Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went from the 17/42 tooth ratio on my 05 750 to 16/44 (-1/+2) and put the RK Gold racing chain on and I have to say that I am completely satisfied. So much more acceleration and pop to the throttle. I can do power wheelies in second gear, and a power wheelie in first just stands it straight up! I need to get a speedo healer though, my speedometer says 88 when I'm going 70. I estimate my top speed to be around 150-155 now but I can't tell for sure. Well worth the sacrifice. I highly recommend the conversion to all!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is 17/42 a stock set up for the 05 750 (I have same bike)? I really don't know what mine is without counting it, which I don't really feel like doing.....

What was the cost of the change over, and did you do it yourself? My speedo is already off at least 5-6 mph, so a speedohealer is a must anyway...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah man 17/42 is your stock setup. The Vortex sprockets weren't too bad. 25 for the front and like 60 for the back. The chain was like 150 but for bikes like ours its a good idea to change the chain with the sprockets so they don't wear each other out because they're not as new. I actually had a local cycle shop put em on, I could probably have done it but I don't have the tools or the time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm curious, how much did that shop charge you to change out your old sprocket and chain for the new ones. I know you already spent about $235 on the new parts. Secondly did you take a look at sprocket/chain kits? I think that would have saved you a few bucks as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm curious, how much did that shop charge you to change out your old sprocket and chain for the new ones. I know you already spent about $235 on the new parts. Secondly did you take a look at sprocket/chain kits? I think that would have saved you a few bucks as well.
I had mine changed last week and it was only $175.00 but that was including changing both tires and balancing.

They also cleaned the bike up nice for me before I picked it up. Big props to the guys at Motions in Marietta.

This is the kit I always use..

:thumbup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It cost me about 60 bucks for labor at Smitty's Cycles in Mineral Wells. I get a good discount at Family Powersports in Weatherford so I went ahead and got the better sprockets seperate. Total parts cost: 200 bucks. So around 250-260 bucks for the whole conversion.

G

·
I had mine changed last week and it was only $175.00 but that was including changing both tires and balancing.

They also cleaned the bike up nice for me before I picked it up. Big props to the guys at Motions in Marietta.

This is the kit I always use..

+100000 I LOVE IT THAT THING IS GREAT ON MY BIKE:thumbup:

·
Registered
914 Posts
when i went with a +2 on the rear of mine i went with a sunstar. are they good sprockets? cause i was thinking about going down one on the front now.

·
Registered
441 Posts
idk man...I did the same conversion on my 06 750 and my top end was 165....maybe climb a little bit more. That was speedohealed and gps verified.

I just went from the 17/42 tooth ratio on my 05 750 to 16/44 (-1/+2) and put the RK Gold racing chain on and I have to say that I am completely satisfied. So much more acceleration and pop to the throttle. I can do power wheelies in second gear, and a power wheelie in first just stands it straight up! I need to get a speedo healer though, my speedometer says 88 when I'm going 70. I estimate my top speed to be around 150-155 now but I can't tell for sure. Well worth the sacrifice. I highly recommend the conversion to all!

·
MPG mod
7,420 Posts
are you guys sure about the 17/42? i just checked my owners manual, service manual and motomummy.com they all said 17/43. i have an 05 750 as well. just checking.

·
Registered
58 Posts
FWIW..

I had the same kit on my bike that I replaced it with (pic of kit in previous post ^) and ended up getting nearly 9800 very hard miles that included 6 track days and 3 sets of tires before the chain started getting tight spots. The sprockets were worn but not so bad I would have worried, no broken, bent teeth or anything.

I was OCD about keeping it clean and adjusted so that may have helped out more than anything.

I would never change just the sprockets or just the chain,I change all at once so they break in and wear the same.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
are you guys sure about the 17/42? i just checked my owners manual, service manual and motomummy.com they all said 17/43. i have an 05 750 as well. just checking.
I just checked my stock rear sprocket it is a 43, I went +2 in the rear on my 05 750 and love it. I went with Driven for the chain and sprockets. I went with steel and a 525 chain. I want it too last for 30/k miles!:thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.