Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,290 Posts
Got2josh said:
well, lil' update here. I've been on the 750 for a few weeks now and pretty much have 1st and 2nd gear whoolies down.
The bike is so much twitchier than I thought it would be, it was nuts the first couple times clutching up 1st, came up wicked fast.
I would say that if if it's your first time and you have no idea what it's going to feel like, at least on the 750, start out in 2nd.
Sitting down, get to like 4-5k and pop the clutch at like 2k above road speed, it'll come up a little bit but not much, really controllable. but doing little sit-downs like this gives you a little feel for the bike coming up.

Now first gear, once you get comfy (somewhat) with the feeling of clutchin 2nd a little, get it high once in a while, I'd move down to first gear.
It's all a feel thing with the clutch, you have to just find it by trial and error, but I've found that the easiest way is to be going at around 25-30 or so, standing staggered, and slowly start accelerating, then, keeping the throttle steady, pull the clutch in just a little bit so that the revs climb a little let the clutch out quickly. You only pull it in just enough so it slips a little, no need to disengage it all the way. Now as you let go of the clutch the bike is going to jump up hella quick, the first time scared the crap out of me. So it popped up but instict makes you just chop the throttle and down you go.

So basically once you start doing that in first, try to get familiar with what the bike is going to do when you drop the clutch, and then start working on holding the throttle steady and feeling the bike rise up under you.
Eventually you'll learn where to drop the clutch so it comes right up to balance point, but until then clutch it just a foot or so and work the throttle to bring it higher.

First gear has a ton of engine braking, so if things get hairy at all you can chop the throttle it's gonna come right down.

good info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
i have been searching and searching for this info all friggen day! i tried a clutch dropper from dead stop in first, popped up the wheel about 6 inches and let go of the throttle to bring it back down only to smack my nuts on the tank =) this was before i read your posts here. now i think i gots the understanding of the wheelie alot better! gonna try some without popping tomorrow and see if i can bring it up a bit higher without the nut smash this time. you guys rock, I'm linking this post to another forum i was asking how to do wheelies. thanks! keep up the good work!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
cakemonster said:
i have been searching and searching for this info all friggen day! i tried a clutch dropper from dead stop in first, popped up the wheel about 6 inches and let go of the throttle to bring it back down only to smack my nuts on the tank =) this was before i red your posts here. now i think i gots the understanding of the wheelie alot better! gonna try some without popping tomorrow and see if i can bring it up a bit higher without the nut smash this time. you guys rock, I'm linking this post to another forum i was asking how to do wheelies. thanks! keep up the good work!!!
no problem man, if you have any other questions. dont be afraid to ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
haha, the old "tank slapper," lol, j/k. Anyways, keep going with the clutch, that stuff happens with or without the clutch when you chop the throttle. Just remember to keep your arms stiff and that won't really happen. also standing helps a lot to, but get comfortable with the feel of popping the clutch first, it's kinda awkward until you get used to it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
i know this is a bit off topic, but what boots are you guys usin? i want to protect my hooves in case i loop it. i can probably afford top of the line, so don't hold back on me =)
got my matching lather jacket a few days ago, helps with peace of mind
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
Hey guys i can get the power wheelies up all day now after several weeks of practice...but now i need to get the clutching thing done. I know you've explained this a thousand time but i dont' exactly know how to get it done....say im in 1st or 2nd gear going about 4k so i just bring the clutch in a bit and then let it quickly while i give it more throttle? or should i keep the throttle the same? I've tried to pull it in a bit and of course the rpms go up, and when i let it out nothign really happens other than a quick jerk, am i not going fast enough, or not letting out quick enough... Let me know how dumb im being here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
my clutch droppers are kindof doing the same thing ceeken is talking about. must take some balls to rev it up higher or something. I'm gona try and get a good accel going to about 4k, hold the accel and slip the clutch to about 7k and let the clutch fly... to be continued
seems like i may have to add a bit of throttle ofter the clutch drop initially to pull it up a bit. i can pop the wheel an inch no problem lol hella weak. my guess is i'm needin some more rev and a quicker drop with no lean forward

EDIT
just got back from a quick trip to the straight street down near the industrials

i need a wheelie spotter! (yes my friend knows i'm out riiding and where and to call an ambulence if i'm not back by 9 just in case)

