Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I would imagine he was talking about Drag racing, because thats the forum he's in. I would just suggest shifting at redline, thats where I shift.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
yep right at redline BUT if you get a dyno run on your bike you can find out exactly where to shift. Shifting to late hurts your MPH in the 1/4

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
even so, you dont want to shift where your HP peaks, this is a HUGE mistake made by many people.

when doing this, you drop your rpms BELOW the peak HP in the next gear which is what youwant to avoid...you should be able to shift right into, or JUST before your peak starts.

i, like ski, take it to redline...

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
usdm420 said:
even so, you dont want to shift where your HP peaks, this is a HUGE mistake made by many people.

when doing this, you drop your rpms BELOW the peak HP in the next gear which is what youwant to avoid...you should be able to shift right into, or JUST before your peak starts.

i, like ski, take it to redline...
Thats exactly why I shift at redline, drops you back into your powerband.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
but when you shift AFTER peak power, the amount of power at reline is less than that at peak. If you shift at peak in that gear yes you're not at peak in the next gear, but at least you're GAINing power in the next gear instead of losing it in your current

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
You need to know what or where your bike makes power to know shift points and also torque as well. Stated you should shift after your shift point about 2000 rpm after

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Got2josh said:
but when you shift AFTER peak power, the amount of power at reline is less than that at peak. If you shift at peak in that gear yes you're not at peak in the next gear, but at least you're GAINing power in the next gear instead of losing it in your current
No what you should be thinking about, is the power more after peak hp or before peak hp. Thats the only way to know what is better for your bike.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
correct again ski....just cuz power drops off after the peak, doesnt mean its less than BEFORE the peak, which would mean staying on it past the peak is still better than shifting early

·
Registered
642 Posts
Dragging

I race a '01 1000... actually the group I ride with have been drag racing for 15 years. When I started learning, they tought me three concepts:

1) Strap your bike
2) Shift 1000 RPMs before redline
3) Leave on 3rd yellow (not protree obviously)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.