Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
2004 GSXR 600, 1992 GSXR 750, 1983 XN85 Turbo & some Euro bikes
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To follow up my previous post about the Orina mobile warming gloves I bought from FC Moto, I decided to order some dedicated wet/winter weather gear too.

The crazy thing is, even paying the shipping, it was more cost effective for me to order from them than to buy from any place stateside, including Amazon.

I ordered a set of Berik touring jacket & pants for less than an Alpinestar jacket. We’ll see how this goes. If it’s as smooth as the last one, it’ll be awesome

· Registered
485 Posts
You are getting stuff from Germany faster than me here in UK! You get stuff flown over the same day, I have some stuff I ordered last month that is stuck 'somewhere' at the border still waiting for a slow-boat to export.

Those electric gloves you bought are among the cheaper you can get, I might be inclined to try the same. Will go to a motorcycle gear store nearby and take a look there first.

I bought a set of leather trousers a while back which did not seem particularly 'hot' to wear when I wore them (it was cooling of, though) but are surprisingly warm now. Together with extra layers, the only winter issues I seem to suffer from are misting visors (is there ever a solution?) and cold hands.

I think I am complete at the point where it hits freezing, though, don't really feel an urge to take to the roads when they could be icy.

One tip I can offer, if you get stuck for cold hands (flat battery!! ;) ), if you ride so that you stretch your hands out flat, so only the finger tips are pointed into wind and resting fingers on the levers (gripping the throttle in the crook of your thumb only, and reduce the air hitting the back of your fingers directly) your hands will stay warmer for much longer. I find it's the air hitting the 'flat' parts of your body (including hands) that cool those bits down. I ride tucked as much as possible most of the time, I simply find it more comfortable, but this time of year makes a huge difference compared to if you let the air hit your chest straight on.

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, FC Moto is amazing. They use DHL who are also amazing.
Those electric gloves you bought are among the cheaper you can get, I might be inclined to try the same. Will go to a motorcycle gear store nearby and take a look there first.
They were the least expensive I could find, anywhere on the web, even with the shipping costs. None of the local shops around here (SF Bay Area) have much in the way of heated gloves. The kind you plug into your bike’s electrical, yes but not mobile warming gloves.

I have multiple bikes and I wanna be able to move freely between them without any dedicated plugs or what between me and a specific bike. I have any number of leather jackets and I do have a set of leather pants….but once the rain hits, leather only goes so far. The suit I ordered is an adventure touring suit, water proof and insulated.

Already got confirmation of shipping so I’m going to see it by Friday. If not….no biggie. We got plenty of rain forecast for the next 10 days.

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Looks like my suit isn’t gonna make it by tomorrow. Latest update from DHL says Tuesday. Which is fine. I’ll get to test the suit out the whole rest of the week.
😲

I have a question for all our UK members regarding some boots I ordered. Anyone have experience with Richa boots? I ordered a pair from Sport Bike Shop today. Same place I got my summer mesh pants from.

I was torn between the Richa Vortex boots and Spada Hurricane boots. Only went with the Richa over the Spada boots because the Spada boots had a review that stated the Spadas were not really waterproof.

Also; there were a number of reviews that stated they hadn’t actually ridden in the rain to know if the waterproof complaint was valid. The Richa boots had no negative reviews.
So, if anyone has input, positive or negative please post up. Not sure when I’ll see the boots as I only placed the order late this afternoon.

· Registered
485 Posts
I regret I can't offer any view on boots, TBH I have always found 'motorcycle' boots very poor for ergonomics. I have bought a few pairs in my time, but they always seem too bulky and stiff for best control of the bike, and I am one to think that having better control of a bike so you don't fall off in the first place 'may be' ( :rolleyes: ) more important than the protection it offers if you do.

I currently use and have found a pair of comfortable walking boots to provide the control and the protection. They seem long enough and tough enough that I am not sure dedicated boots would be that much better, but I'd be interested to hear opinions on that. Having never yet fallen off a moving motorcycle ( 🤞 ), I am rather reliant on what others might say about such things!

Not that this answers your question nor that I would feel comfortable 'recommending' that to others, but the reason I mention it is because if someone 'can' mention here their recommendations for comfortable, ergonomic boots that do the least possible to interfere with gear control, I'd be delighted to hear about them.

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have many pairs of dedicated motorcycle boots. Just no waterproof ones. Well, one pair of shorty waterproof City boots from Nankai that I got in Singapore a long time ago. Probably 17 or 18 years now.

Ive had mixed experiences with non motorcycle bots while riding. Mainly my issues are with not having a shift pad on the left boot and no ankle protection.

I’ve worn everything from high top Nikes to Doc Maertens and any work boot imaginable in between. For motorcycle boots, Alpinestar are my go to. I have a pair of GP Pros that have lasted me quite a long time and a few others that have not.

More recently I got a pair of vented mesh RS Taichi shorty boots for summer. They’re probably my favorite so far. They articulate like a pair of Nikes but have the protection I want. But they’re not waterproof.

The Nankai shorties I mentioned above are old and beginning to fail. They don’t leak or anything but the Velcro is failing. So time for new boots. Anyone have experience with Richa they’d like to share; boots or otherwise? Good, bad or indifferent?

I’ll end with, my winter gear is old. I’ve ordered a suit and boots to replace my old failing gear before they do fail.

· Registered
75 Posts
I have many pairs of dedicated motorcycle boots. Just no waterproof ones. Well, one pair of shorty waterproof City boots from Nankai that I got in Singapore a long time ago. Probably 17 or 18 years now.

Ive had mixed experiences with non motorcycle bots while riding. Mainly my issues are with not having a shift pad on the left boot and no ankle protection.

I’ve worn everything from high top Nikes to Doc Maertens and any work boot imaginable in between. For motorcycle boots, Alpinestar are my go to. I have a pair of GP Pros that have lasted me quite a long time and a few others that have not.

More recently I got a pair of vented mesh RS Taichi shorty boots for summer. They’re probably my favorite so far. They articulate like a pair of Nikes but have the protection I want. But they’re not waterproof.

The Nankai shorties I mentioned above are old and beginning to fail. They don’t leak or anything but the Velcro is failing. So time for new boots. Anyone have experience with Richa they’d like to share; boots or otherwise? Good, bad or indifferent?

I’ll end with, my winter gear is old. I’ve ordered a suit and boots to replace my old failing gear before they do fail.
I have those exact pair of waterproof Richa boots, plain black however, and so far find them comfortable. They've not been tested in the rain but certainly feel like they'll be ok. I have touring boots which I wear if I'm just out casually, or when I'm riding the Bandit as they don't really suit my leathers for longer rides. My feet are slightly different sizes, so for one, I think the left a slightly smaller (half size) boot would have been better but they don't do them, so I went for a larger pair to make both feet comfortable and wear thicker socks. My friend has the same pair but not waterproof, and perforated for riding in the summer which he has also found to be very comfortable. I'm happy with my purchase.

I've got an Alpinestars V3 Drystar textile coat, but haven't yet bothered with the matching trousers, I simply wear a good quality pair of waterproof over trousers (Oxford Stormseal) which have saved me a couple of times. They're also good for helping against the wind which is a nice bonus.

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing your experience. I also have one foot slightly smaller. My left is a 9.5 while my right is more like a 9.25.

Got notification today that the boots have shipped. Expected arrival is Monday.

I ordered the Berik suit as a full winter riding kit. Seems like wearing regular gear with rain over suit is a temporary solution rather than the fix.

I had hoped to be wearing my new riding gear but despite it arriving last night, it did not fit as anticipated.

I normally wear a Euro 56/US 46 jacket and a Euro 54/US 36 waist pants.

I eagerly opened the FC Moto box and tried the Berik Torino jacket on. Shoulders fit snug, but appropriately so. The chest, not so much.

It felt like it fit more like a 54/44 than 56/46. Which is unfortunate. I really like the jacket. Armor seems quite good and has a CE rating.

I’m going to see if I can exchange it for a 58/48 though that may not necessarily be the fix.

I’ve tried this before with Alpinestar and what I normally get is a jacket that fits exactly the same in the shoulders/back/chest but with arms 2” longer.

The pants….let’s just say they weren’t even close. I’ll give a pair of 58s a try and see if they’ll fit.

Trouble with doing that with pants is similar….the legs are usually several inches too long.

So, contacted FC Moto and already bagged and reboxed the suit. Just gotta get it down to the UPS store or post office for return.

Hopefully I’ll have a another Berik winter suit that fits in the near future.

· Registered
75 Posts
The only other thing I'd say about the boots, but this is the same with all is the material is quite stiff to begin with, and I found the zips a bit awkward at first but they should ease up. They're quite a snug fit around the ankle (likely just my shape ankle though!) so make sure your leathers are tucked neatly before you put them in the boot as space was a bit tight. Otherwise I've been happy with them.

I ordered the Berik suit as a full winter riding kit. Seems like wearing regular gear with rain over suit is a temporary solution rather than the fix.
I definitely needed (wanted) a textile jacket, but my missus suggested not to bother with matching trousers, suggesting just to wear over trousers, which in my limited experience is good for a moderate shower, or if you get caught out, but I wouldn't want to subject myself to riding for a long time in the wet. Not that I'd choose to go out knowing it was going to rain ;)

My friend has a set of Berik leathers, but obviously these aren't suitable for wet weather, so he can attest for the fit. Your Torino jacket (I quite like the colours of the black/white/blue and red, wish I could change my green one now!) looks less bulky than my Drystar, which doesn't really suit the riding position on the GSXR, the bandit being more upright it is not a problem. Although I wouldn't plan on needing to wear the textile on the GSXR as it won't go out in the rain! The obvious downside being the additional warmth of the textile vs my leathers, although I do have a casual leather riding jacket I wear with a pair of kevlars that I can fit thermals under - they're just not suitable for the wet clearly.

I agree the arms on my Alpinestars jacket are long, but not as bad as some I've worn - the most frustrating thing with mine are the velcro strips along the arms; they're long and snag on everything! The armour is superlight and really flexible, i had to ask the guy in the shop if it even had any! I've since fitted a Forcefield Pro Lite back insert as it was on sale but the Nucleon stuff is good.

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our winter months here are not drastically different to those I experienced in the UK. At least in terms of wet & cold.

When I lived in the UK, I didn’t even own a car, my bike was my only transport. So, I rode every day, rain or shine. One just gets on with it.

Back then, in my mid 20s I didn’t mind much, and didn’t even mind sodden leathers at times. Here, I have a couple cars, one with heated seats even.

I noticed that my riding skills had gotten rusty over time as Id only ride when it was nice & dry. That’s about 70% of the year here to be fair.

In 2022 I made a commitment to ride all year, only taking the car when necessary for weather. Rain is fine. Wind is fine. Rain with 50 mph wind gusts is not fine.

So far I’ve taken the car about 5 days since the rains started. Once I got my Berik suit, I thought I’d ride more comfortably and daily.

As it did not fit, I’m using some old gear that while effective, is not the best with regard to fall protection.

I really wanted a set that worked together, which is why I chose the Berik Torino Jacket and Cargo pants. The waist zip for keeping the two connected is key.

When my jacket starts to ride up in the lower back area, it’s irritating to me. This happens with any of my jackets save for my NJK leather jacket because it has a dropped back.

My Scorpion mesh jacket and my 3 Kushitani mesh jackets all have a snap tab in the lower back to prevent that, but snaps come undone sometimes.

Some time back, I got myself a set of Alpinestar mesh pants and mesh jacket. I forget the models but they zip together at the waist.

All I could think after riding with that set up was, “why have I not done this sooner?” I think the pants are Air Flow 10s ….maybe. Unsure of the jacket.

Either way, they work together seamlessly and zip/unzip from each other easily. From that point forward, I decided to buy matching 2 piece gear when available.

That’s not to say I don’t have a relative ton of jackets to wear with my Kevlar jeans or even just my armored jeans. My wife says I need another leather jacket like I need a 3rd nostril.

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After receiving a reply from FC Moto regarding their exchange policy (they don’t) and how they handle returns; I went ahead and ordered the bigger sizes I felt would work.

I have the box mostly ready for return, just gotta put a copy of the invoice on the outside for Customs and get the box to the post office or UPS store.

Probably get that done tomorrow before dinner. Hopefully I’ll see the gear early next week sometime and can write an honest review of how it works in torrential rain…or doesn’t.

· Registered
485 Posts
Size is always a concern I have, but generally have got lucky one way or the other.

I have small hands, but sometimes 'small' is too small, and 'large' is way big. One pair were so big they fitted over my existing lightweight summer gloves, so that is what I wear in cold, both pairs! I take the outer pair off, and still have flexible high control gloves on underneath. Works quite well actually, but wasn't the original plan.

Generally I am losing weight these days (intentionally, not ill or anything, trying to stay fit) and finding I am sizes smaller than I was. Bought some leather trousers 34", which is what I have been for 2 decades, to find they were too big, ordered the 32" and TBH they are still too large, the side armour is too mobile it'd get pushed out of the way if I really did start sliding. But they are not too big and I can wear a pair of jeans underneath so can do that in the cold, or if I am going somewhere can use them as over-trousers and I've solved the problem of what to wear (though I am still looking for a lightweight carry-all to put jacket and trousers in at the destination).

Returning things is always such a faff, isn't it!

The only other thing I'd say about the boots, but this is the same with all is the material is quite stiff to begin with, and I found the zips a bit awkward at first but they should ease up.
I figure the boots I have will loosten up, of course, but how and when does that happen? I mean, I am very 'economical' with my pedal movements and I don't think they'd ever soften up from riding alone, and they are not designed for walking in. So I am a bit stumped now that I have them. I can't argue they are the wrong size, shoes are even worse for fit than clothes, but the boots that showed up I think are pretty ideal on actual size.

· Registered
485 Posts
When I lived in the UK, I didn’t even own a car, my bike was my only transport. So, I rode every day, rain or shine. One just gets on with it.

Back then, in my mid 20s I didn’t mind much, and didn’t even mind sodden leathers at times. Here, I have a couple cars, one with heated seats even.

I noticed that my riding skills had gotten rusty over time as Id only ride when it was nice & dry. That’s about 70% of the year here to be fair.

In 2022 I made a commitment to ride all year, only taking the car when necessary for weather. Rain is fine. Wind is fine. Rain with 50 mph wind gusts is not fine.
I took the FJ12 through a few winters and the weather and salt really damaged it.

'Just' rain is almost fun, there is a moment when everything is soaked to hell and can't get wetter, and you just think 'C'mon, call this rain! Bring it on!'. Or maybe that is just me! 🤪

Mud and salt is shit bad for the bike and for you and your clothes, and we get that here a lot, and on small narrow roads so no 'cleaner lanes' to hide from it.

On using a bike for main transport, I am right in the middle of pondering this myself. I am wondering whether to just consider the bike to be 'primary' transport because I am in the process of selling my car, it is worth too much for me to justify the tiny number of miles I do in it, so selling it on. Question is whether to replace it with a 'banger', just in case of needing 4 wheels, or just not bother.

Obviously, if I do then I have a reason and need to invest further into riding kit, hence I have been following your posts recently.

· Registered
75 Posts
Size is always a concern I have, but generally have got lucky one way or the other.

I figure the boots I have will loosten up, of course, but how and when does that happen? I mean, I am very 'economical' with my pedal movements and I don't think they'd ever soften up from riding alone, and they are not designed for walking in. So I am a bit stumped now that I have them. I can't argue they are the wrong size, shoes are even worse for fit than clothes, but the boots that showed up I think are pretty ideal on actual size.
Yeah I find different manufacturers are different sizes, luckily I have a Sportsbikeshop on the industrial estate opposite the one I work on, and there is a J&S in the next town over so it is quite easy for me to try things on and then order them online to find them cheaper. SBS as @Yellow Submarine has found are really good, and will order things in for you to try on FOC.

Haha I figure walking around in the boots depending on what I am doing they will loosen in time, if they are anything like my snowboard boots I simply wore them out in public and at home, which have a mouldable liner, or you can use a hairdryer/body heat. I looked like a weirdo but I didn't mind 🤣 My Forma mid adventure boots are some of the most comfortable I have ever worn, even vs proper hiking boots.

I took the FJ12 through a few winters and the weather and salt really damaged it.

'Just' rain is almost fun, there is a moment when everything is soaked to hell and can't get wetter, and you just think 'C'mon, call this rain! Bring it on!'. Or maybe that is just me! 🤪

Mud and salt is shit bad for the bike and for you and your clothes, and we get that here a lot, and on small narrow roads so no 'cleaner lanes' to hide from it.

