Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in S. Florida so I'm looking for a warm weather, mesh/textile jacket. I ordered the Alpinestars Stella T-GP Plus Air Jacket and it seems to fit me awkwardly. It fits in the chest area, but seems short in the arms and a bit restrictive. This is my first jacket. I am considering sending it back and getting a larger size, but also got to thinking maybe the style/cut has something to do with it or the fact that I'm not used to wearing a riding jacket. I might replace it with the Scorpion Nip Tuck jacket.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
537 Posts
It should be just a tad long in the arms to compensate for crouching over the bike.. Im not a fan of a snug fit everywhere else.. I like mine a little loose actually. Also I don't buy things like boots, helmets, jackets online unless I know how the brand fits.. It's better to try them on in house. Those are my thoughts.

I also wear an ICON Seventh Seal Mesh/Leather

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I had the luxury of trying jackets, ect., but the only store close is Cycle Gear and they mainly have cheap items like Bilt. :frown:

·
Operation ... squid
9,341 Posts
i got a nice "shift" textile jacket at cycle gear ... i like mine over sized as well
just go and see the brands and what size is comfey and then u can order according to the size

·
Mistress of Moderation
4,690 Posts
All brands are cut differently, and we women are all built differently too. :biggrin: Get a jacket that fits you and that meets your needs no matter how many times you have to send it back. Revzilla makes returns easy. Cycle Gear has lots more online than in their stores, and if it doesn't fit, you can return it to the store if that is easier than return mail.

My first jacket was by Shift and I still love it. Fits great, clearly built for riders, and has lasted 3 years. I also really like the Joe Rocket gear I've bought. When buying online, I find the customer comments to be extremely helpful and right on target. And check the measuring charts for that brand if available. Sometimes I'm small, sometimes I'm medium, and sometimes there is no way that an item will fit me comfortably without alterations.

You've just got to shop around to find what works for you I think.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All brands are cut differently, and we women are all built differently too. :biggrin: Get a jacket that fits you and that meets your needs no matter how many times you have to send it back. Revzilla makes returns easy. Cycle Gear has lots more online than in their stores, and if it doesn't fit, you can return it to the store if that is easier than return mail.

My first jacket was by Shift and I still love it. Fits great, clearly built for riders, and has lasted 3 years. I also really like the Joe Rocket gear I've bought. When buying online, I find the customer comments to be extremely helpful and right on target. And check the measuring charts for that brand if available. Sometimes I'm small, sometimes I'm medium, and sometimes there is no way that an item will fit me comfortably without alterations.

You've just got to shop around to find what works for you I think.
Good advice, thank you!! I'm going to order the Scorpion Nip Tuck jacket and see if I like that fit better.

·
Mistress of Moderation
4,690 Posts
Good advice, thank you!! I'm going to order the Scorpion Nip Tuck jacket and see if I like that fit better.
And be sure to report back! All of us ladies are in the same boat when it comes to the frustration of finding good gear at a reasonable cost that fits us. :tongue:

Some websites you might explore that have helpful information for us…
http://revgirl.com
http://www.sportbiketrackgirl.com
N1sniper turned me on to this one: http://www.yellowdevilgear.com/shop/womens

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I have a scorpion jacket and a icon both fit differently also. Best advice definitely go and try them out I know I did them figured out what size to pick for each brand. Also if u buy online use the measurements they have online for that specific jacket so you can get a rough idea what size to pick. Next time take that extra long ride to another shop I went to 3 different shops just to figure out what I truly wanted amd what size to choose. Good luck

·
Registered
155 Posts
I live in S. Florida so I'm looking for a warm weather, mesh/textile jacket. I ordered the Alpinestars Stella T-GP Plus Air Jacket and it seems to fit me awkwardly. It fits in the chest area, but seems short in the arms and a bit restrictive. This is my first jacket. I am considering sending it back and getting a larger size, but also got to thinking maybe the style/cut has something to do with it or the fact that I'm not used to wearing a riding jacket. I might replace it with the Scorpion Nip Tuck jacket.

Thoughts?
Alpinestars is usually on the smaller side. I would say try the next size up if you really like the jacket, that little extra room might give you what you need. GP-Plus is a quite sporty jacket and so will be fitted like that, it won't be as "roomy" as other brands. I just bought an A* suit and even though my Icon jacket is a medium I'm having to get an XL.

