to put a flat screwdriver in there and try to unscrew it. I suspect it may have an expanding rubber washer that is meant to grip the inside of the tube. The square end of a socket extension may work as well. Outside of that tapping it from the bottom with a suitable piece of pipe or screwdriver would be the next choice.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
It almost looks like a 5 point star thingy?

Like they said, it's not OEM and if you can loosen it, get a flexibile rod and push it out from the bottom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What he's saying is you should be able to use some sort of a tool from the bottom and push it up from the bottom. Most likely need to remove the wheel and fender to do so. If you're not worried about destroying it, I'd try and drill it. With some luck, the bit will grab and spin it out. What bike is this? Maybe we can see what OEM looks like.
Ohhh I'll try that.
It's 2006 gsxr 600

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm thinking that a long (6-8") 1/2" bolt may drive it out from underneath. This assumes that it's not threaded so you can't pull it out. My K6 1000 has a 13.5 mm hole and I'm assuming that his is the same.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,441 Posts
I'm thinking that a long (6-8") 1/2" bolt may drive it out from underneath. This assumes that it's not threaded so you can't pull it out. My K6 1000 has a 13.5 mm hole and I'm assuming that his is the same.
You are likely correct. On my 2010 a piece of 1/2” copper plumbing pipe was a perfect friction fit for a camera mount I fabbed up.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
2,783 Posts
So new theory. It almost looks like it could be some sort of spring loaded retainer. It could just have a bolt from the bottom to hold it in. OP, got a pick from the bottom up?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts