Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
i been practicing my power wheelies..
i can get em up pretty high sometimes, but not every time it seems. last night on an empty tank i had that sucker way up there. when i hit it at just the right time it goes waaay up
i'm still freaked out to try clutching too, but i'vebeen getting used to mixing clutch and throttle aggressivley. I'd assume that will lead to a wheelie one day

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
04StreetGSXR said:
ok well i was practicing some more wheelies and when i came back down the front end got a little wobbly, i had control and didnt freak out, but i noticed i was in neutral and figured i hit it out of first going up or coming down. well anyways i tried to put it in second, all i heard was like a grinding noise like when you miss a gear in a car, did the same when i tried to put it into first, finally it went into gear. is this a known occurance, or what please ease my mind. its still a brand new bike.
If you are going fast...and im sure if you were powerwheeling it, you were over 30-40 mph and you put it into neutral you need to slow down before putting it into gear. I don't know why that is, i'd imagine you're just going too fast for the gears to slide in easy. This has happened to my bike. just simply slow down and then put it into second. If you force it you will hear a loud "clunk".

·
Registered
452 Posts
ceeken2000 said:
If you are going fast...and im sure if you were powerwheeling it, you were over 30-40 mph and you put it into neutral you need to slow down before putting it into gear. I don't know why that is, i'd imagine you're just going too fast for the gears to slide in easy. This has happened to my bike. just simply slow down and then put it into second. If you force it you will hear a loud "clunk".
Wouldn't blipping the throttle work too?

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
04StreetGSXR said:
ok well i was practicing some more wheelies and when i came back down the front end got a little wobbly, i had control and didnt freak out, but i noticed i was in neutral and figured i hit it out of first going up or coming down. well anyways i tried to put it in second, all i heard was like a grinding noise like when you miss a gear in a car, did the same when i tried to put it into first, finally it went into gear. is this a known occurance, or what please ease my mind. its still a brand new bike.
You have to match engine speed to road speed, you have to rev the motor to get it to slide into gear easier.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I been trying every other weekend to do a wheelie. I do about a couple per session, out of say 20 tries. All this time what I've been doing is clutching it up in first from a rolling start. However this last time out, I actually got it up sorta doing the power thing. I get my bike up to about 7k, then leggo of the throttle, and then punch it, time it just right and pull up on the bars.

·
Registered
84 Posts
sweet! i can get that sucker to power wheelie all day, every try. I just have a problem getting all the way up to BP now.. if i did get it up there i'd be at some serious rpm and would probably set it back down anyways. sure looks cool to pop a phat wheelie coming off the light when there is a bunch of traffic on the other side of the road =)
now i gotta learn clutching up reliably... yikes!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
well guys, i read all the pages and i tihnk im ready to go out in the country and try to do some power wheelies! wish me luck! i will be back on later tonight ( if im still alive lol) to tell my experiences!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wheelie 600

I have a stock 93 600 and pull wheelies all the time. I learned on dirtbikes and than i practiced on my bike, only took about 2 trys. Now I want to learn to keep up the wheel and shift into 2nd.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
well guys i went out and when it actually came time to try to do some wheelies, i was too afraid :infrandom im not afraid of gettting the wheel up, im just afraid of ruining the bike if i have to lay it down!

·
Registered
169 Posts
wow, i must really suck at doing wheelies... I cant power them up in first nor can i clutch it in second and im pretty sure im doin what all the posts said... The highest ive gotten it up was pry around 4-5 inches.... Can some one PM me some better suggestions. or email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
372 Posts
mr_gsxr750 said:
well guys i went out and when it actually came time to try to do some wheelies, i was too afraid :infrandom im not afraid of gettting the wheel up, im just afraid of ruining the bike if i have to lay it down!
fear is what makes you try harder and keeps you somewhat sane...also it keeps you in your limits....if there was no fear i wouldnt be on a bike...just remember to stay in your limits and take baby steps

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
sacgsxr said:
fear is what makes you try harder and keeps you somewhat sane...also it keeps you in your limits....if there was no fear i wouldnt be on a bike...just remember to stay in your limits and take baby steps
well i dont think it will be much longer, because about 1 week ago, i never revved it past 7K rpms and now when im on the back roads i go right to 12K. so i think its just that right now i dont feel confident enough to try but its only a matter of time in my mind!

·
Registered
452 Posts
usvortec said:
I have a stock 93 600 and pull wheelies all the time. I learned on dirtbikes and than i practiced on my bike, only took about 2 trys. Now I want to learn to keep up the wheel and shift into 2nd.

Bro...I have a 92 750 (see my avatar). Your bike has got to be about as heavy as mine right? Those old bastards are rocks man! Post some pics of that baby.

·
Registered
84 Posts
mr_gsxr750 said:
is it also possible to do a power wheelie in second? or is it only with the clutch that you can bring it up in second?
since i started doing wheelies from the info here..
i havn't been able to get it up in second. i figured out i can do the "let off" at about 5k rpm (alot less than i thought before)and then smack it open. the bike will lift up quite a bit higher than 4-5 inches... especially if you keep your body loose and ready to come back a bit without moving around. seems like after you get the point of where to start the power wheelie... its only a matter of learning to let it come up by adjusting your body to get used to the experience. i find myself pushing down on the bike now to put it down. sit your ass way back on the seat and losen up on the arms.. juke the throttle and dont move your body accept for leaning back when the bike comes up in 1st gear. you wont flip it.. you'll only be doin 50 when the wheel comes back down and the engine breaking will save you from anything but a short run way or a car crossing your path. an easy power wheelie isn't really scary, it just sounds like the bike is going to come up way easy and flip over. if you are somewhat reserved you aren't flipping anything and a desert road with lots of stop signs is your new best friend :lol: and remember, the second you push the front end down, it comes down, and everything is OK again.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
cakemonster said:
since i started doing wheelies from the info here..
i havn't been able to get it up in second. i figured out i can do the "let off" at about 5k rpm (alot less than i thought before)and then smack it open. the bike will lift up quite a bit higher than 4-5 inches... especially if you keep your body loose and ready to come back a bit without moving around. seems like after you get the point of where to start the power wheelie... its only a matter of learning to let it come up by adjusting your body to get used to the experience. i find myself pushing down on the bike now to put it down. sit your ass way back on the seat and losen up on the arms.. juke the throttle and dont move your body accept for leaning back when the bike comes up in 1st gear. you wont flip it.. you'll only be doin 50 when the wheel comes back down and the engine breaking will save you from anything but a short run way or a car crossing your path. an easy power wheelie isn't really scary, it just sounds like the bike is going to come up way easy and flip over. if you are somewhat reserved you aren't flipping anything and a desert road with lots of stop signs is your new best friend :lol: and remember, the second you push the front end down, it comes down, and everything is OK again.
Thats on a 99 600. Dont get any ideas of trying that on a '01 1K. That sum bitch will flip right over before you can even think about letting off the gas and grabbin the rear brake.

41 - 60 of 245 Posts