Where in South FL are you at?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I'm a guy and our shit fits way different but I had a Shift jacket that I loved as my first jacket...Being 6'4 the length is always a problem for me...My AGVSport leather fits awesome...and I have a cortech mesh jacket that fits well to.

My girl wears a speed and strength womens jacket and she's like 5'2 and it's a M and fits her pretty good.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I gots a black and blue leather alpinestars indy jacket. Nice perforation with great airflow. And a white alpinestars tgp air mesh jacket which is great but the all white scheme isnt so great... dirty'ness!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alpinestars is usually on the smaller side. I would say try the next size up if you really like the jacket, that little extra room might give you what you need. GP-Plus is a quite sporty jacket and so will be fitted like that, it won't be as "roomy" as other brands. I just bought an A* suit and even though my Icon jacket is a medium I'm having to get an XL.

Where in South FL are you at?
I'm actually in Sarasota too. :bounce

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm actually in Sarasota too. :bounce
No way dude! Well I hope you figure the jacket out and get what you want :thumbup:

I was actually talking with another guy Bry on here about places to go ride, do you know anywhere that has nice turns? It's hard to find down here I know. I found a sweet little spot between fruitville and university on north cattlemen; it's a new road but it's got some awesome turns, albeit only 3-4 so the fun is over before it begins lol! I'm new to Sarasota so i don't know the ins and outs yet.

·
The Honey Badger
11,974 Posts
Personally, I don't trust any jacket except for leather. I've heard it all before, and now I can say I've been through it too. It's not hot here in the summer months, it's BRUTALLY, DISGUSTING, NASTY HOT from April-October. While a leather jacket isn't the best for sitting at red lights, or in stop and go traffic, they protect better than anything else. Period.

My motto is this: I'd rather sweat than bleed. So while technically, a mesh or textile jacket is better than nothing, they're still not nearly as protective as leather. And I've found that if I get too hot in my leather jacket, I just unzip it a little bit and get some extra air.

With all that said, I can only recommend a leather jacket.

Finding a good fitting jacket it tough. It seems that every brand fits differently, and also fitment is different inside the same brand. It's always best to try stuff on locally, and then buy online since it's usually cheaper on the web than in-store. Don't forget that if the jacket that arrives doesn't fit you like you hoped, you can return it and try a different size. Granted, that does take some time.

Locally, try Cycle Gear, Barney's, Manx, and even dealerships. Try every jacket on, take note of which brands or sizes fit you better than others.

Jinkster, I spent some time messing around on Google Maps today. I also like to check out www.motorcycleroads.com to see what other routes riders may have posted.

·
Monster Truck Driver
6,530 Posts
my mesh is joe Rocket .. my textile and leather are both icon .. only issue has been tucking the girls in . other then than . love them all ... hell my rocket is,like 5 years old

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
661 Posts
Personally, I don't trust any jacket except for leather. I've heard it all before, and now I can say I've been through it too. It's not hot here in the summer months, it's BRUTALLY, DISGUSTING, NASTY HOT from April-October. While a leather jacket isn't the best for sitting at red lights, or in stop and go traffic, they protect better than anything else. Period.

My motto is this: I'd rather sweat than bleed. So while technically, a mesh or textile jacket is better than nothing, they're still not nearly as protective as leather. And I've found that if I get too hot in my leather jacket, I just unzip it a little bit and get some extra air.

With all that said, I can only recommend a leather jacket.

Finding a good fitting jacket it tough. It seems that every brand fits differently, and also fitment is different inside the same brand. It's always best to try stuff on locally, and then buy online since it's usually cheaper on the web than in-store. Don't forget that if the jacket that arrives doesn't fit you like you hoped, you can return it and try a different size. Granted, that does take some time.

Locally, try Cycle Gear, Barney's, Manx, and even dealerships. Try every jacket on, take note of which brands or sizes fit you better than others.

Jinkster, I spent some time messing around on Google Maps today. I also like to check out www.motorcycleroads.com to see what other routes riders may have posted.
Same here. I had a few textile jackets before I got my Teknic leather jacket. It's perforated and flows a ton of air, sometimes in the summer I almost shiver because so much air flows through it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts