Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you drop clutch fully? Or "slip" into friction zone? I've been fully pulling and releasing for my wheelies
It works but if it's destructive / incorrect please explain the best you can in what I should be doing

YouTube just says pull clutch rev, release clutch. So I dump it. So if it's incorrect let me know. I'd like to learn correctly to minimalist the damage to clutch

·
Registered
166 Posts
Red line that bad boy and drop it like it just said something about your mum, might need one of these as well just incase you hit balance point to quickly

·
Registered
537 Posts
It all depends. Slower you are going more clutch (and clutch control) you will need. For normal second gear seater or standers; Roll on, then off with bounce, and blip the clutch then gas it up. Hard to explain in words but to simplify I do not pull the clutch all the way in.

If you were to pull the clutch just until it doesn't grab anymore, thats where i'm at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_U9M92MglU

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I will be trying it in a few days. ): been busy and weathers been bad. I think not pulling All the way it will be better on bike

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You know, flip flops and everything.
I ride with helmet, jacket and boots jeans. I don't wear Kevlar jeans or anything not too concerned.

I have my power wheelies down, can ride 1st gear pretty long any at speed, up til 60 mph.
2nd gear I popped a power wheelie at 100mph, rode it to balance point. First time but it just floated up,
Power wheelies are too easy on my 750.

But I want to learn clutch til muscle memory because I hear they are safer (don't get me wrong, I feel perfectly safe on powers) since it how I've learned but clutch will prob do better for high speed wheelies. I dislike having to hit 9-10k rpm in 2nd to get it up

Clutch wheelies I do in 2nd gear, have popped them inconsistently but can ride them when I get them up. But was concerned on learning proper clutch usage before I did too many so I don't learn to clutch incorrectly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a gopro yesterday, I havn't been on my bike in over a week.. Dad passed away and I would of gone nuts on the bike. Went out last night for about 10 minutes and tested out my new toy. Heres small video i took from the ride. One power wheelie, and one clutch up. Wasn't doing much but screwing around.

After my dads funeral today, I will be riding this week. Just been stressed and not up to riding really. but, here i made a small video, photobucket made it pixelated D: but hey it works.

I am alternating between one finger and two on clutch ups, im not sure which I prefer. the video I slipped the clutch, just ever so lightly, works like a charm.

http://vid33.photobucket.com/albums/d97/djwiggins2/Bike/power clutch combo_zps55lywja1.mp4

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Balance point will be next... any tips? I can power and clutch up, but getting to that balance point is purely accidental when I have done it.

Semi afraid. lol., other than cover rear brake? clutch harder/bring up faster to that point? how is it supposed to feel, and do's and donts guys?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do I get higher? I can ride these for awhile. Should I start standing or sitting back further? I can clutch wheelies easy now. It's so easy, I was way over complicating it, I use one finger and just slip a little, bam she's up.

Today.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, I will take your advice and push myself this week.

When do I know I'm too far? Like oh shit. Brake brake. My fear is I won't recognize before it's too late.

Think standing will help me get to balance point/controllably.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm assuming balance point is where forks are parallels to the ground you think? So I'm about a foot away. (Thinking)

Also.. Since I've been doing tons of wheelies clutched etc learning. Should I change my oil? I mean now I know how but I am not sure if my trial and errors dirtied my oil. I did it 700 miles ago, thinking of changing it in 300 miles with fresh oil since now I know how to wheelie and won't destroy the clutch further. It's taken some abuse lol. :/ hope I didn't damage it much. Only 3k on bike now.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
You gotta remember these are bikes made for racing pretty much and can take a bit of abuse. Not saying you shouldnt treat your bike like your baby, but you can give her hell and not expect to break stuff. Also with the balance point you will know once you reach it, its hard to explain but the bike seems to just sit there with throttle control of course but its not like your chasing the front wheel like most people first trying to wheelie. Ride safe and gear up :bounce.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New tires, tightened chain (man it got loose) but its been 3k miles. cleaning chain tomorrow, changing oil. few odd things, I am curious to see how the oil is going to look after like 500 wheelies. >.>

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I stopped "actively" practicing wheelies, and just pop them a couple times a day. I do them automatically now, from 15-70mph or so, I still dont hit balance point yet. I just learned wheelies 2 weeks ago. So my buddies I ride with just say just do them overtime and the balance point will come. I feel better now that I am not dogging my clutch all day like I was doing for that long period of time. lol

Quite happy now, I ride them at about 10 o clock for awhile. I think i'll hit the 11-12 this summer. Focusing on twisties now, my first track day in two weeks. woot woot.

Thanks for all the advice in this thread, I will come back and post if I ever hit balance point and maybe make a video when time comes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Balance point wheelies achieved. I was just riding how I normally do, longer and longer. I rode with my friends and they critiqued me, said lean back I was leaning up to bike. Now I just kind of free fall back, and it just floats there. Good feeling and to be honest, not even scarey. Never used that rear brake, and I hope I never need too, due to im not trained for it lol. I just lean back and gas mid wheelie and goes right to BP.

2 months from no wheelies to balance point. I am pretty happy. Will get a video sometime. I do sit down balance point wheelies, will try and do stand ups next.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Am I literally the only person that cannot wheelie?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts