Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems there's a bunch of people that say clean the pump filter, but I couldn't find a write-up so I made one today...

I've been having fuel issues lately, went through all kinds of electrical tests and injector cleanings, then I found the filter was COVERED in gunk and tank poo.

1: Remove tank and then pull the fuel pump. It might be stuck to the tank a bit but it will pop out, slide it straight out.

2. Remove the three nuts holding the wires to the base, then remove the screw from each side of the fuel pump. You can see on of them in the pic.

3. Hold the top of the pump and separate it from the base, there is a rubber o-ring inside that makes it a little tough to come off. Look at the nasty shit on the bottom of the filter! It doesn't even look like a filter!

4. Dirty as hell screen!

5. Remove the plastic pieces holding the screen in along with the rubber piece.

6. Using a flat head screwdriver, work the filter off the plastic piece. When you put it back in, make sure it is seated all the way.

7. Spray the crap out of the screen with cleaner, stick the straw inside the filter and spray out. Nice and clean again!

8. Clean the base too.

9. While you're at it, you should clean the tank with kreem A & B or an equivalent product. The tank probably has some nasty stuff in there if the pump filter was dirty.

10. Put it back together and go ride!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Matt750GSXR: what year is your bike? your assembly looks significantly different from the K5-K6 1000s . Where's the secondary filter in that assembly? and the pressure relief valve?
You gotta find them and backflush....specially if your primary filter was that bad of shape. Nice write-up

·
The Dude
4,386 Posts
I believe its a 2001 GSXR 750......I think anyway.
Damn, you can tell by looking at the pump? :headscrat
I've never had one apart.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Matt750GSXR: what year is your bike? your assembly looks significantly different from the K5-K6 1000s . Where's the secondary filter in that assembly? and the pressure relief valve?
You gotta find them and backflush....specially if your primary filter was that bad of shape. Nice write-up
I was wondering about that too. What do you use to do the back flush? Compressed air?

The only other thing I would add is that my K1 service manual warns to replace all O rings with new ones to avoid leaks. As far as I know, I think this is because gas expands rubber O rings and they may not fit properly with reuse. If you didn't do that you might want to check for leaks under the tank now and then and at minimum change the tank O ring the next cleaning. That could get ugly :headshake .

Thanks for the pics. I'll be doing this in the spring and it will help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yeah its off an 01, ill look for the secondary filter when i get to the garage, i haven't tested it yet im cleaning treating the tank also i should have some results by sunday

1 - 20 of 44 Posts