Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i've been trying wheelies for a few weeks now and feeling more n more comfortable as i go....question is how long before you guys started standing up instead of sit-downs?

just curious...i'm gonna start using the clutch up method and wanna be able to just stand up, pop it, and go...any advice on how to get started? is it scarier than sitting down?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
as soon as you get comfortable with the feeling of the wheel coming up for sitdowns I'd start to try stand ups. Any way you do them they feel weird at first, but you get used to it and it comes up so much easier.
I'd learn them staggered too, right foot covering the brake, left foot on the left rear passenger peg.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more 411 on the bounce method please...i was gonna try clutching them up while already standing, not clutching it up, THEN standing :hmmm:

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah man its easier to stand up than the sit downs i bounce it up cause i know how far it will go up but if you clutch it then you really dont know how far back it will go. so try to bounce it at first. stand up first and then bouse it and give it gas. it will come up nice. try it on first gear at like 6000 rpm well thats what it comes up on my 600 it might be diffrent with yours but try to bounce it first before you clutch it :arsenal :arsenal

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so like how i already do it but stand first....right now on my sit-downs i take her up to 6-7K, let off the gas, then gas her on the rebound and she comes right up every time

i'll give it a shot in the next week or so

·
Registered
249 Posts
easiest way i learned was on my old 600. Left foot on passenger peg, right foot covering brake,stand up,bounce front end,on the rebound up give it gas(start with small twist at first so you don't wipe the pavement with your butt!),lean back as you give it gas. There you go instant stand up! You can do this in just about any gear. The higher the gear, the lower the revs so you don't hit the rev limiter so fast. You can ride these until you run out of road. cook at 350 degreesF for about 30min, best enjoyed when shared with friends

·
Registered
317 Posts
Everyone else pretty much hit it on the head. Just remember to stand UP, natural instinct will be to lean forward some and look down to see how high you are. If you keep your head up and look out in front where you are going you will find it requires less throttle to hold the wheelie. Personally I like 2nd gear cause it doesn't come down as hard and it doesn't come back as fast.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Play with the power in second. You should be able to go around 50-60 mph, rip the throttle all the way open and raise the front tire off the ground. Once you get it coming up like that then start standing on the pegs, loading the suspension by pushing down on the grips then throttle and pull straight up. It will take a while but you should learn them fairly quickly.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
havent tried the standups yet due to the weather but my sitdowns are getting more n more comfy/longer..thanks for the tips guys....i like the bounce/power up method, works the best for me...consistant every time

·
Registered
10 Posts
ZGixxeR said:
rip the throttle all the way open and raise the front tire off the ground.

hell naw do not rip the throttle all the way that will just bust your but just go about half way and it comes up to much just lay off but do not do it all the way this guy is an idiot

·
Registered
42 Posts
well i think i have mastered the art of th stand up, i always stand up before i pull up the bike, just stand up then as you bounce down give it some juice. i do it this way all the time, when you get going fast like 90 or 100 i dont think is possible to get it up with out standin and bouncin it, its hot if you learn to do standups at speeds under 10 mph, just becarefull so the bike doesnt go sideways, it would be embarassing to tell your friends you droped your bike at like 5 mph, well have fun hopefully this helped!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shit i dont even think i can pull it up under 20mph hahaha

after 20 i can just gas'er and she eases right up

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
i ride an 03 600, but have ridden my buddies 04

Second gear CAN be clutched sitdown.
Second gear sitdowns to make it easier to get it at low speeds i actually standup and bounce on it and sitdown and clutch it up all at the same time. i lift it at 45 or so then and ride it out at 50-55 forever.
Second gear about 50 mph for standup you jsut close the throttle and whack it back open and pull a bit. If you throttle chop and bounce you can have it up before you hit 60 and ride it there.

Thired gear at about 70-75 I clutch and bounce and am straight up before 80 MPH and ride it forever.

As to your question, I rode sitdowns for a long time before standups. I had sitdowns in second down to where I could ride them for miles.

Then one day we were riding some back roads at about 70MPH (my second gears were at about 55 or so) so I couldnt do any wheelies. My friends were all riding standups. So at 75 i tried to throttle chop and yank on it standup (keep in mind I had NEVER done a standup and only tried a handfull of times and didnt like it) It came up a few inches. So I tried to clutch it only and it came up about 3 feet and I then KNEW it was possible. I tried clutch AND bounce and my first standup was about 1/4 mile. The next day I was over a mile on them with ease.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmmmm, i just cant get comfortable clutching them, even tho i know it makes for easier wheelies because thge speed can be lower...it gets all jerky on me and feels like it wants to throw me off (ESPECIALLY if i stand up)

·
Registered
42 Posts
thats ok you odnt ned to clutch it. i only do when i need to get the bike up quick (aka hot chick around) or to impress my friends because most of them cant. but mostly i just give it some juice and bounce when needed.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'll be trying it some time soon....my sitdowns are getting more n more comfortable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
once u start stand ups dont forget about the sit downs... Go for soem BP sit downs... the ballance point is way higher than stand ups and no one rocks out long a$$ sit downs any more, especially on the high way

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rwmaximus1k said:
once u start stand ups dont forget about the sit downs... Go for soem BP sit downs... the ballance point is way higher than stand ups and no one rocks out long a$$ sit downs any more, especially on the high way
Thats because ur bp sitdowns u cant really see in front of you unless ur looking threw ur forks or out the side.

My advice to you usdm is get very very comfy with sit downs first then when u think ur ready just say #uck it and do it. But wear all ur gear 1st.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.