Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

What PSIs do you run everyday with?

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Nesh-GSXR750 
#1 ·
whats up,
I looked for this but couldnt find it, curious what everyone is running in their tires.. the guy i bought my bike from i have kept it at what he ran it at.. let me know what you guys think about this, if its to much or what. thanks

2002 gsxr 600 34lb front, 36lb rear....

#3 ·
Every tire brand and model is different. Everyone prefers a different feel when they ride, however, I doubt that 95% of sportbike owners even considered experimenting with tire pressure to see what they actually like. Instead, they just look at the manual or sidewall of the tire and air it up to that. Believe it or not, if you are a very seasoned/knowledgeable rider you can tell when your tires are a little off your preferred psi (even just 2 psi). With that said, I ride the street with Pilot Powers and ride 32f/28r psi cold pressure. On the track with Dunlop N-techs its 29f/20r cold pressure or 32f/23r hot pressure.

#5 · (Edited)
Thats if they even check it:headscrat
So true...even if they own a quality tire gauge and not one of those pen ones :headshake

#6 ·
I WAS running stock recommended tire pressures (I think they were 36 psi front and rear for my k8 600), until I had my suspension set for my weight. The shop to me that I should lower them down to 32 psi, which I promptly did and noticed a (good) difference right away!

It will depend on you though. I weigh in at a lightweight 130 fully dressed, so those pressures feel right for me.

#26 ·
Suspension settings

hi shoua,

riding k8 750. me too lightweight like you at 130lbs. but so far i tried many diff settings which yet to suit my kind of fast riding. wld u care to share the settings for your suspension since u stated that it is meant for ya weight. btw having michelin 2cts as my tyres. :thumbup:

hope to hear from u and hope my misery of finding the right settings come to a end. :)

#8 ·
if you do a lot of freeway riding higher pressure will help with the tire getting flat in the middle (36-40 psi) but if you do freeway and twisties between 31-33 i constantly adjust my pressure. you can extend your tire life some too. in the end its all what you like for your riding style.

#9 ·
I didn't experiment with the air pressures on the GSXRs much, but I could definitely tell when they were off. But, on the R6 I have now, the current front tire (Pirelli Diablo Street) must be between 32-35 psi cold or the front end feels wrong. The rear (Bridgestone BT-021) can vary a bit more, but I still like it to be between 32-38 cold.

Those are street pressures. I haven't gotten the R6 onto the track yet, so I don't really know what I will end up with there.

#17 ·
Chango If you dont mind me asking why did ya go with the 6 as opposed to the gsxr? I have herd that there clutch will not take very much "abuse" do you if there is any truth to that? I have a buddy that has the R1 and he has all ready changed his and the bike is only two yrs old.

#18 ·
In my experience with R6 track/race bikes the clutch friction plates don't last near as long as the GSXR's. I was replacing my clutch in the R6 every season and on my GSXR's every 2-3 years on track bikes. Street bikes is a whole other ballgame. In the R6's when I did replace them I was getting more life with DP Braking clutch kits plus you don't have to pre-soak the rings.

#20 ·
The newer R6 (06+) is a twitchy bike. It flicks from side to side so fast and dives into turns with pretty much no effort. Of course that can be attributed to how some people set up the geometry but even without messing with geometry other than for tire set up, the R6 is my favorite track bike. Street riders who own R6's and don't ride track say their R6 is somewhat disappointing because they say it's slow in low rpm. Well, duh...it's a freakin race bike and it thrives above 11k-12k rpm. Mid-range and highend, the GSXR can't keep up, especially if you tweak the R6 motor and get a good map made. You will not see as many R6 racing this year like last year due to Yamaha not paying out as much in the club level. Suzuki and Kawi are paying out still.

#22 · (Edited)
I ride my 750 on the track now for the most part but my friend has an 07 R6 with 123HP to rear wheel running pump gas. It freakin rails. The bad part about the R6, they don't crash very well. My friend crashed 2 out of his 3 R6 race bikes in just 2 sprint races. Totalled $19,000 worth of two R6 bikes in just 8 total laps of racing.

#23 ·
WOW! So maybe I'll take my 600 out until I get back up to speed and actually start to race again. jst kinda kickin around some ideas and know where there is a crashed r6 for 25.... hmmm lookin like its a better idea that i jst do some track days on my 600 fornow:headscrat

#24 ·
Tank sliders are a must for the R6 and also, have a spare subframe laying around because those things snap easily on both newer R6's and GSXR's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.