Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Looks like some very intuitive programming. Seems very granular. Too bad neither of us can use it, Tin, lol...
Ok, this is intriguing;) Why do I feel like Homer Simpson sitting at the nuclear plant’s control-panel pondering his next button push, when all his coworkers come down on the elevator and when the elevator door opens Lenny quietly tells them “Wait, he’s about to do something stupid.”? lol

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well my friend in Plant Automation Technology (the IT/PAT mentioned above) came through with the laptop today. I got the Woolich software installed, downloaded the bin file definitions, transferred my bin file to the laptop and it's now ready to connect to the bike. It's just a matter of time (and not much at that) until I can get back out there, pull some plastic & the seat off, fire her up & spend a little computer time with her to do the Read ECU & see what it looks like compared to stock. Fuel & ignition files should be the same since I asked Schnitz not to adjust them.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Had a little time before having to attend a funeral today, so went out & hooked up the laptop to the bike. First I tried to do a simple read of the ECU serial & part numbers but got an error message that it was not getting a response from the ECU. Tried again after doing the easier probable fixes that were suggested in the error message, but then got an error saying the COM Port could not be opened. One of the remaining possible fixes said COM Port drivers (if needed for my device) could be downloaded from the Woolich site. Apparently they are not needed because the Woolich site says the USB D v3 (aka interface) does not use a COM Port and instead uses a standard USB device driver. This driver is working properly because the laptop recognizes the USB D v3 in the Device Manager.

So, on to the next possible fix… checking harness connections, and here is where I believe the problem is. Specifically in Section 4 of the installation instructions where a 2-wire (one green and one blue) extension connects between the 8-pin Yosh plug and pins 17 and 29 on the ECU’s black connector. The two connectors that go to the Yosh plug were easy to install, but the two connectors that go to the black ECU connector are not so easy. And they’re delicate too. Ample warning is given about the need for proper orientation and seating of the wires into the connector and this is where I think I did not do it properly the first time, despite having thought I was.

Got it to the point where I was ready to reinstall the wires but time ran out and I had to leave for the funeral, so next step is to correct the pin installation on the black connector. Here are a couple of pics of the work in progress as it is now. Hopefully I’ll be able to get back to it before the weekend.

20200226_113151.jpg 20200226_113545.jpg

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
“Houston, do you read?”

“Affirmative, Space Cadet. What’cha got.”

“I managed to correct my wiring screw-up on the black ECU connector and have established communication with the computer. Read function on the ECU Serial # and Part # is complete, as is the Read function of the ECU bin file.”

“Copy that, Space Cadet. Stand by for further instruction, and for land’s sake don’t go messing with any fuel maps and leaning out the AFR too much. We don’t want you lighting up the sky in a ball of flame and destroying our beautiful blue machine; Houston out.”

“Roger that, Houston, Space Cadet out.”

·
Registered
271 Posts
“Houston, do you read?”

“Affirmative, Space Cadet. What’cha got.”

“I managed to correct my wiring screw-up on the black ECU connector and have established communication with the computer. Read function on the ECU Serial # and Part # is complete, as is the Read function of the ECU bin file.”

“Copy that, Space Cadet. Stand by for further instruction, and for land’s sake don’t go messing with any fuel maps and leaning out the AFR too much. We don’t want you lighting up the sky in a ball of flame and destroying our beautiful blue machine; Houston out.”

“Roger that, Houston, Space Cadet out.”
???

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You can remove the ecu & take it in your house.

Have you noticed a decrease in fuel economy? These flashes generally messes with the fueling when you shut the throttle off.
Finally got a refill after the flashed ECU was put in, MPG was 44.6 on that tank. Can't complain.

However, after reading the bin file I have (so far) noticed two things Schnitz says they did that the bin file read doesn't agree with. They said they increased the rev limiter to 15,000 rpm but it still shows to be set at 14,500, and they said they changed the fan setting to come on at 90 C but it still shows 100 C. I'm not saying that I want the settings where they say they changed them to, and I'm quite happy that they are where they are, but it does give me pause about trusting their integrity as far as doing what they say they will do.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm really not trying to turn this into a Schnitz Racing bashing party (so please correct me if I am misunderstanding something) but the more I look at their work the more I find. The pic below shows the Secondary Throttle Plate position tables as read in the Woolich Racing software; on the left side of the table is a stock bin file and on the right side is the bin file from the flashed ECU. Back in post #18 I listed the things they said they did to the ECU, one of which was "Secondary Throttle Blades Open More Aggressively and Stay Open" yet the STP values in each bin file are exactly the same. Am I misunderstanding what I am seeing?

Also, to correct a mistake I made in post #32 where I said they set the Fan On temp setting to 100 C...bin file shows it is 105 C On/100 C Off (stock).

I'm beginning to believe that all they did in the reflash was to remove the stock limiter settings (which the WRT software shows they actually did).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Finally got a refill after the flashed ECU was put in, MPG was 44.6 on that tank. Can't complain.

However, after reading the bin file I have (so far) noticed two things Schnitz says they did that the bin file read doesn't agree with. They said they increased the rev limiter to 15,000 rpm but it still shows to be set at 14,500, and they said they changed the fan setting to come on at 90 C but it still shows 100 C. I'm not saying that I want the settings where they say they changed them to, and I'm quite happy that they are where they are, but it does give me pause about trusting their integrity as far as doing what they say they will do.
Sorry, did you send your ecu to schnitz? Or they're another software?

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sorry, did you send your ecu to schnitz? Or they're another software?
Yes, one ECU was sent to Schnitz Racing in Decatur Indiana and was reflashed by them. This is the spare ECU I mentioned at the start of the first post in the thread and is the ECU I have installed in the bike.

My other ECU is the original stock ECU that came with the bike.

The Woolich Racing software was purchased by me and is installed on my home computers but I have not done a flash on any ECU with it yet. So far I am only viewing ECU data with it.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I’ve come to some initial conclusions about the Woolich USB D v3 & software package. I have found it to be very good for doing many things like reading/writing ECU’s, removing factory limiter settings, viewing and adjusting fuel maps, ignition maps, STP maps, exhaust-valve settings, etc, etc, etc. Also, if you make mods to your bike such as installing a slip-on & mid-pipe or replacing the stock steering-damper with an aftermarket, you can remove the fault codes that will be generated by removing the stock units. And you can do these things without paying someone else to flash the ECU for you. But, for me personally, one of the best values is that it’s an excellent training platform to learn what ECU flashing and engine tuning is all about. For $318, I think it’s an outstanding investment.

Even more can be done with the Log Box D v3 setup with its on-board memory card and wideband O2 sensor that allows for live engine data to be recorded while riding. An optional AFR display can be mounted for visual monitoring but the Log Box records much more useful AFR parameters onto the memory card, which can be downloaded into the WRT software.

Just my take on it so far in the short time I’ve had it installed and have been looking into it. The quest for understanding continues. It’s a little surprising that none of the flashing/tuning guru’s are chiming in but then again I have always been more of a learn it on your own type anyway.

The Log Box D v3 & Zeitronic ZT3 wideband O2 sensor kit has been ordered and shipment will be processed soon.

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
Pretty much the way I learn as well. I would want a bone stock known good ECU on the shelf as a spare though...I tend to fix things by breaking them....

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Pretty much the way I learn as well. I would want a bone stock known good ECU on the shelf as a spare though...I tend to fix things by breaking them....
I can relate to that, and is why I have the factory ECU in a zip-loc bag & boxed while I play with the $150 spare ECU. The Woolich software also has a "Return to stock" flash function if a return to square 1 is necessary.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts