Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rode to work, it was 35 degrees Farenheit. (just above freezing for any non-USers out there) I know 35 degrees isn't anything to write home about but it got me thinking what temperatures do you all ride in?

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
I have been out well below freezing with snow on the ground...Motor Cycle Picture Game run. It was a very short ride. Typically I'll ride above freezing if the roads are dry and there isn't too much salt and sand. The second winter I had my bike I was able to get out for a ride at least once every month of the year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been out well below freezing with snow on the ground...Motor Cycle Picture Game run. It was a very short ride. Typically I'll ride above freezing if the roads are dry and there isn't too much salt and sand. The second winter I had my bike I was able to get out for a ride at least once every month of the year.
Yeah, I'm kind of the same, except that when I leave for work in the morning I am significantly less motivated to ride in the cold than when it's already later in the day.

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
Yeah. I get it. Kinda like riding in the rain...I'll ride in to work in the rain if it is supposed to clear up during the day. Basically I'd rather ride to work in the rain than drive home in the truck in the sunshine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. I get it. Kinda like riding in the rain...I'll ride in to work in the rain if it is supposed to clear up during the day. Basically I'd rather ride to work in the rain than drive home in the truck in the sunshine.
Exactly. Well said.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
45F. Anything below that just isn't pleasant. I've ridden in colder, but wouldn't choose to. However, if I had the gloves to do it, I'd probably be open for much colder.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
45F. Anything below that just isn't pleasant. I've ridden in colder, but wouldn't choose to. However, if I had the gloves to do it, I'd probably be open for much colder.
gloves change the game. I just bought a $15 pair of leather gloves with Thinsulate from Menards and my hands are the warmest part of my ride in the cold.

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
I am in Niagara Falls. The secret to the gloves is get a heavy pair of work socks and nip five holes in them to make fingerless gloves...any shop teachers out there just nip what you need. Trick two is to keep your thumb up behind the bar out of the wind. The only thing that ever really got cold was the tips of my thumbs pointing forward.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am in Niagara Falls. The secret to the gloves is get a heavy pair of work socks and nip five holes in them to make fingerless gloves...any shop teachers out there just nip what you need. Trick two is to keep your thumb up behind the bar out of the wind. The only thing that ever really got cold was the tips of my thumbs pointing forward.
huh, that's solid advice

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
It's just a financial choice really. I could go to the local CycleGear or order some cold weather, or even heated, gloves. I just have other things I'd rather spend that money on. Like trackday tires!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I've ridden low 30's, just last week. The right gear/layers. No prob.
I even wear my nice riding rain gear on the outside- no wind gets in, less layers underneath.

I was going to ride to work today, going to be 46F.
But when I got up, there was 2" of snow on the ground, didn't stick to the warmer pavement- it was just wet.
I don't like riding on wet roads if I don't have to. Not b/c of safety per se,
'cause it takes way ore time to clean the bike, that gets way dirtier on damp/wet roads.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Did 26F/-3C (once) this Winter, only 20 minutes to work & the fingers went white & numb. I'll be getting some heated gloves before doing that again. Generally don't trust the traction when it's that cold, takes the fun out of riding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts