Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
In rained all last night and today- warm though- 64F!

I had the day off. Gave me a chance to 'tinker'. (That's what we called it when we worked/adjusted things on our catamarans sailboats)

I decided to adjust/tighten my MCCT today. No, it wasn't making any noise- I was tinkering.

Then, reading up on the TPS position, and 'dealer mode' ; I decided to put my bike in 'Dealer Mode' for the first time since I've had it.
No it had no FI light.
No, it wasn't running funny- runs like a raped monkey!

So, I read a few posts and the consensus was to adjust/check the TPS position WHILE the bike is running and warmed up. OK, no problem- did that.

When it was not running and on- the - line was not in the middle.
Started the bike went to the middle when I revved it to 4K, the jumped upper or lower (don't remember), then also in the middle.

Got out my star driver, and adjusted it some. When I put it in the middle when not running, it jumps off of it when I start it and stays there, not in the middle.

So I adjusted it when it's in the middle when idling, stays then when revved.

Turned it off and key on several times, not in middle. Started it, in the middle and stays there.

You can see my trip meter, when I turn a 29 mile trip TO work, into a 62 mile twisty trip home!

* Just how important is this TPS line thingy? It runs fine, dyno's well, etc
I saw/heard no difference when it's not in the middle and when it is.
School me

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
OK, So I checked the Service manual, after I did this.

Section 4-20
Clearly states to set the idle, as in while engine is running/idling, then look at the line while in dealer mode.

I did, I think it's good.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You have a lift lifting your bike while it’s on a lift...lol awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahaha! yeah you’re right. I’ve always liked safety when I’m working on my machines. Makes it so nice to clean the wheels or pull em off or whatever you want to do.

·
Registered
750 Posts
No... 3 years on a tire is max life for the rubber. They start to get too dry and hard after that. The rubber compounds can no longer grip the road like they were designed to. I am only assuming that 28,000 was WAY over that 3 year mark. There are some riders (not many) that put that many miles on a bike in a couple years. Any tire over 3 years old is dangerous. I bet that bike feels like it's glued to the ground with new tires on it, huh?

·
Registered
215 Posts
No... 3 years on a tire is max life for the rubber. They start to get too dry and hard after that. The rubber compounds can no longer grip the road like they were designed to. I am only assuming that 28,000 was WAY over that 3 year mark. There are some riders (not many) that put that many miles on a bike in a couple years. Any tire over 3 years old is dangerous. I bet that bike feels like it's glued to the ground with new tires on it, huh?
You know what they say about assuming . just over 2 years. Also it’s 5 years on rubber. And that’s if it’s stored outside which my bike never is.
Yeah man nothing like riding on new tires for sure.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yeah 2 yeas is fine. Most people don’t put that many miles behind them on their bike. I don’t trust tires past 3 years. Car tires are a different story.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah 2 yeas is fine. Most people don’t put that many miles behind them on their bike. I don’t trust tires past 3 years. Car tires are a different story.
Bike has almost 160,000. And really it comes down to tire management. You see that in top level racing. Some go the distance, where others tear up a tire very quickly. Know your right hand and it’s all good.
I even got stuck in the rain a few times and bike was good. It’s all in how you ride it.
Rossi could ride it on cords and be fine😬😬👊👊

·
Registered
403 Posts
I once rode my front tire thousands of miles from home, bald like a baby's arse & had no problems. On the right of me was sheer cliffs & random downpours in the mountains. Not once did I feel slippage.

Ride within your limits & you'd be fine. If it's a testosterone fest then that's a different story.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I’m getting ready to give my bike a much needed bath. The front headlamp and all is covered in carcass ! Not to mention a few days ago I changed the oil and plugs a few other things it’s filthy! I am also researching a good tactic too wire a phone charger. I do have a ram mount but I could use a Onboard charger

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
My Ram mount 'knock off' comes with it's own USB port, with a nice wire with ringed fittings for the battery. It has a little switch to turn it off too. I never turn it off any more- never drains the battery when sitting.
I found it on Ebay- as good or better than the Ram mount- with the USB port attached- for like 1/2$.

I suggest NOT using water hoses to clean. Some liauid solvents, maybe soapy water,- mostly though rubbing all parts down with a rag that will take up the dirt and grime.
Then spray and wipe it with furniture polish like 'Endust'. I use the generic Walmart brake. It leaves a nice coat of oily film the shines great, and helps repel bugs, dirt, etc.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Dave Moss said (via YT vids) that I was the second kid on the trampoline, so I did a little static sag adjustment on my rear shock. She was wound tighter than a you-know-what and I had zero static sag (very apparent on bumps) so I gave the lock rings two rotations up to loosen her up a little. Not in spec yet I'm sure but is better and now I get some of the movement Dave gets when checking them. I'll give it some ride time then look at it again later, and get a buddy over to do some measurements for a more thorough suspension setup. I'm fairly certain that if the factory sent the bike out set like that, then the front is probably also in need of some adjustment for my weight (+/- 160 dressed).

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Got it into launch position.
Lubed the chain with my Dupont Chain wax stuff.
Checked the chain play- check
Checked the tire pressures- check
Went on an awesome spirited country twisty ride.

The 2 recurring themes:
  • There are a lot of bugs in the countryside on a warm day- as in stopping at a gas station just to use the brush/squeegee on my visor- several times in a 110 mi ride. (How do all those helmetless/visor less people put up with that?)
  • Recent Tar snakes (road crack repairs), are like ice slippery!
Marvel at how well my K5 bike performs!

·
Registered
403 Posts

The 2 recurring themes:
  • There are a lot of bugs in the countryside on a warm day- as in stopping at a gas station just to use the brush/squeegee on my visor- several times in a 110 mi ride. (How do all those helmetless/visor less people put up with that?)
Their face becomes the windshield.
I marvel at how the put up with rocks & chips on the freeway. They feel like bullets when they hit my neck.

·
Registered
549 Posts

The 2 recurring themes:
I ride often with no helmet, big Full framed sunglasses that sit close to your face To block wind and A big beard some how blocks most of the debri, I will occasionally get sand blasted still from a big truck or gust of wind but if that winds up being the worst part of my day I’d say I had a good day.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My Ram mount 'knock off' comes with it's own USB port, with a nice wire with ringed fittings for the battery. It has a little switch to turn it off too. I never turn it off any more- never drains the battery when sitting.
I found it on Ebay- as good or better than the Ram mount- with the USB port attached- for like 1/2$.
Not going to share a link?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am still researching on a good tactic too add a phone charger Since I already have a ram mount. They do make several kits Online you can order 25$ ish They still seem ridiculous big , I’m thinking about buying a plug for a cig lighter For your car, take it apart remove the metal contacts and solder the wires that were going to the metal contacts to my new power wire and possibly mounting that under my cluster . I am still debating on I could drill a larger hole and mount it in a way so the female usb plug would face out either straight up or on the side of the cluster housing, or Keep the usb plug under the cluster And just drill a tiny hole just big enuff for the Charge Cord To pop threw , witch my only problem with that phone cords never seem to last very long, so replacing it is a little more involved than plug and play.

201 - 220 of 226 Posts