Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
i got an 04 600 but i can't imagine yours and mine being different.

i use 10w-40 (synthetic or not -your choice) and it takes about a gallon - 4 quarts. buy four quarts coz three isn't enough, but don't pour all four, start checking after 3 quarts and gradually increase.

oh and the amount i said is when you replace the oil filter too. i can't imagine why you'd change your oil without replacing the filter.

i would STRONGLY suggest that you use motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
how many miles on your bike and where are you located??? these are factors when deciding what oil to run.......i have 13.5K on my '04 600 and i run motul synthetic 15-50...i like it in this cali weather

·
Registered
3 Posts
AMSOIL test the best

I have used Motul and Mobil One and have just switched to AMSOIL. They have the best test results for all synthetics and my bikes seem to love it. I have had no clutch\shifting issues, there seems to be a slight performance gain which last longer, and the FZ seems to run cooler.

Just my two cents...

http://www.amsoil.com/

·
Banned
105 Posts
I run Kendal Motorcycle oil 20W50 petrolium based, but very slick. With filter change, my 03 Gixxer 1K take 3.5 quarts oil.

Hey Hendo,

Some of the other forums that I belong to and the guys who switched to Amsoil, were knocking out there cams in just a few thousand miles. So if you want to continue running Amsoil, keep a good eye on your cams.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have switched to castrol r4 and i dont think i will ever use anything else the trans is mutch smother and also helps with the high pitch vibration of the 05 gsxr 1000 i have about 5000 miles on my bike

it is about 4.99 - 6.99 per qt

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
joerocket82 said:
What should i run in my 05 gsxr 600? I bought Mobil 1 ext. performance, but haven't used it yet. I'm having second thoughts, because it is not motorcycle specific.

dont go pouring car oil into your bike :headshake

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've used Mobile 1 Synthetic car oil since my 96 750 was new... It's got 21,000 miles on it, and still runs like a bat outta hell, No problems, and the original clutch (which is finally at the end of it's adjustment) has never had a slippage problem. Come to think of it, I've run Mobile 1 Synthetic, in just about every bike ive ever owned.... No problems whatsoever.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,477 Posts
Manual says 10w40 and 3.3 qts for the 01-03 600's. You will actually put in about 3.4-3.5 qts though. I personally use Amsoil 10/40 and have been since my bike turned 5k miles, I now have 32,000 miles on her.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if it is ok to run 100% synthetic oil in my gsxr? I have always heard that if you run 100% synthetic oil in my 4 wheeler and dirt bike it would make the clutch plates slip because it was TOO good of a lubricant/oil. Is this true?

·
Registered
159 Posts
i started with spectra 10w40 on the first oil change- now im using repsol synthetic blend 10w-40.. no issues with clutch and the bike runs super smooth now. :thumbup: the bike also runs bout 10 degrees cooler than normal.. so i guess its a good thing..

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I have been using Mobil 1 (10w-40) syn specific for bikes for 4 years now. No problems and no clutch slippage. I would never use car oil in any bike. My brother does that with his goldwing and he has over 30/k miles on her. But that is a 6 cycl. I have been hearing nothing but good things about Amsoil............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.