Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my second full summer with my L1 GSXR 600. The manual says to change coolant every two years. I doubt the previous owner changed coolant before trading the bike in. At least what's in the reservoir is nice and sediment free.
Since I can't find any recent posts, any input in which brand to get? I know to get one with ethylene glycol, no phosphate's?, And I'll get a pre-mixed version so no tap water is in the system. Thanks for the help. I've also read Engine Ice is over-priced for what you get.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll probably never hit the track. Guess I should have said silicate-free and for aluminum. Wondering if Prestone, Zerex or Peak are any better than the other. The coolant in the overflow bottle is blue. I don't know if that's stock Suzuki coolant or Engine Ice. I think my Suzuki dealer is the only one around that carries Engine Ice and since a 1/2 gallon bottle of won't fill the system I'll have to get two, which will probably cost around $45. If it's not that much better than the other brands I mentioned that cost a fraction of that... BUT I also want my bike to last!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd just go with engine ice
Way better then more stock coolants

The water wetter was for Track suggestions

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'd stay with long life. The prestone orange ones. Doesn't disintegrate as fast.

Make sure you used distilled water. Less than a buck in my grocery store.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Any aluminum safe that will withstand the cold climate. Water wetter actually helps any coolant system. Engine Ice is over-rated.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Different antifreezes have different chemistries that can lead to serious corrosion issues when intermixed. It's advisable to settle on one specific product and never use anything else. A full flush is recommended if you don't know what you're replacing, i.e. you want to remove every bit of the old unknown stuff. I drain the coolant, use a garden hose to flush the heel out, drain that as best I can, refill with distilled water, run for several minutes, drain that, and fill with the desired coolant. Either use prediluted or dilute the concentrated stuff with distilled water (about $1/gal at grocery stores). Keep extra coolant on hand for when you need to top up. Blue might be Pentofrost NF, a quality coolant, but I really don't know. There are several extended life coolants with a five year life. I use Zerox G-05. It has the disadvantage that it isn't as widely available as some others and its pale yellow color makes it hard to read the reservoir level. But I have some dye that turns it the common yellow/green.

Water is the best coolant from a thermal properties point of view. But it requires some anticorrosion and seal lubrication additives and you absolutely must stay away from freezing temperatures, including transportation and storage. I've read of bikes being hauled home from the track in freezing weather and started up, only to have the water pump drive shaft break because the coolant had frozen. Ethylene glycol is the second best and easily the most commonly used. But there are toxicity issues (poisoner's like it because it apparently has a sweet taste). Propylene glycol isn't as good thermally but it isn't toxic and will normally work fine.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My local stores carry the Zerex G05 in concentrate and pre-diluted formulas. Once the weather warms up I may drain what I gave, flush the system and try the G05.

·
Registered
301 Posts
^Two years ago I needed several gallons of G-05 concentrate and O'Rilley's only had the pre-diluted stuff. I ended up buying it from Zorro online. It was quite a bit cheaper there with free shipping if you bought four. Obviously that's way too much for a motorcycle. But check around for bargains.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm against water wetter if you're riding street. Coolant prevents rust in your system & lubricates your water pump.

I'd just chose a coolant with all the properties described in your manual & mix a 60% water & 40% coolant. This is what I do. Read the label on your coolant. More water carries more heat from your engine, but boils at a lower boiling point.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
When it's time to change mine next year I'll just stick with the Suzuki Ecstar, unless there's good reason not to. Their r9000 oil seems to be working fine.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Checked the product info and WaterWetter makes sense. Thanks for the tip, before I looked at it I thought it was just a different kind of coolant.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts