Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always use the highest I can on my bikes but a few of my friends tell me that 87 octane is fine and I am just wasting my money on anything higher. Are they just cheap or am I wasting my money? I have a 2002 GSXR 600 and a 2003 Yamaha 1100 V-Star. Let me know what you think!

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The octane rating is defined the resistance to detonation. The main factor in deciding what octane is safe to run is determined by the commpresion ratio of your engine.If it is 9:1 or lower 87 octane should be fine, but anything higher than that and i would definitley run 92/93.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I run 87 on my 600. I belive manufacturers suggestion is 86 min. Running anything higher than what the manufacturer suggests is wasting money unless you have internal engine mods done that may make the bike suseptible to detonation.

octane does nothing for power. Race fuels are usualy high octane, but the power gaining factor in them is that they are leaded and oxygenated. Not the octane. Some race fuels are low octan.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Motojoe_23 said:
I run 87 on my 600. I belive manufacturers suggestion is 86 min. Running anything higher than what the manufacturer suggests is wasting money unless you have internal engine mods done that may make the bike suseptible to detonation.

octane does nothing for power. Race fuels are usualy high octane, but the power gaining factor in them is that they are leaded and oxygenated. Not the octane. Some race fuels are low octan.
Manufaturers stickers say run 91 octane, but you want to run the lowest octane you can without pinging.

VP's most horsepower producing fuel is like a 92 octane which is the lowest they make.

·
Registered
282 Posts
use the highest octane (in pumpgas that is) and go to BP if u got one local near you. They add chemicals to there gas to kill off water and other crap. I did research when i was in school on gas stations and they were the only one who did it. They add some kind of crap i forget the name. It'll be healthier for your bike

·
Registered
3 Posts
if you run anything higher than 87, you should go to an gas staion with seperate pumps for each octane, the guy before you could have pumped 87 and the line is still full, so now your getting a half gallon or so of 87 for the price of 93. not a big difference for cars, but for us bikes thats 1/8th of our tank.

·
Retired Mod
6,899 Posts
well what i meant was as for cars.. 10 up is high compression, and pretty much all cars with a compression of 10 or higher needs the highest pump octane

oh a bike....i know pretty much you won't see a bike iwht 12 or lower which is fucking high compared to cars. Like i said, i have a 02 600, but on the tank it says 87 required...

hmmmm :headscrat

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
i use 91 all the time, and even throw in NOS octane booster 3-4 times a month........gotta love flames outta the yosh :thumbup:

·
Registered
367 Posts
What is the stock, compretion for a gixxer 600 ? one books says like 11.? to 1 and the sevice manual i downloaded said 12to1, so what is corect, and yes 87 is the lowest and if you have some good mods you should go up in the octain and maybe check what plugs you should run hot cold ex

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I know my 2000 750 and my 1000 both had stickers on them saying to use 91 octane or higher.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You should always use the lowest octane you can without pinging. I agree with Ski (althought I've never read anything from him that I disagree with) in saying that Suzuki recommends 91 for the GSXR. Running a higher octane than required can actually be damaging to your engine, and doesn't provide any real benefit. If you want to know the details, I can try to explain.

PS, I've also heard BP is the best place to buy gas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.