Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is alot cheaper to have your bike mapped on A dyno rather than buying a power comander. I understand that with a power commander you can adjust your bike every time you install more upgrades, but is that the only difference between the two . I am not sure. any info?

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
You may have talked to someone that said that they have or use a TEKA tool or a Yosh Box and those 2 tools remap your Ecu so that you do not need to have a powercommander to add to your bike. Power commanders is a break between your fueling system and ecu and it takes the signal that your ecu sends and manipulate it to the settings that your power commanders is set to and this goes to the bike injectors setting etc etc.
Some tuners states that sometimes then Powercommander does not send correct signal or in high rpms it scatters the signals so its not as accurate.

TEKA/Yosh (black box) tune is good if you have a money to put on the dyno each time you add something or if you want to purchase everything you can think of for your bike and out it on at one time.
If i missed something someone finish it up for me

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
audi1031 said:
You may have talked to someone that said that they have or use a TEKA tool or a Yosh Box and those 2 tools remap your Ecu so that you do not need to have a powercommander to add to your bike. Power commanders is a break between your fueling system and ecu and it takes the signal that your ecu sends and manipulate it to the settings that your power commanders is set to and this goes to the bike injectors setting etc etc.
Some tuners states that sometimes then Powercommander does not send correct signal or in high rpms it scatters the signals so its not as accurate.

TEKA/Yosh (black box) tune is good if you have a money to put on the dyno each time you add something or if you want to purchase everything you can think of for your bike and out it on at one time.
If i missed something someone finish it up for me
That just about covers everything.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I also heard that if your battery dies the you lose the information and you have to re-do it and pay again. some places will log the data under your seat or somewhere and you can go back and have them upload it at a smaller fee. A local shop here in Columbus, OH charges $100 for the initial re-mapping and around $20-30 to re-do it if your battery goes.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I would have to call that false as I had power commander and my Yoshe EMS disconnect from bike and reconnected and I went into the retreval and it was still there. Maybe I have been lucky but i dobt it.
Only problem I have with yosh box mapping is if you bought another bike and went to add this and that to it and wondered why you bike is acting up. You would have never known that it was teka/yosh tuned and hence you will think someting is seriously wrong with it.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so basically I need not bother with the dyno and just get a power commander? Unless i am just wondering what my bike is doing for hp ? does the power commander do air fuel ratio adjustments ? And to be totally honest I am still in the dark about what you said about the yosh/teka deal! Please break it down for me I dont know the lingo just yet.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
hmmm, i need to go get my shit tuned.....ever since the bolt-on pipe its been running lopey at idle

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
yellowmattman said:
so basically I need not bother with the dyno and just get a power commander?
You can get the teka tune or Yoshimuras -Black box, but you will have to go to get it tuned each time you add something to your bike (performance wise)
Powercommander will still need you to visit a dyno to make it better,but you can adjust with power commander like adding fuel and taking timing out if you know what your doing

does the power commander do air fuel ratio adjustments ?
No it does not do air /fuel ratio and you will need a dyno to see what is going on for that and then you can use the power commander to adjust for it.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Get the PowerCommander, but you still need to have somebody dyno tune it because you will not know how the power curve looks and on the dyno they can squeeze every bit of HP out of the whole RPM range.

And audi is right, the whole battery dead/Dyno Tweak resets itself is not true for either the Powercommaner or the Teka/yosh box tune.

·
Registered
268 Posts
skibum91 said:
Get the PowerCommander, but you still need to have somebody dyno tune it because you will not know how the power curve looks and on the dyno they can squeeze every bit of HP out of the whole RPM range.

And audi is right, the whole battery dead/Dyno Tweak resets itself is not true for either the Powercommaner or the Teka/yosh box tune.
that's why I love this forum, I finally found a place where I can get some straight answers from fellow gixxer owners.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Another cool thing about the Power Comm. PCIII USB version is that maps can be had from Dynojet (and some tuners) over the internet via email and downloaded when ever you make an equipment change. 4or 5 mouse clicks and you're there. :thumbup:

·
Pro Racer
1,834 Posts
oldguzziguy said:
Another cool thing about the Power Comm. PCIII USB version is that maps can be had from Dynojet (and some tuners) over the internet via email and downloaded when ever you make an equipment change. 4or 5 mouse clicks and you're there. :thumbup:
Every single bike is differet from one another. So you really aren't helping yourself that much.

·
Registered
97 Posts
onedownfiveup said:
Every single bike is differet from one another. So you really aren't helping yourself that much.
Good point, and one well taken, but don't you think that the map that Dyno jet has on their web site for a given bike/exhaust combination would be better than nothing (or the stock ECU)? That said, I agree with you about each bike is different and there is no real substitute for a good tuning session on a dyno with a knowledgable technician.

·
Pro Racer
1,834 Posts
oldguzziguy said:
Good point, and one well taken, but don't you think that the map that Dyno jet has on their web site for a given bike/exhaust combination would be better than nothing (or the stock ECU)? That said, I agree with you about each bike is different and there is no real substitute for a good tuning session on a dyno with a knowledgable technician.
Yes and no. Before I had access to a Dyno my roommate had a 04 600 with a Yosh Slip-on. We used the maps downloaded from the site and we found that the Micron Slip On map worked best.

If you're willing to spend the $250 or whatever for the power commander, why not spend the extra $150 - $250 to get it tuned right?

·
Pro Racer
1,834 Posts
Power Commander and Yosh EMS

Pro: You and anyone else with a computer can adjust the map as needed. You can download maps as well.

Cons: The cost of the two items is the only con I can think of. Please feel free to add if needed.

Teka/Yosh Box

Pro: Any Dyno Tuner that has either of these tools can tune any bike available to have these flash their ECU. You don't have to pay for any extra equipment except for their tune time.

Con: Once your ECU is flashed it stays on the ECU without it connected, therefore if you take it to another tuner that does not have either of the two tuning devices then they can't work with it. If you buy a power commander later on and do not flash back to stock you'll have to tune over the current map.

·
Registered
97 Posts
onedownfiveup said:
Yes and no. Before I had access to a Dyno my roommate had a 04 600 with a Yosh Slip-on. We used the maps downloaded from the site and we found that the Micron Slip On map worked best.

If you're willing to spend the $250 or whatever for the power commander, why not spend the extra $150 - $250 to get it tuned right?
If you didn't have access to a dyno how did you know that one map worked better than the other? Seat of the pants? No flames, just curious? :bowdown:

BTW, I agree with you completely about spending the extra bucks to get it done right. Unfortunately many of don't have access to a dyno AND a knowledgable tech (which is just as important, if not more important than the dyno). Agreed?

·
Pro Racer
1,834 Posts
oldguzziguy said:
If you didn't have access to a dyno how did you know that one map worked better than the other? Seat of the pants? No flames, just curious? :bowdown:

BTW, I agree with you completely about spending the extra bucks to get it done right. Unfortunately many of don't have access to a dyno AND a knowledgable tech (which is just as important, if not more important than the dyno). Agreed?
Only way I could tell is it minimized the notroious low RPM stumble that 04/05 600's have with bolt on pipes.

Also you can use http://www.dynojet.com/dyno_centers/motorcycle/index.php to locate a local dyno center near you. They are able to dyno your bike and tune it for you.

It doesn't take a genious to at least get your air/fuel decently flat and safe.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.