Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know where to get some of these in chrome or have the plastic ones done in chrome. I just googled a plastic chroming place and they wanted 400 bucks EACH to chrome them. F THAT! So does anybody know anything about it? I've seen a couple chromed and with it in between the painted pieces it looks sick!

·
Registered
21 Posts
chroming is an electroplating process that can only be done to a metalic surface but you can take your plastics to a local auto body paint shop and have them paint them "chrome"

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chroming is an electroplating process that can only be done to a metalic surface but you can take your plastics to a local auto body paint shop and have them paint them "chrome"
Ive read that you can chrome plastic. google it.

But I do understand what your saying

·
Registered
21 Posts
when you do it to any material other than metal its called "metalizing" but its just a technicality that doesnt really matter. id imagine that having them painted would be cheaper than going that route

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when you do it to any material other than metal its called "metalizing" but its just a technicality that doesnt really matter. id imagine that having them painted would be cheaper than going that route
yeah but does chrome painting look as good? I could rattle can it if I wanted a shitty chrome look. Im just trying to avoid that.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Chrome paint looks very good.

go to http://www.alsacorp.com/ and order their KillerChrome kit, that should be enough to spray them yourself and its about $180 if I remember correctly. I order a kit at my work for a project we had to do and I was very satisfied.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Here's some info I found. The process is as follows:

1. The part is taken down to the bare plastic.
2. Any breaks or cracks are repaired.
3. The part is impregnated with silver so it will conduct electricity.
4. Then it is built up with copper, sanded and buffed.
5. A nickel-cobalt plating alloy for corrosion resistance is applied.
6. The final stage is the chrome plating.

The info I found from a year ago says that Paul’s Chrome Plating (800)245-8679 is supposed to do it. I'm sure they get a lot of calls about it so maybe if they don't do it they know who does. Good luck!

EDIT: Damn 6K6 nice find!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chrome paint looks very good.

go to http://www.alsacorp.com/ and order their KillerChrome kit, that should be enough to spray them yourself and its about $180 if I remember correctly. I order a kit at my work for a project we had to do and I was very satisfied.
Do you have pics of the stuff you did? Is it any different from the cheap rattle can chrome paint I can get at the auto parts store? I dont want a cheap look.. I called and they say its Different but anybody would lie to make money

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm not a huge chrome guy either, I'm tryingt to get all the chrome off my bike. But I work at a Cadillac dealership and work with the guys in the body shop. Go ahead and get yourself some chrome tape, it looks great when done right which isnt hard at all bro. Cadillac uses it on their rim center caps and grills and a guy wouldnt ever even know. So look into getting some of that tape and taking your time when putting it on.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Do you have pics of the stuff you did? Is it any different from the cheap rattle can chrome paint I can get at the auto parts store? I dont want a cheap look.. I called and they say its Different but anybody would lie to make money
Unfortunately I don't have any pics as I had to give the product to the customer before I could snap any. It's definitely a big difference between the usual crappy rattle can chrome and this. This actually comes with 3 different spray cans (multi-step process) and the results look exactly like the R1 bike someone posted earlier, the R1 was done using the same paint (except not in rattle-can form).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's a place that does all that chroming your looking for and great prices!! But I see you got it done looks great!!! But if you ever need anymore or know someone tell them to take a look at this site http://www.a1motor-sports.com/sportbikes.htm My friend sent them stuff to chrome and wow nice! Well just wanted to let you all know.. Anyways your bike is sick! ~~~Very Cool~~~~
I havent got it done, that is a pic I found. I have found a place that sells them but way high priced...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts