Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so thursday i wrecked my shit. it tumbled and rolled about 300-400 feet. the battery was ripped out and thrown out of the bike. got a new battery but now when i try and connect it the starter tries to start the bike even with the key off?? and with the key on and i hook up the battery it will start if i give it some gas but after its started it will rev as if held at WOT and i just have to undo the battery again?? I checked the throttle cables under the gas tank and they work fine with the bar.. any thoughts on whats wrong would be hella appreciated.. i want to get this fixxed asap

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! where exactly is the starter relay? And any ideas as to why it might be stuck at WOT?? like i said i checked the cables and they are fine?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i located the starter relay.. there are supposed to be 2 wires coming off of it underneath the fuse. only the red wire is there and its missing the other wire, what is that missing wire supposed to go to and where does it connect? also where is the red wire supposed to go? (the positive on the battery?) any help is appreciated. im goin to pick up a new relay tomorrow. also could this broken relay cause the bike to be stuck at WOT when started.. im surprised it still starts at all..

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Not exactly sure what wires go where, but it's obviously grounded out somehow and you probably need a new one. You might be able to compare it with a similar bike if you have access to one.

As far as being stuck on WOT, that isn't related, you probably munched the throttle cable or throttle assembly. Take the airbox off and visually check if the (lower) throttle butterflies are moving correctly in response to the throttle.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
The throttle body may be damaged, the return spring may have gone, the choke cable may be jammed. Can you physically pull the butterflies back into normal position? Glad you are still ok to ride another day though!! Even if your bike isn't.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so i pushed them closed and checked them with the throttle and they wont open or close with the throttle.. but the throttle cable on the left side of the tank moves freely

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
I'm not in front of your bike to look at it, so I can only have a rough idea of what is going on from your descriptions. The bottom line is, you thrashed your bike pretty bad, and it probably needs more help than you can get from an online forum. Sort of like performing open heart surgery by posting questions on openheartsurgeon.com.

You pretty much have to dismantle your bike, check all the cable linkages, brake lines, engine oil, alignment, and a whole bunch of other things to make sure everything is in order. Either take your bike to a shop, or have a mechanic buddy go over your bike. You have a lot of troubleshooting in order.

Example:

1. Throttle twists, throttle plates don't move.

2. Something broken between throttle, and throttle plates.

3. Figure out what is broken between those two.

4. Look up parts on http://www.ronayers.com or some similar site.

5. Get parts. Or McGyver a fix.

·
Registered
90 Posts
quick question while on this topic is the starter relay normally closed or normally open? Because if it's normally closed all it may need is a new ground wire to perform correctly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
quick question while on this topic is the starter relay normally closed or normally open? Because if it's normally closed all it may need is a new ground wire to perform correctly.

yeah the ground wire was ripped out clean.. the new relay should be here tomorrow or saturday.. and as to it being stuck at WOT no i wasnt at WOT when i wrecked... i was deffinatley all on the brakes, the gauge cluster was at about 5500 when i found it amongst the wreckage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
whenever i get the bike to a steady idle i will take it to the dealer to let them work out the rest of the throttle issues.. i dont really feel like f**kin with it anymore. its time to let the professionals take over, at least as far as the engines concerned.

·
Registered
433 Posts
it must have been close to WOT then. Cuz if it slid 300 to 400 feet and you were all over the brakes for the tach to be stuck at 5500. Thats alot of rpm's. take the msf course next time. Maybe next time you wont be as lucky to be alive. These bikes arent toys you know.

·
Registered
354 Posts
For those who replied with smart ass comments.
First of all there are 2 types of riders, those who have fallen and those who will. Why the hell give the guy a hard time cause he fell and is asking for info on how to fix it. Im pretty sure we have all had stupid moments on the bike or else we wouldnt be riding a sports bike. WOT?????? Who hasn't? Some of you guys are really funny making comments or blaming a guy for being on WOT.
Good luck on your bike man, if you were around NY I would be happy to help you out :thumbup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it must have been close to WOT then. Cuz if it slid 300 to 400 feet and you were all over the brakes for the tach to be stuck at 5500. Thats alot of rpm's. take the msf course next time. Maybe next time you wont be as lucky to be alive. These bikes arent toys you know.
Thanks for your words of wisdom.. the bike didnt slide 3-400 feet it went to the grass and FLIPPED AND ROLLED 3-400 feet, it might of been stuck at 5500 because amongst the flipping and rolling it might have hit the throttle... and its not the first bike i wrecked and in no way do i think it might be the last. shit happens, and it happens everyday to different people. im not to worried about being alive or else i wouldnt be on a 1000. i wear a helmet, jacket, gloves ect.. im not saying just gear is gonna save my life.. but i did WALK away. minor bruises and scratches dont bother me.. thanks for your AWESOME advice tho.. good lookin out :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.