Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my bike started acting funny today, it would bog down in second gear and then later on in the day all gears. I thought it may be the spark plugs because who knows when the last time they've been changed?! Anyway pull the gas tank back and pulled the air filter and took a peak in that smaller compartment past the cylinder heads and I pull this small spongy shit out that keeps disintegrating.... my first thought was a second smaller filter thats just old af and falling apart. My chick seems to think its metal shavings soaked in oil. Pics attached. 16181936017468009305620244220962.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,740 Posts
It is a sponge type thing that is supposed to catch the oil mist from the crankcase breather. Yes they get old and disintegrate. You can get a new one from Suzuki but some have also fashioned something similar from a scrub pad.

I don't think this is your running issue.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
611 Posts
I haven't seen one that long but it's normally a drain plug that catches water from the breather filter. I'm used to it being translucent so you can see the water level.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
John and Chuck have those 2 things correct.

I can just about guarantee it's NOT your spark plugs either. More than likely it's a fuel issue. A fuel flow test, volume / time is pretty easy to do. It's in the service manual. That can be downloaded, and often for free.
Could be a lot of things- kick stand switch no staying up tightly, etc.

There are lots of trhreads about the Pair valve. MOst likely it's already been plugged somehow. Don't worry about that now either- it would not cause it to bog while running. The fuel delivery will.

Good luck, let us know about the fuel flow test.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its hard searching in the manual that I downloaded. They all point to pg 100 no mater what I search. Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Since you have the airbox out, look at the frame right in front of the airbox. You see a black component mounted there?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not around my bike atm. It quit charging and got me stranded last night. So I bought a new battery ( Stupid ) and then it quit registering neutral.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Can you get or borrow a simple multimeter, and see what the Stator is putting out? And the battery, etc. This is a k5/6 1000, right? This year is NOT known to go thru stators or rectifiers like some of the 600/750's were.

See what the stator is putting out, battery, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll have to get back to that later, I found a very talented tig welder whose repairing the lower half of the crank case. But we need a special tool to pull the whatever this thing is called?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Done and done. Still leaking.

Maaaan!!! How hard is it going to be to swap out the bearings from a 600 to 750? I'm literally done with this engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts