Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a short ride the other day to work. and didn't have my helmet on just shades and when i got to work and parked i let the bike continue to run and noticed at idle there was a weird buzzing noise coming from the stator cover. but if i give it some gas above 2k it goes away. i have removed the stator cover and checked things out and all looks good. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
Welcome.

Some Ricks stators a few years back were causing a whistling noise but I've not heard of anything causing a buzzing sound.

You might make sure that the stator is installed straight and torqued properly (with loctite). It might be something slightly out of alignment and rubbing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I
Welcome.

Some Ricks stators a few years back were causing a whistling noise but I've not heard of anything causing a buzzing sound.

You might make sure that the stator is installed straight and torqued properly (with loctite). It might be something slightly out of alignment and rubbing?
Was planning on taking it apart again tomorrow and checking the stator bolts hoping it's as easy as that. Just scared to ride it.

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
Was planning on taking it apart again tomorrow and checking the stator bolts hoping it's as easy as that. Just scared to ride it.
I should have mentioned to check the small bracket and screw that hold the wires to the case. That has been known to come loose also.

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
No. #3 and #5. The clamp keeps the wire away from the spinning rotor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to check that. Funny question because I might be dumb but is that outside the case or in the case lol?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got it all off and right off the bat I noticed my stator bolts were loose. 2/3 were. The hearing that is housed in the casing with the stator should it have washers on both sides of that hearing I noticed it doesnt and wondered if that was moving around as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
Well I got it all off and right off the bat I noticed my stator bolts were loose. 2/3 were. The hearing that is housed in the casing with the stator should it have washers on both sides of that hearing I noticed it doesnt and wondered if that was moving around as well.
"hearing"?? What "hearing"?

Good find on the stator bolts and good that you noticed the noise and stopped riding it. It would have gotten much worse.

And no, the bracket/clip are inside the cover next to the stator.

·
Registered
582 Posts
There recently was a similar thread on another forum where the stator mounting bolts backed out to the point that the heads were rubbing on the rotor. The rubbing created metallic grit that was all over the stator/rotor and probably working its way to the pan (irk!). The only thing that I can think of is that they weren't properly tightened when the stator was installed. Loctite is your friend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts