Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2002 gsx-r750 and this guy at the local shop was telling me that instead of just replacing my chain with a good x ring change and new sprocket prossibly going down 1 in the front that i should do the 520 chain conversion.. what the hell is that all about..

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ok If You Are Changeing The Teeth On The Sprocket Like I Went Down One In Front And Up Two In Back That Put My Final Drive Ratio At 3-1 Meaning It Gets Up And Goes Alittle Bit Faster . Stock For My Bike Is Like 2.85-1 Or So But Basicly It Gets You Off The Line Faster By Changing The Sprocket Size , It Also Makes It Easer To Do Wheelys. That Is It In A Nut Shell Now To Get A Faster Gear Ratio Go Down In Front But Do Not Change The Back This Would Put You Over 3-1 Ex You Can Find A Gear Calculater And It Will Show You ! So Did This Help?

·
Registered
217 Posts
your bike prolly has a 525 chain and sprockets on it. the 520 is smaller and lighter = less rotating mass = less hp drop in the drive train. unless you are a pro level racer i doubt that you would notice the difference in just changing the size of the chain. your better bet would be to either go down 1 in the front or up 3 in the rear.

i prefer to change the rear sprocket rather than the front only because the smaller one in the front is a tighter radius and works the chain harder to go around. that is just my opinion with no facts to back that last statement up but makes sense to me so i use it. :fu:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The difference in radius in pretty darn small.

Teh 520 conversion is all about rotating mass and unsprung weight.

With the drop in weight on the rear sprocket (thinner) and smaller chain you can notice a small difference in suspention working.

Also with the lighter weight of all 3 components (both sprockets and chain) you lessen the rotating mass, which is a VERY significant change. For one your bike will accelerate harder, both from the drop in drivtrain losses and percieved mass of the bike. Rotating mass grows with RPM, that is to say a 1 lb drop at a standstill can be equivelant to 30 or more LBS at speed.

Two, it will change the inertia of the bike and minimally change tip in effort.

yes it is a good idea if you want to accelerate or wheelie a bit easier.

I personally run stock gear ratios.

I recomend dropping one tooth on the front though as this is equvelant to ading about 3 to the rear, but does not require a change in the lenght of the chain.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
i went -1 in the front and kept the stock rear sprocket/chain and i love it....to me any more than that would make highway riding a bitch, and drop my top-end too much.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
usdm420 said:
i went -1 in the front and kept the stock rear sprocket/chain and i love it....to me any more than that would make highway riding a bitch, and drop my top-end too much.

Any mroe than that would be HELL on a 600, but not to bad on a 750. I have riden one at about 80 with -1/+1 gearing, and it was still less buzzy than my 600.

I just dont get the gearing thing. I mean I COMPLETELY understand it.... trust me... I jsut dont get it. I have stock sprockets on my 03 600, and can lift the bike in 3rd at 75 + MPH.... what more do you need : :headscrat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.