Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,217 Posts
Would soaking in the filter in Seafoam be an effective alternative?
That sounds like it would be safe. Back flush it, soak it with SeaFoam then back flush it again to remove the stuff the SeaFoam loosened.

·
24,632 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It is a good product and if it dissolves residue it may clean the filter better than using mechanical force to move solid particles. I'd likely set my compressed air to about 50 psi to be just above the operating pressure of the filter and hope the 5 or 10 psi difference is enough to dislodge anything shoved in there at 40 psi from the other direction.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I seems to me that these filters work quite well. As not everyone has this issue with them, I'd say it is caused by the quality of gas being pumped through them. I mean there really is only one way dirt and grime gets into a gas tank. I don't have such a setup in my garage, as of yet. I would think it be fairly simple to come up with a good reliable bypass setup, with an external filter. I would have to have one apart to figure it out though. I am confident that having the filter before, or after the pressure relief would not make a difference in performance until said external filter becomes too clogged up.

On the other hand, I have found a replacement stock filter (for an '02) for $200. That's steep for a filter, but in the big picture, it's not that bad for something that only needs to be replaced every few years at most.

Just a couple thoughts on it. I can tell you, when I have one that needs this filter replaced, I will be figuring out if an alternative can be made to work.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts