Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
I user the G05 in my BMW (car), it is recommended substitute for the BMW coolant. MUCH cheaper than the BMW coolant as well. Good stuff formulated for aluminum components.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You add water wetter to your coolant. Just an ounce or so will help your coolant work better.
Yes I'm sure. Do they decompose easily?

The guy I bought my bike from had water wetter in it & there was white residue everywhere. It wasn't hard water scale.

People who want to try it can but for street bike, I wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I've had my current bike for over 2 years. Still has what was in it. I kinda doubt that it had ever been changed.
y LIter bike I sold last spring had some Yellow stuff in it. This one looks to be red/purple?
Still looks good, a kind of deep red IIRC? Always runs cool, even in traffic in the summer. I'm leaving it for now anyways.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Yes I'm sure. Do they decompose easily?

The guy I bought my bike from had water wetter in it & there was white residue everywhere. It wasn't hard water scale.

People who want to try it can but for street bike, I wouldn't.
It helps to know what products do and to follow the mfgr's instructions when using them. Did the guy who put it in your bike do that?

Reminds me of the nickle-base anti-seize in the other thread. Most new spark-plugs already come with an anti-seize coating on them, and anti-seize is only needed if they are removed and reinstalled. Anti-seize also reduces the torque needed to install them, which some have found out the hard way by stripping the threads out of their cylinder-heads by going to full-torque spec.

In this thread, some of the highlights of WaterWetter's benefits have been shared. It is up to the user to look into it and use it properly, or not.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It helps to know what products do and to follow the mfgr's instructions when using them. Did the guy who put it in your bike do that?

Reminds me of the nickle-base anti-seize in the other thread. Most new spark-plugs already come with an anti-seize coating on them, and anti-seize is only needed if they are removed and reinstalled. Anti-seize also reduces the torque needed to install them, which some have found out the hard way by stripping the threads out of their cylinder-heads by going to full-torque spec.

In this thread, some of the highlights of WaterWetter's benefits have been shared. It is up to the user to look into it and use it properly, or not.
He said he used water wetter & just water. He used the bike for track.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Are you folks talking about me using water Wetter with distilled water in my bike (I live in PA so cold temps are an issue) or using Supercool with WaterWetter in it? I'll probably just stick with trying Zerex G05 though so cold temps aren't a problem.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
When I checked the Auto-Zone website and rest the info from Zerex G05, under chemicals in the mixture it listed Nitrates: Yes, Phosphate: No, "Silicate's: Yes". I thought we were supposed to get silicate free coolant.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Using whatever coolant/antifreeze you wish, but adding Water Wetter to it.

My bike is track only, so I run distilled water with Water Wetter. My other sportbike had the OEM coolant plus Water Wetter. My F-150 has the OEM coolant plus Water Wetter. I had used Engine Ice in the past, and the bike didn't run any cooler. If I were going to run antifreeze in my bike right now, I'd go to Wal-Mart and get a gallon of the cheapest pre-mixed they have, and add some Water Wetter. My service manual just says aluminum safe.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
@New2Street no to just the distilled water with a little WaterWetter. It will freeze.

The manual for my 2018 750 reads (and yours may be different but idk):

"The cooling system is filled with a 50-50 mix of distilled water and ethylene glycol anti-freeze. This mixture will provide the optimum corrosion protection and excellent heat protection, and will protect the cooling system from freezing at temperatures above -31.0 C (-24 F). If the vehicle is to be exposed to temperatures below -31 C (-24 F) this mixing ratio should be increased up to 55% or 60% according to the figure."

Figure
50% = -31 C (-24 F)
55% = -40 C (-40 F)
60% = -55 C (-55 C)

WaterWetter just improves the mix (not intended to mean it decreases the freezing point, if interested just read the specs to see how it does). I haven't used it yet but I trust the experience of those that have (used it properly).

·
Registered
292 Posts
I thought that, at $22.95 per half gallon, Red Line SuperCool Performance Coolant With WaterWetter was an ethylene glycol or propylene glycol based coolant mixed with water and WaterWetter. Then I found this by Red Line that states "Contains no ethylene glycol". A little more digging found this, which on page 3 states that it boils at 212 °F and freezes at 32 °F. That's just water with some additives and dyed pink. What a scam. It would be expensive at $5/gallon. It's incorrect to refer to it as an antifreeze.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Interesting that the SDS says antifreeze/coolant while the label just says coolant. I don't think it's an antifreeze either, or a substitute for ethylene glycol but I doubt it's a scam. Probably not necessary on a well maintained street bike, just seems to be some kind of coolant aid with extra additives. Coolant aid...makes me think of the phrase "Don't drink the kool-aid" lol. I have another year to figure it out before mine is due for a change, although I usually tend to do preventative maintenance before it is due rather than when it is due or after (rear tire pic in Random Picture Thread excluded).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't understand why this is such a hard topic.

If you wanna change it go with good old engine ice
Or put what suzuki puts in from the factory.

If you plan to track it, ever put water wetter either 50/50 or the mix solution.

If you live up north where you do have cold weather and worry about it frezzing. Engine ice or oem coolant will work fine.

If you use water wetter you will just have to make sure you cover the bike with a blanket or run a plug in the wall heater.

This isn't rocket science.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
Being from the Great White North I personally don't worry much about getting cutting edge performance out of the heat transfer properties of my coolant. I just want to make sure that when it gets Canada out my block doesn't freeze. That being said...I now have an oil cooled bike and don't worry much about it any more. Old School kids...it really is better...

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I don't understand why this is such a hard topic.

If you wanna change it go with good old engine ice
Or put what suzuki puts in from the factory.

If you plan to track it, ever put water wetter either 50/50 or the mix solution.

If you live up north where you do have cold weather and worry about it frezzing. Engine ice or oem coolant will work fine.

If you use water wetter you will just have to make sure you cover the bike with a blanket or run a plug in the wall heater.

This isn't rocket science.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
It isn't a hard topic but it is rocket-science (crotch-rocket science I mean) and Suzuki has put a lot of science into the development of these bikes. For me the only question is whether it would really be a benefit to add an ounce of WW to the Suzuki brand I use. Also for me, being in Texas where harsh freezing temps are much less of an issue than the high Summer heat, I think it could be a benefit if it really improves cooling. And I know Chuckster knows what he is talking about, so looking into it deeper is something that has merit.

·
Registered
292 Posts
"I thought we were supposed to get silicate free coolant. "
See this. G-05 has silicates in the 250 PPM level, which sounds rather low. I'm unaware of any recommendation by Suzuki to avoid silicates.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I appreciate all the input, that's why I asked. Everyone has there reasons for using or avoiding things, that's why I kept asking the questions. I'll get a 50/50 mix. Usually I don't pay extra for "water", but this time and for a high performance machine at least I'll know it has the right type of water. If I can find water Wetter I may get some and try it. Thanks for all the help!! Ride safe everyone!

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
To be honest I buy the pre-mix for my vehicles just so I have the correct intended mixture. I am good at math but I am usually getting paid when I do it. When I am paying someone else can do the math.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Anyone know why looks clean, and kinda dark purple? Who's product is that?
I do have and did use one of those floating ball hydrometers- to check your anti freeze mixture this winter- was good to -25F. Which my garage rarely gets down to even +30ish- rarely.
Always runs cool too, like the Fonz!

Have you evef seen the Bronze Fonz in Milwaukee?

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Do a Google search for "purple antifreeze coolant". There are several. IMO, if you don't know exactly what it is, you probably ought to flush and replace.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts