Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend of mine brought me his bike. Its a 94 GSXR750. He tried rebuilding the original carbs and failed. Then he bought a set of used carbs and those didn't work either. He was told from the party that sold him it that they would work. I pulled the set off the bike and noticed right away that the outlets are smaller.
The set that came off were 36mm and the original set is 38mm.
I'm going to help him rebuild the original set since the smaller ones don't even fit right in the intake boots.
Were trying to figure out what these carbs fit so we can re-sell them.
They are Mikuni's. There's a number on the throttle plate of 120. The originals say 130.
On the side of every carb there are the numbers 16E0 and below that K281

·
SuperMod of the North
26,146 Posts
Can you post a pick of them? what didn't work with the 36mm?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Those are likely from a Katana 600

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Out of curiosity, where are they located, and what are you looking to get for them?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you post a pick of them? what didn't work with the 36mm?
They wouldn't run right on the machine from what by friend says. I never heard it run. When he brought it the battery was dead so I just pulled the carbs and started going through both sets.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,146 Posts
Yup. Those are Mikuni BST series carbs. The remote idle adjustment you have there is a god send. I think Spyder is right, they were on the Katana. Mikuni supplied parts for lots of manufacturers, google them and see what you get.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Clean, and replace all of the rubber bits in the OE carbs. Be sure to set your float height correctly. As long as the OE's aren't "stuck", she will run again. Any questions along the way feel free to ask. I have a '95 750, and Tinsnips has an '89 1100. Your in good hands here.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
SuperMod of the North
26,146 Posts
If the 36mm were installed in the 38mm intake boots they might have been pretty sloppy and that may have been a big part of the issue. Intake leaks will screw everything up. When you do get them mounted fire it up and spray/fog a little WD40 or similar around the intake boots. If the engine surges when you spray you have a leak.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup. Those are Mikuni BST series carbs. The remote idle adjustment you have there is a god send. I think Spyder is right, they were on the Katana. Mikuni supplied parts for lots of manufacturers, google them and see what you get.
I looked at katana carbs on ebay and none look like the ones I have. There's large air inlet holes on the intakes of the carbs. These have 2 small ones at the bottom and a large sliver from the diaphram.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the 36mm were installed in the 38mm intake boots they might have been pretty sloppy and that may have been a big part of the issue. Intake leaks will screw everything up. When you do get them mounted fire it up and spray/fog a little WD40 or similar around the intake boots. If the engine surges when you spray you have a leak.
Were not going to try to use the 36's. We'll rebuild the 38's and have a proper fit in the intake boot.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You CAN'T mount 36mm carbs into 38mm boots. If you MUST use them, you will need to get new intake boots. Probably from a 600 Katana. You will just need to find out what model of the same year had the 36mm carbs.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The 36mm may be from an earlier model GSXR. They could be from a GSX1100 too. All of these bikes from '85 on had the BST Mikuni's, just different models and sizes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried googling "mikuni bst 36mm carburetors" I'm still not finding ones that look like what I have.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yes they should be the same as mine. I believe '93 to '95 all have the same carbs. '96 they went to the (ever so painful) electronic Mikuni's. Be thankful you don't have them. Very complicated...

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I'm in SE Wisconsin. I'm not sure what he wants to get out of them.
Wait, What?
You're in SE WI? What city/area? Have we met?
I'm in SE WI! SW Milwaukee- live in Franklin.
Ride all the time- K5 GSXR1000 Blue.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts