Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While upshifting at high speeds without pulling in the clutch...sometimes the bike misses the gear and pops into neutral and I can't get it back in gear until I slow down. Its mostly from
3rd going to 4th gear. Its a major problem on the track.

03 Gixxer 600

·
Registered
130 Posts
While upshifting at high speeds without pulling in the clutch...sometimes the bike misses the gear and pops into neutral and I can't get it back in gear until I slow down. Its mostly from
3rd going to 4th gear. Its a major problem on the track.

03 Gixxer 600
how r u doing the clutchless up shifts?

try pulling up on the shifter (just a little pressure)
then quickly and smoothly let off then throttle a little
as u do so pull up at the same time then roll back to WOT
if done right should shift smoothly, if it doesnt ur doing something wrong and should use the clutch before u have some trans problems!

i only use the clutch to get into first after that i never touch the clutch and thats for street, strip, and track!

·
Registered
130 Posts
that shits so hard on your clutch bro, hope you like buying clutches.
i have been riding for 6 years on 6 diffrent bikes and never had to replace a clutch i just got 09 gsxr 1k and i do the samething dont use the clutch much :lol: that rymed! if u do it right it doesnt hurt it, but if u mess up a lot ur goin to replace alot more than the clutch!

·
Registered
862 Posts
there's a small range of rpms/throttle you can shift w/out the clutch with it not fucking your clutch up terribly, it still is bad for it, just not as bad.

There is no such thing as clutchless upshifts that are perfectly safe, or "fine" on your clutch.. not without something like quickshifter from dyno

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Not completely true. My 02 600 has over 40,000 miles with anywhere from 30-35 trackdays on it and one race season. I don't use the clutch unless its from a complete stop. I just replaced the clutch for the first time last month. It's pretty much how you do your upshifts/downshifts. However, without knowing how to shift I believe you can chew some things up. My race bikes have been two R6's and a GSXR750. None have had quickshifters and never use the clutch anywhere except the paddock with no problems...even at the rpms we run on the track.

·
Registered
130 Posts
:laughings i finally have some people on my side!
it suxs that some people are just missed informed or just think they know it all! and the funny thing is they think they are right! if u dont do the up shift right, the last of ur problems are the clutch ur main problem is the trans.! i had around 35k on my 00 gsxr 750 never had to replace the clutch or trans. and i shift all the time with out using the clutch!:arsenal

·
Registered
128 Posts
:laughings i finally have some people on my side!
it suxs that some people are just missed informed or just think they know it all! and the funny thing is they think they are right! if u dont do the up shift right, the last of ur problems are the clutch ur main problem is the trans.! i had around 35k on my 00 gsxr 750 never had to replace the clutch or trans. and i shift all the time with out using the clutch!:arsenal
so...for the guys that KNOW...what is the right way to do it??? i see a lot of posts saying you have to "do it right" , but nobody has took the time to explain how to do it...that would be much more helpful...i would like to know what is the RIGHT WAY...:hmmm::hmmm:

·
Registered
98 Posts
For example in a 600

so...for the guys that KNOW...what is the right way to do it??? i see a lot of posts saying you have to "do it right" , but nobody has took the time to explain how to do it...that would be much more helpful...i would like to know what is the RIGHT WAY...:hmmm::hmmm:

go to 3k RPM and desacelerate, at the same time you shift, then acelerate again, do the same with 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gear, then downshift in the same order 3k downshift to 5th etc, as an exercise do not touch the clutch at 3k at least the 600 is very smoth, in fact you barely notice the gear change.

·
Registered
130 Posts
read the fourth post in the thread i explained it a little if u need more explianation let me know!

·
Registered
91 Posts
When you want to shift, stay on the throttle and add a little pressure with your foot on the shifter. Then, just "un-blip" the throttle or roll off and back on. The bike should shift normally and when you do it right, it can be smoother than shifting with the clutch.
You can also do it downshifting but its much harder to get the timing down. Motorcycle transmissions work differently than car transmissions. There's no ill-affects to shift without disengaging the clutch on a bike. Its just a little easier to screw up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you wanna know why this works this way look up constant mesh clutches. Pretty much when they aren't under throttle the plates are not meshed so you can shift freely, give it a little throttle though and those plates mesh up and put the power right to the ground. Kinda crazy how it works.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
It’s actually easier on the clutch because you are using it less. I NEVER use the clutch unless I am leaving a light or just taking off ect…. I do down shifts too you just need to make sure your matching rpm’s. I don’t use the clutch on any of my cars, trucks ect… and have well over a hundred thou on my truck and never replaced a clutch in any of my vehicles. To answer the op question… try putting a lil pressure on ur shifter before you let off the throttle just a tad and she should slide right in….

·
Registered
128 Posts
glad i asked that question...u guys can b a-holes to the a-holes out there, but when real questions come up u can b KINGS AND QUEENS, when it comes to giving needed answers...that's why so many riders r @ this site....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
jesus dangles you don't use your clutch on any of your vehicles?

your someone i'll never buy a used vehicle from ; )

u think u know everthing, u think ur a know it all, and u just happen to be very uneducated on this matter and really dont know what ur talking about. u already got ur point across we know that ur saying its going to kill ur clutch. well if u dont clutchless shift right ur not going to blow the clutch, ur going to f*** up ur transmission and only if u mess up everytime u try doing it! the person's question was how to do it right, not what could happen! if u dont know much about the topic stop putting ur 2 cents worth in 20 times in a thread once maybe twice is fine, but we are here trying to help each other and inform each other, we are not here to misinform people. so please if u dont know what ur talkin about stop putting in ur theories, if i dont know about a topic guess what i dont post anything thats how it should be!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.