Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
S.I.J
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since im starting to take this bike thing really seriously , I am going to buy me a NEW helmet. What are some good name brands to go with. Shoei, HJC,KBC,Arai...what others are there. Rate them for me please. Im looking to spend about 250-275 for one. i figure if its going to keep my brain intact im not going to go too cheap. Any suggestions?

Is there a site that has comparisons..ie..Weight, Cost, Noise, Fit, Quality?

Shoei = too much $$
Arai = too much $$

What are the ones to stay away from....Knock offs, Wal-mart brands... :hmmm:

·
Registered
311 Posts
:thumbup: sent ya a P.M. :thumbup: everyone will have different opinions on what they like and dislike. i'm not saying that the more it costs the better it is but in lids sometimes that's the case. shop around and you'll find a deal. let me know if you're interested! good-luck eitherway!!!!!

·
Registered
938 Posts
I guess you want to make sure your helmet you chose is DOT and snell approved. Other than that, it's just creature comforts..or at least that is what I have been told. Myself, I don't put a price on my head. I will spend the extra dollars when it comes to my melon. Shoei rf1000 is just about what you want to spend. It is an awesome helmet with good airflow, and comfortable as hell. Some of my friends buy the cheap helmets, and hate them due to no air circulation, frak'n hot and stuffy. The rf1000 was also designed with the aid of an air tunnel, for aero dynamics. There is very little lift due to a top and bottom spoiler, really helps out with the neck strain. Also is a pretty lite hemet, and quiet. My two cents if any.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I'd go with a shoei myself. I've wrecked on 3 of them and they all held up really nicely. And it is true with helmets, "You get what you pay for."

·
Registered
293 Posts
shoei

i was able to buy my shoei rf 1k voltage for around 200 through ebay, got lucky on this one though, brand new w/ tinted shield, AWESOME helmet highly recommend shoei, search ebay, or online for dealers that are having sales, i know a place where you can purchase new suomy helmets : extreme spec 1r 465 shipped, spec 1r 360 shipped, let me know if you're interested

·
Registered
320 Posts
Check ebay, arai and shoei are the best but there are other good brands. KBC and AGV have done a lot of improvements to their helmets in the past couple of years thanks to the sponsorships of Mladin and Rossi. Suomy have come a long way also.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I have a KBC, I like it and have had a couple of wrecks with it and it held up. The only thing I dont like is at highway speeds like 90 or so there is a little bit of lift on the helmet. It feels like it would fly off if it wasnt strapped down. But to fix that all you gotta do is make yourself a little more aerodynamic. Arai and Shoei are also good brands. Go to your dealer and try on all of them and see which one is more comfortable and go with that.

·
S.I.J
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Done Deal

Got a deal in the works for a Practically Brand New AGV Demon Top, :thumbup: Black /Silver Checkered.

Awsome deal. In the making

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
skibum91 said:
I'd go with a shoei myself. I've wrecked on 3 of them and they all held up really nicely. And it is true with helmets, "You get what you pay for."

You do get what you pay for. Shoei is a great helmet. They just dont fit my head right. I went with an Arai. Awesome helmet. Pricey but comfy. Cool also, great air circulation.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
wickmaster said:
They just dont fit my head right.
And that is the main thing you need to look for, thats why there are so many brands/models of helmets, they are made to fit different shaped heads, you have to see which one fits you best.

·
Registered
938 Posts
skibum91 said:
And that is the main thing you need to look for, thats why there are so many brands/models of helmets, they are made to fit different shaped heads, you have to see which one fits you best.
Arai is one of the only brands that I know of that makes two different shape helmets. One is for round headed people, and the other is and oval shape..for the egg headed people. Gotta find one that fits you right.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
skibum91 said:

Yeah. Us fat kids get the short end of the stick all the time. We pay more for everything. HAHAHA My first gear leather jacket had an oversized surcharge on it. They did not have enough leather to make it. HAHAHA

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a Shoei I paid about 450 for mine but when it comes to your head dont go cheap its better to overspend than underspend in this situation. Plus Shoei makes matching helmets for the gixxer paint scheme too thats really nice. Some peopl buy helmets that are close but if your spendin the money why not get the best when it comes to safety and it maatches the bike too. I have never had any problems with it no fogging or sweating little to no raod nosie even at high speed. you cant lose with shoei :cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, Arai is top notch. I am surprised noone mentioned Suomy yet. They haven't been in the US forever, but they were in europe for a long time. They are also top notch. HJC and AGV make decent midrange helmets. I have an Arai quantum and love it. My next lid might be a Suomy.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
hal said:
Arai is one of the only brands that I know of that makes two different shape helmets. One is for round headed people, and the other is and oval shape..for the egg headed people. Gotta find one that fits you right.
ARai actually makes 3 shapes.... quantum, Astral and Signet.

You get what you pay for in helmets, and Arai and Shoei dont make a "cheap" helmet at all.

Agv and kbc make a decent helmet, but it is there highend helmet, and the reast are junk.

People will try to tell you "well this $100 helmet is snell and DOT approved ... JUST like the expensive arais and shit" but that is BULLSHIT. The cheap ones BARELY meet Snell aprovment, where Arai Shoie and Suomy all EXCEED the standards by far.

The Snell approval is actually not telling you much at all as it is ONLY a test based on a vertical impact tto the top of the head........I dont know about you but I have yet to see a helmet that was ONLY hit on top of the head in a crash. The Snell aproval does NOT aprove the chinbar, which in cheaper helmets will rip off and smash your face.

BUY A GOOD HELMET :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
My choices:

In my opinion if you are looking for the best $ for value, KBC and HJC win hands down! I picked up last years KBC VR-1 for $150 with a smoke shield. It's a very versatile helmet wtih replaceable cheeck pads that can be had in diff sizes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.