Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,I'am new on the block.I need a little help.I have a (04 750).I want to try to hold the wheel up a little longer,but everytime I crank the throttle,sometimes she comes a little and sometimes she just blast right up.I have no problem getting it up.Its controlling the height when I crank it.It feels good when it gets up high,but at the same time,it scares the crap of me.It just feels like I'am going to loop it and thats why when I get her up high,I slam the throttle shut and down she comes.Maybe its fear.I know it has alot to do with it...any advice..

·
Registered
372 Posts
fear will keep you shinny side up, but it will call come in time, just play the throttle try keepin the wheel up but not so high till your used to it, then worry about height

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm guessing it's first gear pow pow powerwheelies? while first gear comes up really easy it's real twitchy and hard to control. 2nd gear takes a bit more effort, but it's worth it, just clutch it up and once you're up it's SO much smoother, you have a lot more room to mess around with the throttle and it's a ton easier to control the height.
The big thing though, COVER THE BRAKE! It will save you if you start to go over the back. You gotta get in the habit of using it though, so everytime you do a wheelie, bring it down with the brake, whether or not you could just chop the throttle so bring it down use the brake so your brain gets used to it being there so you can automatically use it when you need to.

1st gear isn't nice for learning balance point, once you get it real high you start slamming it down a lot and it comes down HARD, I cracked my frame before I figured out that 2nd was better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You say 2nd gear is a little better to bring her up.I know it takes a little more effort,but how fast and what rpms I have to get to to bring her up in 2nd.I've only used 1st gear power alone.Can you power it up in 2nd or do you have to used the clucth.Just curious,how long did it take for you guys to learn a basic wheelie.(not a 2 mile wheelie)but more like a 2 car length wheelie.Thats what I want to get to.The 2 mile one,will come later.......Thanks 4 your help..........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Letsride -- I have a 600, but here is how I do it on mine. Get up to about 6 to 8K RPMS (stand up shortly before you get there) close the throttle while bouncing on the foot pegs and when you feel the bike starting to rebound (which will be very soon) open the throttle again and lean back. You have to get your weight over the back tire otherwise nothing will happen. In other words do not put any weight on your bars just have your hands on them. It should actually be much easier on your bike...like I said I only have a 600 plus I am 6'4 230 lbs and mine comes up easy. Good luck.

Also, there are plenty of threads on how to do wheelies...just use the search function :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Yeah definatly use second gear, its WAY smoother. You can either clutch up sit downs in second or bounce up stand ups on a 750. On my 1k I can power up 1st and 2nd gear sitting, but Ive ridden 750's and have to clutch up second gear. Most of the time on my 1k I clutch up 2nd just to get the wheel up quickly and then its real smooth. With time and practice you will learn to clutch up 2nd, and that way the wheel comes up quickly and you dont have to accelerate much, and then you will be able to ride nice long smooth wheelies. Practice, practice, practice. :thumbup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Are u guys forgetting he said he's not comfortable with ridin em out yet, is chopping as soon as he gets it up and isn't comfortable with clutching yet??? Do you really think telling him to skip first and start learning stand-up wheelies in 2nd, knowing that u have 2 b rollin around 60mph and above to pow pow in that gear is good advice????? Stick with 1st and pow pows for now buddy, until u get used to keepin the wheel up for a little bit, believe me all these guys that are giving u advice learned 2 wheelie in 1st and I'd b willing 2 bet that they all started with pow pows too. Wheelies as with any other stunt are all about progression, start out small and work your way up, once u feel comfortable with the wheel coming up in 1st then move on to trying to ride em out, once you can ride em out its natural progression to want to start clutchin so you can get em up sooner and ride em out longer after you've got that down then start tryin to pull up 2nd, when your ridin out 2nd then start poppin standups and find u some bp. The best advice I can give ya is find a nice secluded spot, a big abandoned parking lot, industrial park, old airstrip, whatever, something with no chance off traffic and plenty of room on both sides, you'll learn more somewhere like that in 1 day than u will in a week off rollin on public roads. U have the wheel comin up consistently, thats a good start, now instead of chopping just start lettin off the throttle a little less each time until your ridin out, the fear will gradually deteriorate with time and practice. Z posted a really good sticky on pow pows in the stunt section its called wheelie 101, give it a read. keep ya gear on and ride safe. Good luck!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys,thanks for the advice.I will give that clutching up in 2nd a try,to see how it feels and then take it from there.I know the bottom line is (PRACTICE).Its just I get so pumped up and excited when I see a rider just cruising,and then all of a sudden..BAM..the wheel is in the air.Oh yeah,can't forget when I'am ridin around in the city streets (B-More) I know you guys get this too.The young boys be waving their hands in the air shouting... PULL it UP...PULL IT UP..Now this is when it get serious.When I'am at a red light, a car pulls up next to me with a little kid and his mom.The kid looks over at me and says...Mr. can you do a wheelie for me...aahhh man, that just does it....dammmm!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Sarasotagsxr...Thanks 4 the advice..your right on point.Don't get me wrong, 2nd gear is probably better to control when its coming up,but to do that you will have to used the clutch or power alone with a little boby english.While I'am learning thats just too much for me to think about in the mix when I'am trying to bring her up.Where as though power alone,I don't have to move or pull anything in.Its just roll on..roll off and then...SNAP.I know with practice I'll get it.I've came along way,because it was a time when I was scared to even get it in the air period.

·
Registered
228 Posts
here ya go

2nd gear 5-5500 rpm get rollin, cover brake be switched on,pull clutch in just past friction point rev to 8500-9000 rpm let it out quckly with obviously ya weight on the back seat. It'll pop up 2-3ft and don't let off the gas. Mines a k5 600 with the most loudest god damn exhaust and deafens my ears. Any way give it a go! practice makes perfect. good luck :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
just sold my 99 600,, after learning wheelies on that tank i should be slapping a 750 up to BP no problem, or should i go for a 1000? :lol: not sure yet, advice helps

·
Registered
228 Posts
I like to power wheelie first off the lights just to see the peoples faces comin the other way. I don't bother tryin to hold it up at bp for long. 2nd's heaps better. :thumbup:

·
Registered
228 Posts
yeh

practice and body possy. I'm not beatin round the bush here. 2nd gear needs to be round 7000rpm close throttle to six with a quick snap or jus popcorns. I fluked my 1st round a roundabout but I know I hit it cleanly on the rebound,bouncin it of course. Damn I love ridin that bike but the next one is da 1k. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.