Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

121 - 140 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I lost a friend early this Spring from a wreck as a result of a wheelie gone bad.

Quickly, back country road. 4th gear stand up 12 o'clock at around 100 + Mph. No cars, trucks kids or cattle around. Road takes a very slight left curve. Brings her down. Tire blows. Bike hits the end of a driveway. Rider ejected into the end of the next drive way 90 ft. away. Killed Instantly.

Now he'd performed this dozens of times and was a highly experienced rider. He wore full gear everytime he rode.

Bottom line. I think you know. :headshake

·
Registered
60 Posts
Old Heavy Gixxer

I Really Think That The Only Way Your Going To Be Able To Get That Bike Up Is To Become Good Friends With The Clutch. Speaking From Experience, I Had An Older Zx7r And It Was Soooo Heavy. The Only Way I Was Able To Get That Bike Up Was Flickin The Clutch At The Right Rpms. Not As Hard On The Bike As You Might Think.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was able to carry the front wheel on my '02 Kat 750 right through til the limiter kicks in.
No big job really. Just bounce the front wheel at around 5500 rpm and hit the throttle and up she came. NO CLUTCH!.
Just about vertical. As I would get into the revs. Clicinto second and just keep playing with the throttle.
It also helps to keep the tire pressure down a bit. But really it's all about that initial bounce. On the Kat that is.

The first few times having a 500lb bike up that high (4-4 1/2 ft.) is scary though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I lost a friend early this Spring from a wreck as a result of a wheelie gone bad.

Quickly, back country road. 4th gear stand up 12 o'clock at around 100 + Mph. No cars, trucks kids or cattle around. Road takes a very slight left curve. Brings her down. Tire blows. Bike hits the end of a driveway. Rider ejected into the end of the next drive way 90 ft. away. Killed Instantly.

Now he'd performed this dozens of times and was a highly experienced rider. He wore full gear everytime he rode.

Bottom line. I think you know. :headshake
Well As a stunner i would say its not real wise to scrape sub while doing 100mph. Infact its not reccomended even at 30 mph. 12in is only for slow stuff. i hope he accidentally did this.

·
Registered
404 Posts
tonight was the first night i tried wheelies and i found that doing power wheelies seem to be smoother and more predictable if i stand

my size makes it hard to get weight on the rear (5'4" 145lbs), plus the bike is set to full soft for now.. i am stunting sunday and i will change it to full hard and try again

thanks for the info on how to do it... great post

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your body weight plays a big part i got a gixxa600 2000modeli weigh 91kg and cant get it up (the bike) without clutch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
check this out.......

guys check this out.....i know that u guys may not like this guy...but he knows wat he is saying....and babies the hell out of it....but listen wat he has to say....and do as he says....and u will be one wheeling........use this link to the vid...... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6656191590638402466&hl=en :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
i also have an 03 600..... and just pullin back on the throttle wont do it.... ive had the best luck with what we call choping the throttle..... rev'n to about 6.5k-7k roll off for a sec.... then slamming it back all the way..... this works great on my bike, and on my buddy 07 R6..... i can imagine this prob isnt the best thing for the bike.... but hey- it works

·
Registered
468 Posts
DONT DO WHEELIES!! THEY ARE BAD TO YOUR HEALTH AND TO YOUR POCKETBOOK!!!! Before anyone says, I could rock stand-ups for miles, yeah so could I, but everyone goes down sooner or later...EVERYONE....yes even you!!...LOL....but for real, just be safe, wear your gear (if u want), and ride your ride....:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
yea like your buddy said make sure you aren't riding the tank..that was my problem at first. try to sit back as far as you can on your seat. And it doesn't sound like you are getting up at all...you'll know as soon as you get it up. Also when you are taking it to 8-9K are you letting off the throttle before you gun it? you need to do that and feel the front end of the bike drop down right before you open it up. You will know exactly what im talking about when it happens. Im not sure how big your bike is and year...but mine is 01 600 and i take it up to 9-10K let off the throttle till the front drops (takes only a half a sec.) then open. and it'll pop up like nothing. good luck. also have someone video tape you doing it. that is the best way to get a feel for how high you are.
I had a lot of trouble with preloading so when I want to just mess around, I drop the setting on my forks so it is a lot softer. I wack the throttle once, let it preload, and then wack it again. Come's right up........to bad I'm a big poonanee and can't get to BP.:lol:

·
Registered
289 Posts
anyone got any tips on stand-up wheelies? I'm able to ride sit downs pritty easy, but I just can't work out how to do a stand-up wheelie :hmmm:

would be much appreciated

121 - 140 of 245 Posts