Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, hopefully someone can give me some help.. lately I have been hearing a strange noise like if something is rubbing somewhere on the front end of my bike. when i take off in first its normal but when it gets into a high rpm i start to hear a rubbing noise of some kind.. I checked the front tire to see if it might be hittin something but its totally clear of everything. The noise comes and goes when in higher rpms. Can anyone help please and give me an idea of what this might be or am I just paranoid and its normal. :bowdown: :hmmm:

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
only thing that is rolling at higher speeds is your chain engine and wheels
hard to speculate..... have you tried to rev your bike while sitting still to see if it does it then. :headscrat more information

·
Registered
274 Posts
i once had a similar problem after i overtightened the chain. can you put the the on a stand (both wheels up)? see if the rubbing noise happens when you spin the wheel. :headscrat :headscrat :headscrat

·
Registered
309 Posts
next time you ride, at around 50mph, keep it on second gear and gun it. when the front wheel comes up, grab the front brake to keep the front wheel from spinning. Then try to listen for the sound if it is still there and if it is coming from the rear. Just kidding.. Hehehe. I would check the chain

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i havent done anything to the chain except keeping it waxed.. when in neutral and i rev the engine the noise comes up between 5000-7500 rpms.. it doesnt sound like its coming near the chain and sounds like its coming from the front wheel area.. i could be wrong so i'll get the chain checked out but thats just a lil more info.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i thnk

i had a 2002 r1 and i was having the same problem but my problem turned out to be an exhaust leak on the header at the bends. would check your headers(exhaust system for leaks).

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
sr24 said:
well i havent done anything to the chain except keeping it waxed.. when in neutral and i rev the engine the noise comes up between 5000-7500 rpms.. it doesnt sound like its coming near the chain and sounds like its coming from the front wheel area.. i could be wrong so i'll get the chain checked out but thats just a lil more info.
it wouldnt be the chain then, vcause your not moving. It is probably internal like a bearing or even your timing chain is flopping around at highger rpm's. that would be my guess. But it is internal for sure. Have you overevevd it alot here lately or accidenattly kicked it in a lower gear going to fast or something.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when making stops i have kicked it into a lower gear but not to where it red lined or anything.. I really dont rev my engine much. The noise isnt real loud or anything but i can hear it when riding.. It could be internal.. I guess I'll take it to a shop and have them check it out.. Its just that around here they will take u for a lot of money if u dont know what ur talking about so i wanted to get an idea of what it might be.. The bike runs good and all its just the DAMN noise and it gets me paranoid.Hopefuuly its just me and nothing too bad.. I only have like 3500 miles on the bike and its a 2004 GSXR750.. it cant be that bad of a deal since theres not much miles on it but then again I just dont know.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I forgot the part where you said it's a new bike with 3k miles. Take it to a dealer, it should still be under warranty, if it hasn't been crashed then fixed. Yeah it can't be the chain coz you can hear the noise even on neutral. Tell the dealer to give you a new bike, preferably the anniversary edition.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wish i could do that but i my dumbass already dropped it like the first wk.. now i know what ya'll are thinking but the noise just recently came up and didnt start when i dropped it.. i dropped it going like 25 mph with 100 miles on it and the noise came about like at 2800 miles.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Regardless if you dropped your bike, the dealer should still honor the warranty unless it is directly related. After you dropped your bike, the insuranced paid for it? If the dealer doesn't honor it due to accidents, you can take it back with your insurance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
when i dropped it it only scraped the fairing a little so it wasnt much damage for me to take it to the insurance company.. its still has the scrapes on it. So your saying it should still be under warranty.. if thats the case then hell yeah its going back to the dealership!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.