·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. Mechanical trivia here:

I have a 2005 GSXR1000.

Only 6000 miles on it.

Never had any problems with it.

Now suddenly (almost overnight, maybe a week, as far as I can tell)
1) the exhaust smells A BIT like unburn gasoline
2) SLIGHT hesitation SOMETIMES only under 2000 rpm when I take off moderatly hard.
3) This thing has so much power and I don't take it to the track so I can't say I noticed any power loss.

- Absolutly no mods done to the bike. COMPLETELY stock and never dropped/crashed.
- The only thing that have been changed are the oil and oil filter, and gas stabilizer put in it during winter. The stabiliser is now long gone because ran several tanks of gas since.
- I always use 91 octane or more.
- The break in was done properly, A BIT on the hard side but never at constant revs and the temp never went past 200 degree Fareinheit (95 celcius).

Any idea what's happening? Anybody?

·
rotaredom
888,895,580 Posts
my 06 is the same way "bone stock other then oil changes", gas smell at times but no hesitation on mine whatsoever...i think it is due to the set valve, and unburned gasses get trapped in the potato can...imo :hmmm:

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
there is no set valve for an 05 1000 have you checked plugs ?
the 1k has had a set valve ever since 2001.

but , the first thing i would check is the spark plugs and the TPS is adjusted properly. after those i would look into the fuel system (have the pump pressure tested) and that the air filter isnt too dirty.

if youre still having problems, take it to a shop and have it reflashed if you arent throwing a code. if it is throwing a code (put it in dealer mode to check) there may be your problem.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i'd suggest changing your plugs if you go through the trouble of removin em might as well replace them. also check you air filter while you go in there.
possible stuck open injector?:hmmm: just my 2cents

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK... I now have

From your answers I have:

1) Running rich:
Probably... but why.

2) The set valve is responsible...just by being there... causing unburnt gases.

So if it is... it means it is a normal condition... ?!?

3) spark plugs

Why would they be causing problems (not firing) after only 6000miles ?!? Defective? And would I notice a significant change in performances.

4) TPS is adjusted properly

What is that??

5) fuel system (have the pump pressure tested)

Looking for TOO MUCH pressure?

6) the air filter isnt too dirty.

I tought of that and will look at it since it is easy to do... but again...6000 miles... never ridden in the dirt or "messy" conditions that could prematurly clog my filter.

7) take it to a shop and have it reflashed if you arent throwing a code. if it is throwing a code (put it in dealer mode to check) there may be your problem.

I don't have any error codes... and I did not think the EFI could "forget" it's settings... I assume you are suggesting the dealer "reset" the EFI when you say reflash it.

8) Stuck open injector

Wouldn't that give me A LOT MORE problems than what I am seeing?? Like backfires, REALLY stink gasoline, noticeable difference in sound and performance, increase fuel consumption, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts