Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
When I lived in the UK, I found silk glove liners to be effective at keeping my hands warm. I only wore leather gloves then and those were effective at keeping the wind at bay. The silk liners are thin but give enough room for a thin layer of boundary air that eventually sets to body temperature.
Bit gutted as unfortunately the weather was not suitable for our ride out over the weekend but I did try out my inner gloves from my snowboard gloves and they fit under my winter gloves, so at least I know I can use those, although I don't know how much they'd keep the wind out. Perhaps I'll try out one of the technique's above and position my fingers out/hide my thumb. I did read your review about your heated gloves and its tempting, especially as the heated grips only help the palm.

My box o’boots just arrived from Super Bike Shop.

I absolutely see what you mean. I tried the left boot first as my left foot is slightly larger. Generally if the left fits the right will also.

Ankle articulation seems fine. Won’t know until I wear them on a ride though.

They are quite stiff as you say. Pretty sure some of the reviews on the web stated the same. Also once zipped there is no room for leathers. Particularly if your leathers have shin armor.

My plan was to wear these with my winter riding pants over the top of them. Keeps the rain out I reckon. Thus, that bit shouldn’t be an issue.

I can see how anyone with longer calves would have issues with how the boots fit above the ankle. They fit me fine in that respect but as already mentioned, I won’t be tucking leathers into these.

Foot bed feels fine just walking in the house. Toe box is a perfect fit. I have thicker work socks on so seems they’ll be perfect.

I’ll update again once I wear them to ride.

I actually don’t mind riding in the rain so long as my hands are not wet and cold, and my ass is dry. Once my ass is wet, ride over.

I agree as well, I almost enjoy rain riding. When it’s just rain anyway. I find it almost serene…mostly in that I’m usually the only one out in it.

One of my favorite rain ride memories is from my time in the UK.

I was on a ride from RAF Upper Heyford where I lived, to a buddies house on RAF Croughton. Rain was pissing down.

I crossed over the motorway and there, along a short hedge lined stretch to the Bainard’s Green roundabout I saw another bike headed towards me.

Some bloke out on his Harley! He stood up on the floor boards and raised a fist as we passed. I raised a fist to the sky as well….we were the only 2 nutters out on 2 wheels that day.
Luckily my leathers are quite tight around my ankle so I can fit them in, the fact the boots taper helps. You definitely wouldn't fit shin armour in. I have wide feet, so I found the same as you, toe space is perfect and it they are a good fit everywhere else; my feet don't move around when I'm riding. I'm glad you find them suitable and my review wasn't unjustified 😂

I tend to agree, I don't mind riding too much in a bit of rain, although I've only ever been on my Bandit or a 600 Monster in the rain, so I'm yet to experience more power in the wet from the GSXR. The cold, wet and windy certainly makes a strong case for staying at home, even if the rain was sporadic and seemed at most, a short shower. In the UK it is just so unpredictable, hence why I usually have the coveralls, however unless you can find somewhere suitable to stop and put them on but the time you do you're already wet! Maybe he was raising a fist in anger at the clouds, its a thing that happens here often, although I do commend the solidarity!

Do they make heated seats to keep your ass warm and dry 🤣

· Registered
2004 GSXR 600, 1992 GSXR 750, 1983 XN85 Turbo & some Euro bikes
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
In a find directly related to this “heated seat” thing, I found one for $2K….it’s installed on a BMW R1100R with 60K on the clocks. Looks mint. And a shafty….appears the perfect winter bike. Do they make good submarines?

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update:
Was informed my new suit arrived today. Unboxed and tried the jacket first. Fit is better than the 56, through the 58 feels like a snug 56 should.

The pants actually fit, though the 58 is 2 sizes up on the 54s they are still quite snug. I can at least fasten the waist and actually contort myself into a sport riding position without too much discomfort. This was just after dinner though, so my morning gear up might be a bit less of an ordeal without a belly full of food.

I put the Richa boots on with the pants over them…worked like it was meant to be. Pants did not drag on the floor while walking either so they’re not too long. I imagine once on the bike they’ll wind up right where they should be.

My only disappointment with these is the zip to join them does not work. Weird. It’s like the two zippers aren’t even the same “pitch”. At least the pants came with a full zipper so….I can possibly sew the zip to the flap on the jacket and make them work together. I knew that Juki full industrial sewing machine would pay off!

I guess all that’s left now is to see if I can still return the 1st set I received. Not paying some crazy exorbitant rate to send the stuff back. Prolly sell it here locally or on eBay if I can’t send the stuff back for a reasonable amount.

Tomorrow is the big test I guess. Gonna ride in to work in the new gear. Also….might see about finding a used 04-05 seat to mod with a seat heater!

· Registered
75 Posts
Hmmmm 🤔 fair point. Might have to look into that.

Maybe those cheap heated grips could be made to work….slide under the seat cover….re-staple and voila!

🤣🤣🤣
Jokes aside I retrofitted heated pads to some car seats years back, so it is certainly do-able, whether it is worth it or not is another matter :sneaky:

Update:
Was informed my new suit arrived today. Unboxed and tried the jacket first. Fit is better than the 56, through the 58 feels like a snug 56 should.

The pants actually fit, though the 58 is 2 sizes up on the 54s they are still quite snug. I can at least fasten the waist and actually contort myself into a sport riding position without too much discomfort. This was just after dinner though, so my morning gear up might be a bit less of an ordeal without a belly full of food.

I put the Richa boots on with the pants over them…worked like it was meant to be. Pants did not drag on the floor while walking either so they’re not too long. I imagine once on the bike they’ll wind up right where they should be.

My only disappointment with these is the zip to join them does not work. Weird. It’s like the two zippers aren’t even the same “pitch”. At least the pants came with a full zipper so….I can possibly sew the zip to the flap on the jacket and make them work together. I knew that Juki full industrial sewing machine would pay off!

I guess all that’s left now is to see if I can still return the 1st set I received. Not paying some crazy exorbitant rate to send the stuff back. Prolly sell it here locally or on eBay if I can’t send the stuff back for a reasonable amount.

Tomorrow is the big test I guess. Gonna ride in to work in the new gear. Also….might see about finding a used 04-05 seat to mod with a seat heater!
That's good then, although it's a shame about the zip. What would be nice is if all manufacturers used the same size. I know a lot come with the zip loose so you can sew them in as you said, but I have different jackets I wear with my kevlars, which means they have different size zips, so instead unproductively I haven't stitched in any of the zips!

I bet the weather tomorrow will be dry, with the sun shining, which is obviously not a problem but I guess the real test is inclement conditions, although I suppose at least you can test how comfortable they might be. How long is your daily ride?

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Not tremendously long or even what I consider long. It’s 7 miles from house to work. It is nearly all semi urban so lots of traffic signals and major intersections. The last mile or so, nearest the airfield is sorta rural. There’s an ID check before entry too.

Still, if I get caught at every light, it’s a 15-20 minute ride. I’ve caught every green light before and made it there in 10 minutes. Including the ID check.

Even that can take a while as the number of people who get turned away at the gate has risen in recent years. It isn’t like there aren’t giant signs telling everyone what’s ahead. Nor lack of places to turn before the gate.

Anyway, it’ll have to wait a day. Pissing down this morning. Winds over 20 mph too. Think I’ll take the SUV instead.

· Registered
5,882 Posts
Anyway, it’ll have to wait a day. Pissing down this morning. Winds over 20 mph too. Think I’ll take the SUV instead.
I've been lurking on the thread. This reminds me of this awesome scene from Caddyshack:

· Registered
75 Posts
Not tremendously long or even what I consider long. It’s 7 miles from house to work. It is nearly all semi urban so lots of traffic signals and major intersections. The last mile or so, nearest the airfield is sorta rural. There’s an ID check before entry too.

Still, if I get caught at every light, it’s a 15-20 minute ride. I’ve caught every green light before and made it there in 10 minutes. Including the ID check.

Even that can take a while as the number of people who get turned away at the gate has risen in recent years. It isn’t like there aren’t giant signs telling everyone what’s ahead. Nor lack of places to turn before the gate.

Ah ok, not too far then, although I get that having to stop at traffic lights and junctions is not ideal, especially if its wet!

My ride to work is ~2miles...so I have to be creative with the route to even give the bike sufficient time to warm up 🤣 it sometimes takes longer to get all the gear on than to ride! Not worth it at this time of the year really. I usually cycle, even if its raining, unless it's really bad weather in which case I'll take the Jeep :sneaky:

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
What are those numbers? Not chest size, surely, wouldn't you flatten the poor bike!? :oops:
What he said^^^

But yes, chest size. I spent a great deal of my spare time in my younger days in the weight room. I generally wear a US 46 jacket though some, like my leather flight jacket is a US 48.

Way back when I was in my late 20s/early 30s and fit like a draught horse, I had the same size chest/back and a 28” waist. Sadly, as I’ve gotten older my waist size has ballooned to a 36 where it’s been since my mid 40s. It takes increasingly more work to keep it a 36.

Not for any vanity reasons…I have too much $$$ invested in riding gear to just say to hell with it and let myself get fatter. FWIW, at age 56 now, and 5’9” tall; I’ve weighed roughly the same for the last 15-16 years. 210 lbs. Roughly 15 stone I reckon? Hardly a weight that would flatten a bike. Might be hell on the rear shock though! 🤣

· Registered
75 Posts
What he said^^^

But yes, chest size. I spent a great deal of my spare time in my younger days in the weight room. I generally wear a US 46 jacket though some, like my leather flight jacket is a US 48.

Way back when I was in my late 20s/early 30s and fit like a draught horse, I had the same size chest/back and a 28” waist. Sadly, as I’ve gotten older my waist size has ballooned to a 36 where it’s been since my mid 40s. It takes increasingly more work to keep it a 36.

Not for any vanity reasons…I have too much $$$ invested in riding gear to just say to hell with it and let myself get fatter. FWIW, at age 56 now, and 5’9” tall; I’ve weighed roughly the same for the last 15-16 years. 210 lbs. Roughly 15 stone I reckon? Hardly a weight that would flatten a bike. Might be hell on the rear shock though! 🤣
Still lighter than riding with a pillion! Although these bikes aren't really designed for that of course :sneaky: To be fair I imagine a bit of weight on the bike helps to keep it more planted, I'm quite light and find myself bouncing around a bit if the road is a bit uneven; there's a rough part of the M25 which is bad enough in a car, let alone on a bike! Maybe I need a stiffer rear shock 🤷‍♂️

On another note, did you manage to get out today and test the new gear?

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If that means today, like Wednesday the 11th, then yes. 😁

I rode to work this morning. Temps were 50 ish F. So not at all cold, just a tad on the chilly side. Rain was off and on…though not really rain…more like a medium drizzle if that conjures up a picture.

The boots were effective. My feet were warm and dry when I got to work. My only gripe is the sole is sorta slick on the foot pegs.

My left foot continually slid around as I shifted resulting a more than a few missed shifts. Took some getting used to but I kinda got it to where I at least reduced the missed shifts.

Beyond that, my initial impressions are positive. The jacket and pants as a combination are kind of a wash. The zipper to join them does not work at all. I don’t know if the zipper has a defect on one side or other but they don’t zip together.

As protective gear, my initial impressions are also positive. The jacket kept me warm and dry as did the pants. The armor in the pants had to be adjusted as for some reason with all my textile pants, the knee armor wind up fully to inner side of my knees.

I had hoped these would be the exception to that but unfortunately not. At least there is enough wiggle room to get them where they need to be when on the bike. Beyond that niggle they’re good. Hip armor stays put. The back rises high enough that there were no issues despite the zip not working.

Zero issues with the jacket though. It was warm enough out that even once moving at speed down the road I didn’t get chilled even without my electric vest. No water intruded on any of the seams or zips.

The real test will be the ride home. Supposed to be raining much harder by go home time so that will test how well the water proofing holds up. Kinda looking forward to it!

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Got home without any real issues. It was a real deal test of the water proofing for sure. It was raining moderately when I got outside to the bike. Once I took off from under the overhang outside my office it wasn’t really coming down, but that changed pretty quickly.

It hammered down a few minutes later while I was waiting on a traffic signal. If I had to guess, it was probably every bit of 1/2” an hour rate of rain fall. Big heavy drops hammering down in a full on down pour. If I needed to test the kit in real conditions I certainly got to.

I gotta say the boot soles are now irritating with how slick they are. More missed shifts all the way home. Just not something I ever had issues with before. They seem fine on the asphalt but on the concrete outside my office door….slick enough to bust my behind if I’m not careful.

· Registered
485 Posts
What he said^^^

I guess you are quite muscular at that height, weight and vocation history. I trust you're happy with body image as you're willing to discuss on public forum?! :D :cool:

I just wrote some comments on that subject, but was off topic so expanded on it here - Rider weight and suspension settings (chat).

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I guess you are quite muscular at that height, weight and vocation history. I trust you're happy with body image as you're willing to discuss on public forum?! :D :cool:
I’m 56 man. I don’t obsess over body image anymore. I’ve been married almost 3 decades now. As long as my wife is happy with how I look then I don’t have to impress anyone else.

Not that I’ve given up on my fitness ever. I never wanted to be the guy who gave up on staying in shape because I got married. I had to stop lifting due to injury. So I took up bicycling to stay in shape.

Now we’re in the gym 2 days a week running on the treadmill and doing squats to try to get back in shape for spring when the bicycles will come out again.

I may try to split my commute again this year and ride my bicycle to work too. I skipped that this past year as I made a promise to myself to ride a motorcycle everyday possible.

I’ve not missed more than 2 days a week since last March when I made that promise. Well…except when we took vacation and I didn’t have a motorcycle to ride.

· Registered
75 Posts
Got home without any real issues. It was a real deal test of the water proofing for sure. It was raining moderately when I got outside to the bike. Once I took off from under the overhang outside my office it wasn’t really coming down, but that changed pretty quickly.

It hammered down a few minutes later while I was waiting on a traffic signal. If I had to guess, it was probably every bit of 1/2” an hour rate of rain fall. Big heavy drops hammering down in a full on down pour. If I needed to test the kit in real conditions I certainly got to.

I gotta say the boot soles are now irritating with how slick they are. More missed shifts all the way home. Just not something I ever had issues with before. They seem fine on the asphalt but on the concrete outside my office door….slick enough to bust my behind if I’m not careful.
Sounds like the suit has done its job and your review is mostly positive, although the zip does seem like its an issue. I've found armour positions a bit hit or miss; they've obviously been designed for an average, and I have also had problems in the past with knee protection especially. I don't think it is something that can be easily fixed, unless you have the pockets restitched or similar to your own position I guess. I've always been pleased with my jacket, granted it is a different brand, but your comments regarding trousers makes me feel like I should probably get a pair (even if its not matched with the jacket brand wise). How well do the trousers cut out the wind?

I must admit I hadn't used the boots in any heavy weather so I couldn't comment on the grip of the sole when it was wet. I'm sorry you've been having problems with them. I don't recall them being too bad on the pegs, but then it was a while ago I rode wearing them and it was warmer then! Do you have any thoughts about what you're going to do about them?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts