Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering what is the best bike for a beginner I'm wanting to jump directly to a GSXR 600 but I don't know if that would be smart

·
Super Moderator
9,008 Posts
Welcome.

Check out the "new riders and members" section. There are a few pinned threads at the top regarding first bikes and new riders.that are a good read.

More than the bike size, the riding position is more important for a new rider in my opinion.

If your goal is to learn to ride a bike well, GSXRs and other sportbikes put you in a position where you inevitably support your upper body on the bars and to me, this hampers the learning curve. A more upright position with wider bars is much better to learn on. I ignored the advice to get an SV650n and went to a SV1000s. The 1000s is not a real aggressive riding position but when I got a more upright bike after, I realized the bad habits I was using on the 1000s.

There are a bunch of really fun bikes in this category including the SV650n, GSX-S750, FZ-06, FZ/MT-07, etc.

If you buy something used at a decent price, you can usually sell it again for the same or not much less unless you tear it up.

Remember that this may be your first bike, but hopefully not your last.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Agree with @rv6john although you will outgrow a smaller bike you will pick up better habits and grow faster than you would with something like a 600. I started on a Ninja 650R and move to a GSXR600 9 months later. Love the torque on the 650R but needed lots of mods to make it track ready and that is when I move up to a 600. If you don't plan on getting on a track or trying to race everyone on the street than the bikes John mentioned are ideal -> SV650n, GSX-S750, FZ-06, FZ/MT-07,

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
The one that doesn't kill you! LOL

Depends what type of riding you want to do.
Do you want to go down the street like you are sitting on a recliner? A sofa?, of somewhat crouched over like a sport bike?
The latter is my preference. I just can't imagine riding with my feet way forward where you can't quickly get off the saddle.
Oh I rode that way on my CB750 for a few months- 38 years ago! I'm 60 now.

Reactions: Jimmy boy

·
Registered
262 Posts
My opinion is a dirt bike. It teaches balance , counter steering , lack of traction and falling. Falling in the dirt is much safer than pavement . Also on a sport bike they can get totaled from 1 fall due to costs of fairings and such.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,148 Posts
My opinion is a dirt bike. It teaches balance , counter steering , lack of traction and falling. Falling in the dirt is much safer than pavement . Also on a sport bike they can get totaled from 1 fall due to costs of fairings and such.
I can't disagree that a little dirt experience is good. You will learn how to shift and brake. You will also develop some of the muscle memory required to control a motorcycle in turns. I would only caution that any street bike is a bit of a different animal than a dirt bike, particularly sport bikes. The riding posture and limited range of steering predisposes them to be very unforgiving. If you have developed some skill on dirt and are used to steering with the throttle IMO it may make a sport bike seem counterintuitive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One of the most important things to consider is comfort. If the bike's comfortable when you first sit on it, you'll be able to concentrate on the controls and getting used to the bike's operation.. instead of comfort. IMHO, this is a much better approach than buying a bike and altering it with after-market mods to 'customize the fit'. If it's not comfortable to start with?? ... well, you can put a bow tie on a hog, but it's still a pig.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I can't disagree that a little dirt experience is good. You will learn how to shift and brake. You will also develop some of the muscle memory required to control a motorcycle in turns. I would only caution that any street bike is a bit of a different animal than a dirt bike, particularly sport bikes. The riding posture and limited range of steering predisposes them to be very unforgiving. If you have developed some skill on dirt and are used to steering with the throttle IMO it may make a sport bike seem counterintuitive.
I agree with you on the differences. The best of the best do both. On the street you’re going to have traction most of the time. Standard street bikes are a better choice to learn the basics, cause as you say the riding position is so unforgiving. even if you’re experienced it’s a bit hard if you get lazy and rest weight on your hands instead of using core. In the dirt you really get good lessons on clutch and brake control. Too much front you’re on your ass. I personally am glad that I started on the dirt with small displacement engines. Trail 70’s and first street bike was a 68 CL90. 600’s are ffin fast and shouldn’t be a first bike for anyone imo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts