Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not opening the throttle all the way is NOTHING like having a smaller bike. A liter bike at 3-4K RPM makes more torque than a 600 does at peak. Also, the weight and handling is different.

Same thing for a car versus a motorcycle, they’re entirely different things. You have a lot more forgiveness in a car. But, learning how to ride fast on a 600 is going to be easier, because it’s more forgiving. Put-putting around the track getting lapped by 300s doesn’t mean that the 1000cc was suddenly a good idea.
True, the weight and handling of every motorcycle is different. A 1000k3 weighs 443 LBs wet while a 600k3 weighs 423 Lbs.

I really doubt a 1000k3 is making 65 torque at 3500 rpm at full throttle but you might be right. Either way, you don't have to have the throttle full open. You can easily modulate anyone where 0 torque to max torque or anywhere in between with buttery smoothness. I cannot fathom how that concept is so hard to get over. I think maybe older guys who are used to carb'd bikes with crazy peaky power curves are still applying that logic to much smoother machines, but it just doesn't apply.

All that said, I would recommend to anyone to "start out" on a smaller bike, sure why not. But nothing wrong at all with going to a track day on your liter bike it shouldn't hold you back.

But to each their own, no problem with me if you prefer to recommend to others and for yourself to use a bike with less power at the track.

When power delivery is this smooth it doesn't matter if you have more than what you'll use that day. And I'm not putting around the track getting passed by 300s, not that it would matter. I'm not racing anyone out there.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I never did switch over-yet.

All this being said, I still need to switch it over to GP/reverse shifting this winter, before my first ride this spring.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, I had to wake this thread back up!

Finally switched it to GP shifting today! I was going on a group ride today, 5 minutes before I left my home- I remembered I wanted to try GP shift style.
Got my handy 8mm wrench, flipped the clamp on the shifter shaft, viola!

Before I left, I also put a message on some masking tape on my upper triple also to help remind me about it.
I also put the wrench in my pocket, so I could quickly switch it back if it wasn't going well, etc.

The ride was with a big group, and although we did some of the same twisties out of town I often do, we were going SLOW- which probably helped not downshifting near redline anyways.

The downshifting (now pulling up on the lever) was very comfortable. I was enjoying upshifting/tapping the lever too. Shifting clutchless was smooth upshifting too/ as was a few of the downshifts I tried today also clutchless.

I'm going to stick with this and get more used to it.

I'm going to use some of that erasable felt tip to write a note to myself on the side of the faceshield next time too.

Thanks for all the previous feedback as well earlier in the thread.

All in all- I really like it.

·
Super Moderator
9,139 Posts
My gp shifting screw ups have always been at point where I would not be looking at notes, like setting up a pass out of a corner. Just muscle memory at that point and it screws up at times.

I still ride the sumos and dual sport a lot with standard shift so going to the gsxr always takes a bit of remembering but it's worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
My gp shifting screw ups have always been at point where I would not be looking at notes, like setting up a pass out of a corner. Just muscle memory at that point and it screws up at times.

I still ride the sumos and dual sport a lot with standard shift so going to the gsxr always takes a bit of remembering but it's worth the effort.
It usually hit me when Im exiting a corner and going almost full throttle into a straightaway. :0001136745-facepalm then I downshift and rev to the moon :lol: Thats when I get the epiphany that I messed up. :smile
So regular works ok for me that and riding on the balls of my feet not flatfooted narrows down the foot scraping to a bare minimum.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Super Moderator
9,139 Posts
It usually hit me when Im exiting a corner and going almost full throttle into a straightaway. :0001136745-facepalm then I downshift and rev to the moon :lol: Thats when I get the epiphany that I messed up. :smile
Exactly!

Early last year I was coming out of T17 at VIR North and was well positioned and had good speed on the guy in front. I went to pass him as the bikes stood up and promptly went to 2nd :0

That will kill a pass.

·
Super Moderator
5,163 Posts
Every bike i own is GP shift from a 2017 Honda Grom to the 2017 GSXR 2012 S1000RR race bike K71K race bike, I have had it so long it is difficult to ride a bike with conventional shifting. I will never go back I always thought it made more sense to do one up and the rest down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Had tried it for a summer back when I had my Suzuki RF900. Must say I agree that once you try it, it does feel more normal’. But I use to get myself in trouble whenever I was in a high stress situation and muscle memory took over! I would subconsciously resort back to the conventional way. I decided to switch back and stop fighting what had become second nature after all these years BEFORE I got myself in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Every bike i own is GP shift from a 2017 Honda Grom to the 2017 GSXR 2012 S1000RR race bike K71K race bike, I have had it so long it is difficult to ride a bike with conventional shifting. I will never go back I always thought it made more sense to do one up and the rest down.
Without knowing for sure if somehow it's mechanically not possible,
Why isn't it just 6 down, or 6 up, with neutral at the end of 1st gear?

Thinking back Many years, before many were Daddy's little squirt-
without googling it either-
It seems the first things I rode around 7 or 8 years old that had gears were the mini trail 50, and Trail 70, etc. I thought I remember WAY back then, they were 3 down and 4 down respectively? :0001136745-huh:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks Blkout,
I know I've seen that one before- short and very informative about the general function.
As he states, it could be below first, etc.
I personally would like it better there.

He also mentions mashing it down until you're in first at a stop, to let out the clutch when you're ready to go , etc.
I'm assuming that is the way most all people do it too.

I guess I'm the oddball again perhaps, b/c when coming to a stop- especially a stoplight- I ALWAYS kick it in to Neutral.
I think it saves some wear on the clutch plates?
I can also sit up, both hands off the bars for a few seconds, etc.

OK, back to GP shifting!

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,791 Posts
I'm not riding on the street much these days but I usually did go to neutral at a stop unless I wanted to make sure I could get away if someone was coming up behind.

·
Super Moderator
9,139 Posts
Same here. It is advised to keep it in gear in case you need to take quick action but I mostly go to neutral so I don't have to hold the lever back at a long light.

I can see that neutral at the end of the pattern could get exciting as you could go to neutral too easily. That would be exciting as you roll on the throttle in the corner.:0

·
Registered
924 Posts
Early Kawasaki two strokes (A1 A7 H1 H2) had neutral at the bottom of the pattern. I liked it because if you shifted down into neutral, it caused less upset than if you mistakenly shifted down into first, which can some times lock the back wheel and or over rev the motor when you release the clutch.

As for GP shifting, I worked in a Japanese motorcycle shop for about 7 years. Almost all bikes I rode were standard up for up. That's where my muscle memory is, and that's where my foot goes unless I'm actually thinking about the shift. I remember accelerating onto the freeway on a Norton Commando that shifted GP on the RIGHT foot, and then shifting from third, back to second! OOPs.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Back in the seventies-some of these whipper-snappers weren't even daddies little squirt yet; I road a few bikes that had reverse set up like that.
Looking back, I think that was even tougher than going between GP and conventional shift?

I watch my mirrors like a hawk and aware of what's coming up behind me, how fast, be it stopped at a light or while riding.

I'm looking forward to riding again with GP shift soon.
I'm definitely going to try and stay with it; however, 48+ years of shifting on the left/conventional is going to be tough to change when it's a 'memory' shift.
I like the challenge too though. They say (who says?) that learning tasks with your non-dominant hand, or things like riding a skateboard/wave board/snow board with your other foot in the back, etc. really helps the mind progress?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
A little f/u,
I stayed with the GP shifting thus far.

The other weekend at the Memorial Party (not the holiday, for a fallen friend) an acquaintance rode the hosts GSXR 750 around the neighborhood, and then asked to ride my bike.
I didn't want to disappoint him, so I agreed. He wasn't wearing a helmet or gear either.
So I'm close when he's taking off, and as you would on nearly any other bike, he clicked it down (for what was first), and starts to take off.
I immediately stop him, and say WAIT! I for got to tell you, it's GP shifting.
I got a blank stare so I quickly explained it to him, and off he went.

He comes back a few minutes later, smiling, and said 'DAMN TODD'!
He liked it and it's acceleration.

I'm happy that yesterday I took a short ride, and without even thinking about it, clicked it up for first gear!

I do like tapping it down to the next gear.
I also find it just as easy to pop it into neutral- like at a stoplight
Looks as though it's staying GP shift!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
OK, back to the reverse/GP shifting, LOL

I'm still loving this change!

I did catch myself once trying to pull up to 2nd gear while cruising, taking off in first gear! It's already in first!
only happened that once in many, many months.

If you've been considering this, I say go for it, and give it just a little time to get used to.

Just think of it this way, head down, push lever down. Head up, pull lever up. Works for me.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts