Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i really don't know much about modding for bikes but i would like to know what are some simple mods for improving performance. exhaust, air filter, jetting? what is jetting? i don't understand can someone educate me? :headscrat

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
You do not need jetting. You have fuel injection. You could do a pipe if in your budget. A full exhaust would be the best but they are expensive. A slip on would be the best. A filter would help out a little too. You really dont need to re-map for those simple things. Some people will tell you that if you change the pipe and filter you have to re-map with a power commander. I find that to be un nessasary bullshit. Expensive too. The main gain you will achieve from a pipe is sound. A filter combined with a pipe will give you noticable gains. I would reccomend a yosh pipe and a bmc filter.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
It is more free flowing for sure. But the gains are barely noticiable. You think it is faster because of the sound.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think 10 hp is noticable and for pipes wise if I were you, I would not waste my money on a full race yosh system thats like 1000-1500$? If I were you I would get a full system hindel. Its like what 600 for full titanium. you could blow your money and get a slip on but hell whats the point 2-5 hp if that might ass well keep your stock exaust keep you in alot less trouble. Ive been at Daytona for the last 5 years when CCS is racing the week before the big AMA weekend and at those races there is a horse power limit and I would have to say every bike that had a Hindel had the advantage by at least 3 hp. and you can get a full race hindel exaust and a power commander IIIusb and get it tuned perfect and any type of weather and any type of gas for about the midgrade pipe from yoshi. :headscrat

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
If I were you I would get a full system hindel.

This is what I would get. I have been talking about those everytime I see a pipe post on full exhaust (they are one of the best systems that are not talked about) Most dragracers use these as well

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hindle makes good power at a low cost.

The ones the drag racers are using are Brock Racing Hindle pipes. you have to get them from brock racing though.

You do not "need" a power comander to adjsut your Air Fuel ratio with a slip on, but it will help alot to have one. It may not make alot more power, but it will deffinately smooth out the power delivery and make the bike more rideable.

A K&N air filter or a BMC does not do much for modern Fuel Injected bikes in the way of power, and in fact alot of privateer race teams use stock filters. They are nice to have though as they are resuable and I feel remove fine particles better since they ar3e wet filters.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Yeah I know about BD but any hindle will do as good as most or better than others. I am with a micron Highmount right not and about to get rid of it to go BD. Yes your right though about BD though

I always wondered how a stock exhaust header with a slip on would have the bike flow more exhaust if it is still restricted by the header being smaller?

I think i know the answer but want to see if anyone else know

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Those high mounts cost you power. The extra curve and length make you lose. The hindle is just too loud and they look like shit.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
audi1031 said:
I always wondered how a stock exhaust header with a slip on would have the bike flow more exhaust if it is still restricted by the header being smaller?

I think i know the answer but want to see if anyone else know
Stock exhaust uses baffle deflect plates, slip on is straight through with only fiberglass packing for muffling.

Those high mounts cost you power. The extra curve and length make you lose. The hindle is just too loud and they look like shit.
A high mount does not cost you much at all, Trust me, I have seen side by side tests, and have not been able to tell a significant difference. On the race track with PERFECT FI tuning, yes maybe a bit, but for street riding you will NEVER know, and MOST tuners cant tune perfectly, so there will be negligable differnces there too.

And I like the way they look......... I have one.
And they are a bit loud, but NOTHING compared to D&D, and sound WAY SWEET

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
You can do what I did with hindle too. I got a SRAD header pipe on my 03 600. the header order is different and gives more midrange. It will cause MINOR clearance issues with the chin fairing behind the front wheel, but header wrap takes care of that.

·
Banned
105 Posts
wickmaster said:
You do not need jetting. You have fuel injection. You could do a pipe if in your budget. A full exhaust would be the best but they are expensive. A slip on would be the best. A filter would help out a little too. You really dont need to re-map for those simple things. Some people will tell you that if you change the pipe and filter you have to re-map with a power commander. I find that to be un nessasary bullshit. Expensive too. The main gain you will achieve from a pipe is sound. A filter combined with a pipe will give you noticable gains. I would reccomend a yosh pipe and a bmc filter.
I know I am coming in a little late on this thread, but this comment bothers me. I have been working with engines for quite some time and know for a fact that all the new engines that come from the factory are way too lean. So if you proceed to open the flow up even more by adding a full exhaust system and more flowing air filter you will lean your engine out even more. Hence you will really not see any substantual power gains. But if you get the FI properly mapped by adding something like a Power Commander or carbs properly jetted so that you get the Air/Fuel ratio more inline with what and engine requires, you will see a definate increase in power. It is also highly recommend to get your system remapped/rejetted if you do open the flow through the engine.

Now if you all you add is a slip on or bolt on muffler, you will still lean out your engine even more, but it should not enough that you would hurt your engine. But you most likely will not get the full benifit of the upgrade until your bike is either re-jeted or remapped. Another thing that helps when all you add is a slip on or bolt on is the exup valves in the exhaust system like Suzuki's and Yamaha's. This keeps up back pressure, so that the slip on or bolt on is really used under full throttle conditions.

One last thing, a slip on/bolt on with proper mapping/jetting is good for about 4 to 6hp and a full system, air filter with proper mapping/jetting is good for an up to 15% hp increase. Average is about 8 to 10% increase in HP.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.