Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it scary to take big turns on a bike? i dont really have a whole lot of riding experience but it seems like itd be kinda scary to take big turns and stuff like that. sorry im a real newbie when it comes to most of this stuff.
thanks

·
Registered
869 Posts
It is scary the first few times that you dive into turn. Then you figure out the capabilities of your bike. Just remember this....."Don't outride yourself!" The bike will keep up with you not the other way around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man that whole bike keepin up with me thing made alot of sense. ive never really ridden a sports bike (dirt bikes a couple times) but im real anxious to by my first sports bike. it just seems like a lot of fun. thanks for the help man.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
just like ^^^ he said at first it is. the more and more you do it the farther you start goin in and faster you start takin it, then you get use to it and it becomes second nature, its nothin to lean into a turn hittin triple digits. since your gettin a bike dude you should really do track day after you get your bike it will help you out alot.

·
Registered
245 Posts
For the first, I would say week, I was scared as hell to power through turns, but as I progressed I have gotten more comfortable. We did a twistie ride recently, and i was scrapin shit in the turns. After practicing in parking lots and such, my favorite thing about riding is turning. You will get used to it, and remember, your bike is capable of anything, its you that needs to practice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The best advice I can give is to find a track based riding school where you can get as much practice as you can in a much safer environment than the roads. A good credo to remember is slow in fast out. It is much easier to speed up through a corner than it is to scrub off too much speed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Crotch Rocket GIXXER said:
ive never really ridden a sports bike (dirt bikes a couple times) but im real anxious to by my first sports bike. it just seems like a lot of fun. thanks for the help man.
I have to ask one question, why do you think a sports bike will be fun? Is it because you can go fast, or wheelie, burnout etc? Any bike can be fun but some can be lot easier and forgiving to start on. I rode a lot when I was younger, but I had a long break so I bought a tamer bike first. I would recommend checking out some other bikes as well as a GSXR. the SV is good as well as the GSF Bandit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can start out on a powerful sportbike as long as you have some common sense and don't try to ride it like Miladin right out of the box :infrandom

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
lathery said:
You can start out on a powerful sportbike as long as you have some common sense and don't try to ride it like Miladin right out of the box :infrandom

You should never say that. You as well as I know that one little tempt will bring that thing to full throttle!!! :D

·
Registered
317 Posts
The sv 650 makes a great starter bike. Very light weight and easy to control power, there is still plenty of power though. I know of a really good looking sv for a pretty good price (hint..hint). It looks almost just like a gsxr. caugh...its posted in the for sale section...caugh. They are great bikes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I did the same thing as JamJar.....I rode allot when I was younger and had a long break (bad wreck) So I went out and bought a tame bike before I went back to the gix. Don't be ashamed to start out on something smaller, I mean what's more important to you, your ego on a small bike or your death on a big one. Take small steps at first, you'll like yourself better in the end and you'll be a better rider for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Riding corners is like haveing sex the more you do it the better you get lol those that cant ride fast on the corners just ride them in time youll see youll get faster and better at the feel of your bike what ever it is. my best help for you is when you think your fast and can ride better than all your friends slow down you going to fast for the street take it to the track if you want to ride like that lol just some advise ride safe

·
Registered
108 Posts
i remember when i went to the safety school they teach you slow, press, look, roll...

slow (slow down before entering the corner)
press (press down on the grip in the direction you want to turn)
look (look thru the corner not just directly in front of you)
roll (roll on the throttle or accelerate leaving the turn)..

but practice is the best teacher..

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's good shit shaw!!! I forgot all about that. How long ago did you go to that course, they must have had that saying for a long damned time.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
lathery said:
You will never learn as much as if you start on a smaller bike and learn to actually ride on that small bike. You will learn how to ride, not learn how to twist a throttle.

·
Registered
317 Posts
All of the above reasons are why you should buy an SV (preferably mine), Good smooth power, easy to ride, plus once you get used to it you can smoke just about any 600, sometimes bigger bikes depending on the rider, through the twisties and the mountians. :thumbup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
yeah buy the sv.. that would be a great starter bike..

gixxerk1 i went to safety school about 2 years ago... just remember that saying from time to time but i try to practice it every time i take a corner..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts