Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my name is Mace.
Sometimes, I like to wrench on bikes that have minor issues.
anyway enough talk
here is my new bike. what do you think?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
It's junk. New frame, new fork, new front wheel, new radiator, new rear suspension..... it'll cost you more to fix than a 2013 or even newer ready to ride. Part out what's good (dibs on the rear wheel assembly) and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
What do I think? I think you and I have different ideas about what "minor issues" means. That said, I still have a soft spot on my head for the 04-05 generation 600. Good luck!

·
Banned
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice join date, and thank you for the wish of luck.
I will begin by trying to revive the engine. Usually I would hotwire it first to save money, but I may gamble today and get a key made instead.
Then I will try to turn the bike over, after some Marvel Mystery Oil down the bores. The gearbox is selecting all gears, so that was a good sign.
I will post up pics and a running tab as I go
(crosses fingers and pray to the Bike Gods it runs)
275$ initial investment
EDIT; Went to locksmith and almost knuckled up after he tried to price gouge me.
Decided to make a pigtail to test the engine first before sinking any money into the build.
first cycle, STVA operates although the secondary butterflies were removed
engine turns over quickly and all for cylinders have compression.
Tomorrow I will hope to fire it up
vid

·
Banned
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@billv Thanks for posting my friend, I will likely add that tool to my arsenal now that I know it exists!
@Winchester Boy Congratulations on your recent Mod status. I will remove and replace frame, The frame will be used to get my aluminum welding skills up to par.
@F1ngers Thanks bro and thanks fellas for dropping by the thread.
The fiasco at the locksmith started with a phone call, I politely asked how much to make a key for a removed moto ignition. Upon arrival, the employee raised the price 40 dollars, took the ignition out of my hand and said "we will call you in a few hours". I said " Im not paying the 125 after I was quoted 85 on the phone." The employee went on to insinuate I never made the call and proceeded to call the owner to verify while speaking in hebrew thinking I would not understand a few words. After the owner verified my story, the employee was giving some attitude which i fired back at him immidiately.
Long story short a staredown ensued that ended in me snatching the part back from his hand and asking him to step outside.
So i just hotwired it in 5 minutes/0 dollar cash fix
Initial investment still hovering at 275....................running engine/broken frame and subframe/wasted front end
But I know a guy.
\Anyway, enough blabber.
The Bike Gods have decided to allow this bike to run again.
the 1 header is leaking and that is the ticking sound, otherwise I think we are all systems go for the work ahead. (also some smoke burning off from the lubricants added to bores and head)
vid

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you haven't already noticed. You need the AccuReader SUZ12/SUZ18. There's a Youtube video showing it being used.

I was wondering about the frame.

·
Banned
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@billv Thank you for that tip. I will likely invest in that tool soon.
It may be a while until I update this thread as I try to bargain with my parts guy to barter breaking bikes for a discount on parts.
See you soon and its cool to be back at GSXR.COM

·
Banned
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Bartering some wrench time led to a discount on a donor gsxr600.
There are some issues with some broken frame slider bolts, I hope to tackle that today and begin the build.
Running tab
275 initial investment
950 for donor bike with clean title (with the agreement of entire bike disassembled and all parts labeled and bagged. ( minus the parts agreed upon in sale)
hovering at 1225 which is more than I hoped to spend, but in the effort to get to work, i just made it happen.
Im shooting for the below pic in the end.
A kind of beat up race bike that is street legal.

·
Banned
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Donor bike stripped. All items tagged and bagged. This concludes the barter wrench time and allowed me to place the alternate engine into the streetable frame.
Now I can relax and repair the dented header and radiator while I wait on parts

Engines swapped. Its like a Lego set for adults

·
Banned
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Header dent removal write up;
My welding skills are sub par, and I began to burn through the exhaust even at LO setting. I did however get the plate welded on, with some minor pinholes.
I then went back to my roots and used old school jbweld to tighten up the job.
Any experienced welders out there who can throw me a bone as to how to accomplish this task cleaner next time?
anyway, waste not, want not. header is operational although not pretty.

Cut out back.

Pound out with BFH.

Fail welding with welder to hot. Note pinhole on right.

Recoup embarrassment with the victory overall.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,979 Posts
Sorry WB, I am old - not sure what this BFH is you whippersnappers are on about.

Reactions: DEATHWISHRIDERS
1 - 20 of 21 Posts