Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen a similar post but there was no update on the solution. With the kick stand down the bike would not start. It was in neutral but the light was not on. Gear position sensor was bad. I replaced it not the nuetral light works, but the bike still will not start with the kick stand on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Seen a similar post but there was no update on the solution. With the kick stand down the bike would not start. It was in neutral but the light was not on. Gear position sensor was bad. I replaced it not the neutral light works, but the bike still will not start with the kick stand on. Any ideas?
Not sure which model your're working on, but the typical GSXR setup is that the kickstand switch or gear position switch will ground the the starter interlock (relay) and energize the start button. The neutral LED also grounds through the gear position switch. So, that means the line from the relay to the GP switch is the problem, or the relay itself. The kickstand switch has a diode inside it for that ground leg, and my manual shows that the diode for the GP switch ground leg is inside the relay.

With the key off and bike in neutral, I would remove the relay and check for resistance from the socket for the GP switch to ground. Should be close to zero ohms. If it is, test the relay itself. You'll have to look at the wiring diagram for your bike and do some matching up for wire colors. What you're looking for is a near zero resistance in one direction and open circuit in the other direction. If the diode is bad, it'll read open in both directions and would explain everything.

Or, if you have a buddy with the same bike, swap relays and see if the problem follows the relay or the bike.

·
Registered
149 Posts
"The kickstand switch has a diode inside it for that ground leg"
Do you know what its purpose is? People almost always use a simple jumper when bypassing the kickstand switch, apparently without ill effects. My best guess is that it's there to dampen ringing of the interlock relay. My bypass has a 1N4004 diode. But it wouldn't surprise me if I was the only person on earth doing that.

"the bike still will not start with the kick stand on"
Is that up or down? Are both springs there and working OK? You could try jury-rigging a jumper in place of the switch. But for testing only.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I didn't re read the first post, but,

it IS in nuetral, right?

·
Registered
149 Posts
The only route to the ECM that I see is via the neutral signal from the GPS to the interlock relay. But it runs through a diode in the relay. Maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
337 Posts
mechanical switches experience bounce, does a diode supress some of that? never seen it used in that way but im certainly not an engineer. Funny thing is there are just as many side stand switches without diodes...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts