Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am in the process of (unfortunately) selling my 02 GSXR.

The thing will not bloody start! Haha, it was running fine up until today... and the bike has never, ever given me any problems. It has about 12k miles on it.

Here's the skinny:

-started the bike (it'd been sitting for about a week)
-it ran for about 30-45 seconds (I was letting it warm up)
-it stalled
-it will not start

When I cranked it, it was had brief spasms where it sounded as though it was going to catch and run... and if I gave it throttle this would speed up. But it never did run.

I thought when I first started it (the time it did run, albeit briefly) that the fuel pump sound was a bit odd compared to the norm.

Anyhow, the symptoms point to the fuel pump (I think).

So, if you guys can give me any advice, it'd be greatly appreciated. Is there a way to test it? a DIY for the change? Looks uber easy... though I'm not sure the best route to drain the gas.

Also, if you figure it IS the fuel pump... what can I buy used? 01-03 600's only? Do the 750's work? 1000's? Just want to find something affordable... as I'm selling this sucker for too cheap already to finance a house down payment (isn't that always the way!?).

Thanks in advance!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would also check the battery, even though you said it started so there should have been enough charge from the stator. I'm not sure how to check the fuel pump though sorry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's definitely not the battery. It turned over like crazy for like 10-15 seconds. I didn't want to go longer for fear of cooking the starter.
I gave it a few tries though with breaks in between... and also had one of those portable battery packs with the jumper cables to it, as well. I could have cranked it for like 5 minutes. :)

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
122 Posts
im not sure if the fuel pump is like a car but, you can smack them a little with a rubber hammer and it should start after that, or take it out and hook direct powerr to it and see what happens

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you thinking of a starter? I know the hammer trick works on starters... I've never heard of that with a fuel pump. Maybe, though?

I can try disconnecting it and running it with power and see how it flows. Is there any info pertaining to what it SHOULD flow?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hitting it can help any motor, depending on your definition of help. If hitting it fixes it i could be clogged, or the brushes inside the motor are corroded/ worn. I'd disconnect the fuel line. and turn the key on. see if any fuel flows. make sure you put it somewhere like a bottle or something. clean clear bottle is best. then you can check your fuel to see if their is water or junk in it. if no gas i'd try to check power at the pump with a volt meter, should see 12 volts or so on one side and a good ground on the other when disconnected. .5ohms or less. i've heard people have problems with the a rollover sensor or something. its a quick check. also did the bike sit inside or get wet in the rain.
hope this helps to start.
Seth

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hitting it can help any motor, depending on your definition of help. If hitting it fixes it i could be clogged, or the brushes inside the motor are corroded/ worn. I'd disconnect the fuel line. and turn the key on. see if any fuel flows. make sure you put it somewhere like a bottle or something. clean clear bottle is best. then you can check your fuel to see if their is water or junk in it. if no gas i'd try to check power at the pump with a volt meter, should see 12 volts or so on one side and a good ground on the other when disconnected. .5ohms or less. i've heard people have problems with the a rollover sensor or something. its a quick check. also did the bike sit inside or get wet in the rain.
hope this helps to start.
Seth
Thanks for this reply! I will try disconnecting the line and turning it over... I kind of hope it is the fuel pump, so I can be done with it and fix it!

The bike DID sit in the rain for a couple days (I know, shame on me). It was stored in a dry place, but I'd had it out for a couple weeks and it was not in the garage and did get rained on. Would this actually hurt anything?

How does one check the "rollover sensor?"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:

Okay, so because I've not had a whole lot of response... I figured I'd take a closer look at my fuel pump.

Today I went outside, lifted the tank, undid the fuel line, put a jam jar under there (there was even still some jam in the bottom. Pomegranate, I think), and cranked it over. Some milky looking fuel drizzled out of the pump. Delicious.

Anyhow, suspecting that milky/opaque fuel is bad news bears, I delved further...

Out came the gas tank, and out came the pump.

I've disassembled the fuel pump... and my dear sweet Jesus, the mesh filter was fecking hideously covered in rust/sediment. The bottom part of the fuel pump (the gold part) were the mesh filter was recessed is also caked in rusty sediment. Mmm!

Anyhow, this is all very bloody gross... to know that this was in the bike. Unfortunately, it's Sunday... I've got no means of replacing the fuel filter today (%$*@!!!!!).

QUESTION:

After I replace the filter and reinstall the fuel pump... is there a way to clean out the rest of the system? I imagine my injectors are dirty, too. Are they easy to get at?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update again:

Bike runs.
The fuel filter is atrociously expensive... the mesh filter is stupidly expensive as well... so I cleaned off the mesh filter with compressed air, cleaned everything I could see that had rust/sediment... put the pump back together. Added fresh fuel. I removed the old spark plugs and cranked the engine over for a few seconds. Checked to make sure I had spark. I left the plugs out over night to dry out the moisture in the cylinders (may have been flooded, who knows), installed new plugs just now.

Just added fuel system cleaner to the tank... cleaner treats up to 70 litres, I added the whole bottle to about 16 litres. Should be concentrated goodness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.