when i do the "just gun it" in first gear wheelie, i can't tell how far up the wheel pops. i don't know if i'm even getting the sucker off the ground! on the other hand, i clutched up once... (unaware of rpm) and popped whaaaaaay up and scared the shit out of me, then let of an landed front tire hard and got a bit wobbly. that is so crazy! thanks for the tips! gotta get it down to a science so i can predict what will happen before it does. just gotta remember to look what rpm i'm at when the clutch pops, unless i can dial in the feeling
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
man, is there something worng with my bike?
power wheelies aren't working for me at all. i started trying them at about 6 r's .. and now I'm waiting untill 8-9 k before i smack the juice open. it's definatley powerband. I stay in one spot, don't try to lean forward (unless i don't realize it) and sit my ass back on the seat... i can't even tell if the wheel is poping up! if it is popping up, it's only raising like 1-2" and then sets back down like it's on a cloud of pillows and i can't feel shit. USDM420, i hope were riding this thrusday cause i need somone to tell me if my wheel is getting of the ground. I'm freaked out the clutch dropping wheelies after that first one. lmao... i can't seem to get the hang of this, but i'm also trying to keep myself from going to nutty, i havn't ha this sucker for too long. maybe one of the homies could give it a try on my bike an see if it's me or the bike. man, i gun that shit in first gear and i practically try to loop it, but i can't even tell if the wheel is coming up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,290 Posts
damn man hahaha
i can give it a shot thursday or at least show you how i do it on my bike....i bet you're not positioniong your body right...you're probably too tense, and you'll think you aren't!!! BUT, wait until you really get comfortable doing them right, and you'll realise what i'm talking about...just the slightest relaxation and lean can make a world of difference...ANY added weight to the front end will bring it down
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
cakemonster said:
man, is there something worng with my bike?
power wheelies aren't working for me at all. i started trying them at about 6 r's .. and now I'm waiting untill 8-9 k before i smack the juice open. it's definatley powerband. I stay in one spot, don't try to lean forward (unless i don't realize it) and sit my ass back on the seat... i can't even tell if the wheel is poping up! if it is popping up, it's only raising like 1-2" and then sets back down like it's on a cloud of pillows and i can't feel shit. USDM420, i hope were riding this thrusday cause i need somone to tell me if my wheel is getting of the ground. I'm freaked out the clutch dropping wheelies after that first one. lmao... i can't seem to get the hang of this, but i'm also trying to keep myself from going to nutty, i havn't ha this sucker for too long. maybe one of the homies could give it a try on my bike an see if it's me or the bike. man, i gun that shit in first gear and i practically try to loop it, but i can't even tell if the wheel is coming up
yea like your buddy said make sure you aren't riding the tank..that was my problem at first. try to sit back as far as you can on your seat. And it doesn't sound like you are getting up at all...you'll know as soon as you get it up. Also when you are taking it to 8-9K are you letting off the throttle before you gun it? you need to do that and feel the front end of the bike drop down right before you open it up. You will know exactly what im talking about when it happens. Im not sure how big your bike is and year...but mine is 01 600 and i take it up to 9-10K let off the throttle till the front drops (takes only a half a sec.) then open. and it'll pop up like nothing. good luck. also have someone video tape you doing it. that is the best way to get a feel for how high you are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
ceeken2000 said:
Hey guys i can get the power wheelies up all day now after several weeks of practice...but now i need to get the clutching thing done. I know you've explained this a thousand time but i dont' exactly know how to get it done....say im in 1st or 2nd gear going about 4k so i just bring the clutch in a bit and then let it quickly while i give it more throttle? or should i keep the throttle the same? I've tried to pull it in a bit and of course the rpms go up, and when i let it out nothign really happens other than a quick jerk, am i not going fast enough, or not letting out quick enough... Let me know how dumb im being here.
i dont think theres any certian rpm to be in what i do is pull the clutch in jus a lil so its disingauged and trottle closed then in one motion i open the throttle and let the clutch out.....im still opening my throttle as im letting out the clutch, its a feel thing kinda like when your in your stick shift car going up a lil hill from a dead stop...also i always give it a lil bounce no matter what speed im at even if its from a dead stop it jus makes it smoother
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,290 Posts
hmmmm. i tried the clutch several times and its too jerky for me right now...for beginners i totally suggest powering it up to get a feel for the wheel coming up..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
My feeling is that some of you guys are over thinking this wheelie thing. To say that I mean you should be concentrating more on feel and the sound of your engine, more than looking at the tach for RPM's. Do you look at the tach before every shift or do you go by feel or sound? Loosen up a bit, I don't agree with the above posters "Like A Robot ". One other thing to remember is as wheelie beginers you are never as close to 12o'clock as you think you are. Have a buddy spot for you and perhaps videotape your session. I use both clutch and throttle for wheelies, I find that both are equally useful. Be safe not stupid. Lastly Practice,Practice,Practice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, i'm getting the front wheel up a bit now.. and i can feel it! i hit 7k, let off, and then juice the mother and up she goes! thanks for the tips! it's workin :thumbup: i can do it without lookin at the rpms now that i have the "let off the gas then punch it" idea
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,290 Posts
yeah i used to look at the rpms when i first started too...now i can just roll her up, let off, and WHAK! up she comes....the engine lets me know when she's ready to go hahaha
 

·
The Lone Rider
Joined
·
2,462 Posts
did my first wheelie today, it was totally awesome. didnt get her too high, dont know if it is cause its lowered or cause i sit so far up on the tank. but thanks for the good info.
 

·
The Lone Rider
Joined
·
2,462 Posts
ok well i was practicing some more wheelies and when i came back down the front end got a little wobbly, i had control and didnt freak out, but i noticed i was in neutral and figured i hit it out of first going up or coming down. well anyways i tried to put it in second, all i heard was like a grinding noise like when you miss a gear in a car, did the same when i tried to put it into first, finally it went into gear. is this a known occurance, or what please ease my mind. its still a brand new bike.
 
21 - 40 of 245 Posts
Top