On using a bike for main transport, I am right in the middle of pondering this myself. I am wondering whether to just consider the bike to be 'primary' transport because I am in the process of selling my car, it is worth too much for me to justify the tiny number of miles I do in it, so selling it on. Question is whether to replace it with a 'banger', just in case of needing 4 wheels, or just not bother.

Obviously, if I do then I have a reason and need to invest further into riding kit, hence I have been following your posts recently.
We've got out first ride out of the season on Sunday, I've been checking the forecast and it should be dry, but cold. It's more of a causal one for charity so I will probably wear my kevlars, textile coat and the adventure boots, with a thermal base layer underneath. Question is whether I take the GSXR or the Bandit which has heated grips :sneaky: I don't tend to ride much during the winter, I live close to work so cycle and we have 4/5 other vehicles to choose from. The main reason is the idiocy of other road users when it is darker and wet 🤷‍♂️

I have a good set of winter gloves but found they don't really cut out the wind as much as I'd like, one of my friends suggested wearing latex gloves underneath and I was surprised that it works, the disadvantage is they're not breathable so your hands sweat more. I quite like the idea of a liner glove, like I have with my snowboarding ones, if I could find a pair that cuts the wind, but are thin that would be a winner.

· Registered
485 Posts
I have a good set of winter gloves but found they don't really cut out the wind as much as I'd like
Try my tip of pointing the fingers of your flattened hands over the levers (when you can do that safely), the air then diverts above and below only hits the tips of the fingers, does not chill back of the fingers like when your hand is wrapped on the grips.

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I lived in the UK, I found silk glove liners to be effective at keeping my hands warm. I only wore leather gloves then and those were effective at keeping the wind at bay. The silk liners are thin but give enough room for a thin layer of boundary air that eventually sets to body temperature.

· Token Canuck
32,186 Posts
One cheap work around for cold hands is to just scarifice a pair of warm socks. Cut finger holes in them and put them on as fingerless gloves under your go to riding gloves. Will buy you a few more degrees of riding weather. I am typically good down to mid 20’s like that.

the fingers seemed to stay warm but the tip of my thumb would get cold. Hiding it behind the bar for a minute or two solves that.

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My box o’boots just arrived from Super Bike Shop.
The only other thing I'd say about the boots, but this is the same with all is the material is quite stiff to begin with, and I found the zips a bit awkward at first but they should ease up. They're quite a snug fit around the ankle (likely just my shape ankle though!) so make sure your leathers are tucked neatly before you put them in the boot as space was a bit tight.
I absolutely see what you mean. I tried the left boot first as my left foot is slightly larger. Generally if the left fits the right will also.

Ankle articulation seems fine. Won’t know until I wear them on a ride though.

They are quite stiff as you say. Pretty sure some of the reviews on the web stated the same. Also once zipped there is no room for leathers. Particularly if your leathers have shin armor.

My plan was to wear these with my winter riding pants over the top of them. Keeps the rain out I reckon. Thus, that bit shouldn’t be an issue.

I can see how anyone with longer calves would have issues with how the boots fit above the ankle. They fit me fine in that respect but as already mentioned, I won’t be tucking leathers into these.

Foot bed feels fine just walking in the house. Toe box is a perfect fit. I have thicker work socks on so seems they’ll be perfect.

I’ll update again once I wear them to ride.
I actually don’t mind riding in the rain so long as my hands are not wet and cold, and my ass is dry. Once my ass is wet, ride over.

I agree as well, I almost enjoy rain riding. When it’s just rain anyway. I find it almost serene…mostly in that I’m usually the only one out in it.

One of my favorite rain ride memories is from my time in the UK.

I was on a ride from RAF Upper Heyford where I lived, to a buddies house on RAF Croughton. Rain was pissing down.

I crossed over the motorway and there, along a short hedge lined stretch to the Bainard’s Green roundabout I saw another bike headed towards me.

Some bloke out on his Harley! He stood up on the floor boards and raised a fist as we passed. I raised a fist to the sky as well….we were the only 2 nutters out on 2 wheels that day.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts