Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here in northwest Ohio we have had beautiful weather for the last few weeks. and I took advantage of it several times to go riding. Then it turned to crap at the beginning of this weeka nd the forecast said ran for days. So today, after work, I am out, and once again the weather man is wrong, its sunny, bright, high 60's so im thinkimg, this is gonna be the last day to ride, so I better get to it before the sun goes down and it gets cold. I start off to go visit this hottie I work with, and right off the bat it feels good to get back in the saddle. I am cruising down the road heading towards the freeway, a road I have taken hundreds of times. and get on the on ramp, going a little too fast, I go to slow down approaching the turn onto the freeway and push the rear brake too hard. a Big No-no. My rear tire locks up and starts to slide, to keep from slipping over, I let off the rear brake, ande bring the bike upright. well of course this means im not turning anymore. im new to this whole crashing thing so im kinda panicky, not totally freaking out, just overreact a little. i push the rear brake again and it locks up again ( I think, cause I overreacted and just hit it too hard) Well in the midst of fighting to keep the bike upright and not die (all I could think about) im trying to stear the handlebars to keep them pointed straight, I forget to squeeze the front brake harder, Im still just squeezing a little like im going to slow for the turn thus I head straight for the retaining wall. luckily I regained my senses just before it, and pushed the brakes and turned hard so my bike skids kinda sideways and I kick my left foot up and out and kick the wall as I come into it to try and keep me and the bike off of it. not a perfect 10.0 landing, My left turn signal is the only thing that hit the concrete, snappewd it right off, but I was able to keep the fairings off the wall when I kicked it. But I feel stupid, cause If i had kept my head better I would have been fine, but ohh well. I wanted to buy new flushmounts for it anyways, now I have to. :laughingr

Feel free to gimme some feedback on this.

- Jared -

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
damn, i bet you were freakin, as saw that wall getting closer and closer, thinkin damn me and my bike are about to splat against the wall. then you saved it from happening, then afyerwards go home and change your pants.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Glad your ok man, the important question is.....Did you learn anything that will help ya later, if your gonna hurt the bike, at least it should be worth somethin :thumbup:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first thing I learned was, to pay attention better, and I think it'll help me keep a clear head in the future.

But for the record, at no real point was I worried about me, I just dont have the money to fix the bike if I beef it.

The second thing I learned is, Women are nothing but trouble, trying to wreck my bike and everything

- Jared -

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Jared said:
But for the record, at no real point was I worried about me, I just dont have the money to fix the bike if I beef it.

- Jared -
Thats the only thing that ever keeps me from doing some of the stupid shit i could do or have done in the past. My ass is gonna heal, the bike aint gonna heal itself up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And for the record, yes she was impressed, she loved the bike, thought it was hot, even got a good laugh and still seemed interested when I told her I almost killed myself riding down just to see her. Brownie points are a good thing.

- Jared -

·
Registered
69 Posts
hey nice save :thumbup: Ive been told when you need to get the bike straightened up to roll on the throttle. not while ur slidin im pretty sure but after ur first slide i think it woulda helped. Sumone leem know if im wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is what I did this weekend. This girl I work with and I were going up a mountain road to Cripple Creek, Colorado and the speed limit is like 35. (Real twistie road and shit) Well none the less we were doing about 80 or 85 the whole way and there was a couple turns where I started heading towards the center line, and rolled on the throttle started turning tighter and made it through. So yes rolling on the throttle will help as long as you are not already going way tooo fast.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Let me get this straight. You went into a curve too fast and hit the back break, which locked up. Then you let off and try to make the curve. Then lock it up again but make the curve. First in that postition you were very lucky. The one thing I learnd about exit ramps is that they can be tricky. Two or three of them here have those metal strips that will make you back end wiggle hard if you are at speed. I hit one and the back end went crazy. My friend behind me said it was worse than I thought. I just stayed in it and leaned harder. I would rather lowside than hit something or high side. I can't tell you what you did wrong but you could probably have leaned a little more and made the curve without breaking as hard. I know I have run wide in curves and thought I wasn't going to make it but it just showed me how far I could actually lean. Be safe.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i probably could have leaned harder and made it, but at the time i wasn't thinking rationally. I have leaned pretty hard before when im expecting it / trying to, but i hadnt even started to ride yet, was only like 90 seconds from my house. I was still warming up. and i mentiuoned i kinda panicked. so, if i woulda kept my head (which i will next time) i woulda been fine i think.

- Jared -

·
Registered
320 Posts
Jared said:
i probably could have leaned harder and made it, but at the time i wasn't thinking rationally. I have leaned pretty hard before when im expecting it / trying to, but i hadnt even started to ride yet, was only like 90 seconds from my house. I was still warming up. and i mentiuoned i kinda panicked. so, if i woulda kept my head (which i will next time) i woulda been fine i think.

- Jared -
I wasn't saying anything bad or negative. I was just letting you know what has happened to me. I have started to do the same thing but always remembered that throttle is usually better than brake. I would think what happened was your suspension unloaded making the back end light and that's why the rear locked up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Jared said:
And for the record, yes she was impressed, she loved the bike, thought it was hot, even got a good laugh and still seemed interested when I told her I almost killed myself riding down just to see her. Brownie points are a good thing.

- Jared -

Way to go man!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
249 Posts
ZGixxeR said:
I would think what happened was your suspension unloaded making the back end light and that's why the rear locked up.
i've done that and it sucks, come to think of it, I really don't remember how i got out of it,but i did remember not to jam on the rear brake anymore

·
Registered
80 Posts
rev411 said:
i've done that and it sucks, come to think of it, I really don't remember how i got out of it,but i did remember not to jam on the rear brake anymore

Yeah that can be dangerous!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
nice job jared!
i almost lowsided the other day going thru a canyon at about 65 thru a turn.....downshifted to come out and the back end chattered and gave me some nice wheel hop....eased off and straightened her out before i ate shit....scary aint it? :infrandom

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I've locked up the wheel on turns before, scariest feeling on a bike, but last week I went to my local dealer who used to race a ton a few years ago and asked him what the best way for taking fast corners is. Here's what he told me.

First, before you start to slow down or anything scoot your but way over into the turn, don't lean the bike, just move your body way over to get ready.

Next you want to start slowing down with the brakes, in high RPM situations you don't want to downshift until you get the braking in because you risk over-reving the engine. You want to be completely done with your slowing down before you enter the turn, otherwise you're still on the brakes while cornering, trail braking, which can be very bad because it uses up your available traction the would otherwise be used for the turn.
Until you get real expirienced at it you don't want to be trail braking.

That's the big part, after you slow down you start your stearing input, counterstearing of course, and begin accelerating through the corner, you should be on the gas most of the way through.

I've found that in just the past week, week in a half I've improved my on ramp/off ramp skills dramatically by remembering this. I have yet to drag a knee but I'm able to take corners a lot faster than before, while feeling a lot more comfortable while doing so.

I plan on taking a roadracing course at Loudon in the spring, has anybody here done this? I don't plan on racing, just want to improve my technique.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts